Is there a list of companies that blacklist fortune tellers?

danieljuk

Paypal can be quite moralistic as an organisation, they won't allow any adult entertainment payments or to some charities or groups or some interests. However they don't seem to have a problem with divination or the aeclectic as yet.

I think it's important to know the companies who are friendly or unfriendly to us but I can see closerwalking's point about using the term 'blacklisted'. Sometimes that is the case though.

I know ebay had a real problem with people selling spells and readings that were "virtual" and then customers complained to ebay and demanded a refund because they didn't get what they wanted (but that doesn't mean the order wasn't fulfilled). I think now all readings and everything on ebay has to have a physical *something* to fulfil! I also noticed on etsy that sellers are giving something physical for an order, however I also noticed a lot of very expensive "spells" for every occasion and they do it on your behalf and you don't get anything physically.

There is probably a difference from shops having trouble with customers complaining about virtual orders and shops literally throwing off tarot readers for some moral or discriminatory reason.

Disa

I read tarot at a Renaissance fair last year and we used Square to collect payments.

Good to know. After I had signed up with Square, I read in the terms of service"no occult items". It didn't specify what was considered occult, so I guess it could be whatever they deem unsavory at the time someone complains? I haven't used my square once because of this.

seven stars

Well, I wasn't thinking it would be a good idea to make a list of places that I personally wanted to blacklist or that I thought others should avoid, I was more interested in a list of known places such as that newspaper where you might not realize ahead of time that there was intolerance behind the scenes, or that you'd get cancelled once you've already invested your time & energy with them, that sort of things - people who have blacklisted US.

As far as dressing the part I only change my attire for fun for Halloween. I think, with what I personally do, it's more important to dress like I'm "me" more than a character - I don't want there to be anything fake about it or misleading.

seven stars

Stripe

I wrote to Stripe and asked them if Tarot Readers / Fortune tellers were not allowed and they sent me this note:

Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately we aren't able to provide our service to Tarot Readers at the moment. Our financial partners impose some fairly strict limitations on the type of businesses we can work with, and this business type is on the excluded list. You can view our prohibited business list here:

https://stripe.com/us/prohibited-businesses

To be clear, this is not because there's a problem with the Tarot and Fortune Telling industry. A few bad actors in the sector can unfortunately result in our financial partners being unwilling to accept the risk of providing credit services to this category of business. I'm sorry we can't do better for the Fortune Telling Community.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The odd thing is, I looked through their list and I'm not seeing anything about fortune tellers or mystics or anything, unless they're putting it under the category of Unfair, Predatory or Deceptive Practices....that's kind of sad.

Obsydian

I have a shop through Storenvy that is set up to accept Stripe, I wonder what would happen if somebody were to use it? There seems to be no way to deactivate it without having to contact Storenvy and that's just too much.

zannamarie

I wrote to Stripe and asked them if Tarot Readers / Fortune tellers were not allowed and they sent me this note:

Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately we aren't able to provide our service to Tarot Readers at the moment. Our financial partners impose some fairly strict limitations on the type of businesses we can work with, and this business type is on the excluded list. You can view our prohibited business list here:

https://stripe.com/us/prohibited-businesses

To be clear, this is not because there's a problem with the Tarot and Fortune Telling industry. A few bad actors in the sector can unfortunately result in our financial partners being unwilling to accept the risk of providing credit services to this category of business. I'm sorry we can't do better for the Fortune Telling Community.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The odd thing is, I looked through their list and I'm not seeing anything about fortune tellers or mystics or anything, unless they're putting it under the category of Unfair, Predatory or Deceptive Practices....that's kind of sad.
Under "Regulated Products and Services" --> products and services with varying legal status on a state-by-state basis.

There are states which have laws on the books making fortune-telling illegal. I seem to recall Pennsylvania being one of them.

- - - - - -

Edited to add: Psychic services is specifically listed under "High Risk Businesses" as well as a lot of other businesses which don't seem high risk, but then again it's their money so I guess they can decide what they consider high risk.

Finch

Good to know. After I had signed up with Square, I read in the terms of service"no occult items". It didn't specify what was considered occult, so I guess it could be whatever they deem unsavory at the time someone complains? I haven't used my square once because of this.
I've bought from vendors using Square at plenty of pagan and occult events in the past. I can't imagine it would come up unless someone complained.

seven stars

Under "Regulated Products and Services" --> products and services with varying legal status on a state-by-state basis.

There are states which have laws on the books making fortune-telling illegal. I seem to recall Pennsylvania being one of them.

- - - - - -

Edited to add: Psychic services is specifically listed under "High Risk Businesses" as well as a lot of other businesses which don't seem high risk, but then again it's their money so I guess they can decide what they consider high risk.

I don't think she was referring to state by state regulated products and services when she wrote about a few bad apples.....

Disa

I've bought from vendors using Square at plenty of pagan and occult events in the past. I can't imagine it would come up unless someone complained.

Oh! TY for mentioning that. :)

Metafizzypop

I also saw "psychic services" mentioned on that page, as part of their "high risk businesses." It's under the "Products or services that are otherwise prohibited by our financial partners" heading.