Lenormand vs. Tarot

Nevermore

The Mystical is messed...in a cool way. Like a fever dream, but painless. I guess vivid is the word. But the French Cartomancy looks so much more gentle and reminded me of some books I used to read when I was little. I'm going to wait for the Mystical, first seeing how the FC is for me.

Nevermore

I just found Wolfy James' page of the Mystical Lenormand and regret choosing the French Cartomancy over it. (sigh)
Edit: Too bad it would be expensive shipping as Amazon ...OH!
TG, how I love thee.

faunabay

Nevermore said:
The Mystical is messed...in a cool way. Like a fever dream, but painless. I guess vivid is the word. But the French Cartomancy looks so much more gentle and reminded me of some books I used to read when I was little. I'm going to wait for the Mystical, first seeing how the FC is for me.

The first lenormand deck I bought was the Mystical. I love it. The artwork is beautiful. But.... The next deck I bought was the Blue Owl. It's more historically oriented and a bit more simple with the symbolism and artwork. And that's what I found I like better for the lenormand decks.

While I love the Mystical, I like reading with the Blue Owl and the Piatnik lenormands better. The mystical, IMO, is more like tarot in that your eyes can be drawn to different symbols in the art and you could get different things each time you read with it. Which is good but doesn't lend itself to learning the straight forward style of the lenormand. At least at first.

I'm not sure I explained myself the way I meant to. Because the Mystical is an extremely cool lenormand but just not for me right now to actually do readings with. I love my blue owl and piatnik better.

Skydancer

First; yes, that's the Mystical. And it is like tarot in that there is a lot more going on then just the Lenormand symbol.

Second; I like the Blue Owl, french whatever, because it's simple, country, and non-cluttered. It's the image. Nothing to draw the eye onto something eroneous.

There are a good dozen Lenormand decks out there - I have 2 - Blue Owl and Mystical. Blue Owl has a nice country feel to it - Mystical is .... well, cluttered. In a tarot sort of way. Nice, but maybe too much so for true Lenormand readings.

Just my newbie take on things. Don't regret your choice in deck, NM. You have probably done well!

======

There is no comparison between Len and Tarot. They are 2 different animals, in my humble opinion. There is overlap to be sure - but the approach and the intuition muscles needed to understand them are quite different. But boy is this fun!! :D

*S*

stella01904

I actually prefer the French Cartomancy. It's a copy of an antique deck, it's gorgeous. Second favorite would be the Piatnik. The Mystical just has too much pseudo-esoteric pretention, IMHO.

6 Haunted Days

I don't get all these comments about the Mystical being cluttered or being too like tarot, and that the added imagery could mess with your readings. You pull a card and it's the Cross card say, well that's it. I'm not searching the picture for meaning, any added images on the card is just eye candy, the Cross is the only symbol that has any bearing on the interpertation. At least that's how I see it and use it.

faunabay

6 Haunted Days said:
I don't get all these comments about the Mystical being cluttered or being too like tarot, and that the added imagery could mess with your readings. You pull a card and it's the Cross card say, well that's it. I'm not searching the picture for meaning, any added images on the card is just eye candy, the Cross is the only symbol that has any bearing on the interpertation. At least that's how I see it and use it.

I know I will beable to do that in the future, but with me just learning the lenormand right now, and being so used to tarot that searches for other meanings, I find it easier to use the less busy decks. I love the Mystical. It's beautiful and I'm pretty sure I'll use it in the future. But for right now my brain works better with the simpler lenormand cards.

The mystical was my very first lenormand deck I got. The LWB said to go through the cards first before reading the meanings and write down what you "saw". Most of them I was right on with the true lenormand meanings.

Now remember this was before I had ANY exposure to lenormand at all. I hadn't read anything about meanings or the true way to use them. I was about as new as you can get with them.

So with about 5 or 6 of them I focused on other things in the picture because I didn't know what I was 'supposed' to be focusing on. In particular the ring (I focused on the bird) and clover (I focused on the ladybugs). And the coffin I saw the egyptian aspect of it. I didn't even "see" a coffin really. So these things are why it's easier for me to LEARN with another deck. You don't have those other images to confuse you. (or me!) LOL You really only have the one image you're supposed to be focusing on and that's it!

Skydancer

Miss 6 ~ ~

I know what you mean; a ring is a ring whether it's wrapped in a ribbon or held by a magpie.
It's just that my "tarot eye" keeps wanting to go looking deeper. :laugh:

Just got the Piatnik today. Now that is my favorite - then Mystical, followed by Blue Owl. The Owl's playing card area is just a little large, IMO. But again - a tower is a tower is a ship is a child ....

I am SO enjoying this new study. I never would have picked up Lenormands if Sylvia hadn't posted. :)

I can see where this way of "divining" has its place. Different from Tarot. Depends on what the client is looking for I guess.

*S*

stella01904

Agreed, if the added imagery messes with a person's readings, they really need to work on their concentration. I'm sure I could read with them, the art just looks
a little D&D to me. It's fine for someone who likes that kind of thing, just not what I look for in a Lenormand. Personal taste. :)