Is Reading For Yourself Dangerous?

Abrac

In the book, Signs Of Things To Come, by Angus Hall, the author states that reading for yourself is too introspective and therefore dangerous.

Has anyone else heard of this, and/or have you experienced negative consequences from reading for yourself?

fools_fool :)

Kahlie

This is an odd warning

Hello,

I used to read regularly for myself with Daily Cards, to get to know the Deck. I never felt any adverse effects. I usually ask for advice on the day, or the lesson I should learn.
I have also done bigger Readings for myself, never a problem. Every week I do an Oracle Reading with my lover. We only experience benificial effects.

I think the only possible problem with Readings for yourself is that you are not objective and start the bend the cards towards your solution instead of really Reading them. In time some people learn not to do that, and some don't. Some never have the problem in the first place.

Kahlie

Sulis

I've read for myself since I started using tarot.

Tarot has helped me through some difficult times.

I don't think it's dangerous.

Love

Sulis xx

WalesWoman

If being introspective is dangerous... there are a lot of 'self-help' books that are dangerous, meditation would be dangerous, facing who you are is dangerous... talking to a psychologist would be dangerous...

I think the only danger would be, becoming too self absorbed and egocentric, turning everything into "Me" without regard to others. Using Tarot as a tool for personal growth and development has been more beneficial than anything I've tried yet, because it's helped me discover the areas within that I need to look at. What is more important is taking what you learn from your introspective wanderings, getting it into perspective and applying it to your life.

P.S. I"ll second what Kahlie said about sometimes, not really READING the cards and taking it at face value, then freaking out about it. (Not exactly what she said, but ...) It can be hard to be objective reading for yourself, but is worth it, pretend you are reading for someone else.

tmgrl2

While I don't read for myself often....

I do.

Not dangerous.

Good guidance and the cards are usually the right ones.

terri

Rachey

fools_fool said:
Has anyone else heard of this, and/or have you experienced negative consequences from reading for yourself?
Nope I haven't.

I think reading for yourself when starting to learn tarot is very helpful, it's a great way to get to know your cards. I've done loads of spreads for myself and I wouldn't say it was dangerous at all, I don't really see how it could be

Whitestar

I read for myself regularly...and have always found it helpful.

Once or twice I have been truly, truly shocked, but I don't think that's the same as being dangerous---although if someone was in a precarious state of mind/emotion perhaps info. could be extremely upsetting. Is this what the author was writing about??

Abrac

Whitestar, that wasn't really said specifically but may have been implied.

The context within which this assertion was made was the subject of doing your first reading. He says you should read for someone else and not yourself because it's "too introspective and therefore, too dangerous." Another warning he gives about reading for yourself is that "the magic of the cards can work against you if you do."

LOL Everyone knows when you warn someone about doing something dangerous that's exactly what they do, so maybe that was his intention.

fools_fool

jujubee

WalesWoman said:
If being introspective is dangerous... there are a lot of 'self-help' books that are dangerous, meditation would be dangerous, facing who you are is dangerous... talking to a psychologist would be dangerous...

Exactly- reading for yourself IF you aren't too biased can be an eye-opener and a very valid and wonderful way of learning about your needs and guide you towards a better path. I can't imagine learning the tarot if I didn't read for myself honestly and that is where my passion began in the first place.

ariela

I have read many, many self help books. And while they helped, tarot has guided me. I read for myself all the time and it really has been very benefical. I have a tendency to over analyze according to my reading today. I ask the same question 90 different ways. LoL.

Love and Light,
Ariela