Is anyone familiar with the "I Naibi Di Giovanni Vacchetta" deck?

fractalgranny

i just got this deck and find it fascinating but a bit confusing to read with. i think it's because it LOOKS like TdM or something "traditional" in a symbolic sense but it isn't. it's one thing when something tarot of the celtic faeries comes in with its own wild and woolly interpretations but another when i'm "fooled" into thinking this is the usual fare. so of course i'm intrigued but it's taking me a bit longer to read. the four cards with vacchetta's signs on it, proclaiming he's made the deck: one is an ace, the other three a deuce. hmmm. the queen of wands that acts like a queen of pentacles. the six of swords that carries much of the symbolism of a six of wands. the five of wands that shows no sign of conflict.

does anyone know how the keywords for the LS version came about? many of them make sense in terms of the images (although one has to stretch one's imagination quite a bit with the "poem" for the knight of cups), and of course many of them are quite removed from tarot 101 type keywords. i'm not quite sure what to do with those keywords. usually i try to stay away from cards with keywords but i really wanted to have this deck :)

FLizarraga

i just got this deck and find it fascinating but a bit confusing to read with. i think it's because it LOOKS like TdM or something "traditional" in a symbolic sense but it isn't. it's one thing when something tarot of the celtic faeries comes in with its own wild and woolly interpretations but another when i'm "fooled" into thinking this is the usual fare. so of course i'm intrigued but it's taking me a bit longer to read. the four cards with vacchetta's signs on it, proclaiming he's made the deck: one is an ace, the other three a deuce. hmmm. the queen of wands that acts like a queen of pentacles. the six of swords that carries much of the symbolism of a six of wands. the five of wands that shows no sign of conflict.

This is a quirky Italian deck that predates the RWS in over 10 years and belongs to a different tradition altogether, so I wouldn't bother trying to reconcile the images with Waite's meanings. To a certain extent, the Vachetta is its own thing.

fractalgranny

This is a quirky Italian deck that predates the RWS in over 10 years and belongs to a different tradition altogether, so I wouldn't bother trying to reconcile the images with Waite's meanings. To a certain extent, the Vachetta is its own thing.

oh yeah i realize that. it's just that my little brain gets confused. it's like a dog that wants to go down a certain route and i have to yank on the leash to turn left instead of right. :)

KristinCali

I just want to chime in here! I have the Il Meneghello version and it is one of my all time favorites. I LOVE the colors, love the unglossed cardstock, love the square and slightly rough edges. It's such a raw deck. I like to read with this one when I don't want so much imagery. Kind of when my brain is in a funk, this deck can get me out :)

FLizarraga

oh yeah i realize that. it's just that my little brain gets confused. it's like a dog that wants to go down a certain route and i have to yank on the leash to turn left instead of right. :)

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't precisely "discard" Waite when I'm reading Marseille decks, either. My personal method is pretty eclectic as these things go.

It's just that this particular deck sort of forces you to discard a lot of preconceptions at the door (even stuff much older than Waite and the Golden Dawn and all that song and dance) and look at its cards with fresh eyes. Like KristinCali says, it forces you to just be present.