Looking forward to the WILD Kuan Yin Oracle!

Madrigal

Very interesting. Thank you for stating in this way: 'the lwb falls short when it descends into the idea that Mary is somehow outside of us, a separate body.' I just realized too that Fairchild wrote the mother mary lwb. Maybe that's our connecting thread as to why we're still talking about both decks. lol. Even though i've now read it in several sources i keep forgetting that kuan yin is a mary figure (and presumably vice versa). I'm actually running into weird obstacles w/ the levine book I checked out on kuan yin; i feel his authorial presence too much in the retelling of kuan yin's history, or i just dont like his voice. Shdn't prevent me from getting the history i'm after, and i'm kind of surprised i'm taking as much issue w/ it as i am, especially seeing as i read some of Levine's death and dying essays in a psychology class in grad school.

My experience of Mary spans lineages and traditions Tara, Kuan Yin and others all feel like emanations of this aspect of the Goddess. If you want to read a wonderfully earthy and beautiful account of Maryam, as she's known in Islam, giving birth to Jesus you'll find it in the Koran. The description is so embodied as she grabs hold of a date tree with each contraction, digging her bare feet into the earth, sheltered by this tree in the desert and the date tree responding later with a shower of dates to replenish her after birth. Nary a wiseman to be seen anywhere. She's revered in the Islamic tradition.

I love a separate thread for us to focus on mother Mary deck. As someone who grew up in the tradition of the older church in the East I learned to see her in the same light as other more traditional / native goddesses, a personification of the Divine. The Yin to a lot of traditional beliefs' Yang. A much needed maternal hug next to a more authoritative and a slightly too grand for a cuddle, albeit loving, paternalistic God head.

I love how you describe your experience of Mary. And I'd love to hear more about your interface with her. I'm always fascinated by the early religious experiences that shape us and how our innate spirituality grows out of that outer form for better or worse depending the tradition one grew up with.

The Happy Squirrel

My experience of Mary spans lineages and traditions Tara, Kuan Yin and others all feel like emanations of this aspect of the Goddess. If you want to read a wonderfully earthy and beautiful account of Maryam, as she's known in Islam, giving birth to Jesus you'll find it in the Koran. The description is so embodied as she grabs hold of a date tree with each contraction, digging her bare feet into the earth, sheltered by this tree in the desert and the date tree responding later with a shower of dates to replenish her after birth. Nary a wiseman to be seen anywhere. She's revered in the Islamic tradition.

I love how you describe your experience of Mary. And I'd love to hear more about your interface with her. I'm always fascinated by the early religious experiences that shape us and how our innate spirituality grows out of that outer form for better or worse depending the tradition one grew up with.

Ah. I am glad you mentioned this. My Muslim friends indeed call her Maryam. Or Mariam. And they call Jesus the prophet Isa :)

I feel such comfort just listening to Mother Mary being discussed here. Let's start a new thread and I would love to hear more and share more :)

Dark Victory '39

As someone who grew up in the tradition of the older church in the East I learned to see her in the same light as other more traditional / native goddesses, a personification of the Divine. The Yin to a lot of traditional beliefs' Yang. A much needed maternal hug next to a more authoritative and a slightly too grand for a cuddle, albeit loving, paternalistic God head.

This is great, squirrel! Such evocative language. I'm laughing at the 'slightly too grand for a cuddle.'

Dark Victory '39

If you want to read a wonderfully earthy and beautiful account of Maryam, as she's known in Islam, giving birth to Jesus you'll find it in the Koran. The description is so embodied as she grabs hold of a date tree with each contraction, digging her bare feet into the earth, sheltered by this tree in the desert and the date tree responding later with a shower of dates to replenish her after birth. Nary a wiseman to be seen anywhere.

I do want to read this. Thank you. I would say as a whole I've had a hard time connecting w/ any concrete image of the divine, male or female. As someone who's been working for several years w/ the maha mrityunjaya mantra, which is shiva's mantra, I've experimented w/ visuals that somehow embody both the yang and the yin, shiva never being w/out his shakti. It's a huge energy connection, but there are often times when i wish i could visualize a god/dess in a human body, and i can't say i've felt a close kinship w/ the typical shiva images. The representation i work w/ the most on my altar is a round (yin) black obsidian dial w/ a white candle sitting in the middle of it; that's as far as i'm willing to go w/out having a gigantic phallus/ lingam haunting the altar. lol. My personality is actually quite yang, and i often feel and wish for more yin both in my own person, and in dealing w/ the world as a whole.

Madrigal

I do want to read this. Thank you. I would say as a whole I've had a hard time connecting w/ any concrete image of the divine, male or female. As someone who's been working for several years w/ the maha mrityunjaya mantra, which is shiva's mantra, I've experimented w/ visuals that somehow embody both the yang and the yin, shiva never being w/out his shakti. It's a huge energy connection, but there are often times when i wish i could visualize a god/dess in a human body, and i can't say i've felt a close kinship w/ the typical shiva images. The representation i work w/ the most on my altar is a round (yin) black obsidian dial w/ a white candle sitting in the middle of it; that's as far as i'm willing to go w/out having a gigantic phallus/ lingam haunting the altar. lol. My personality is actually quite yang, and i often feel and wish for more yin both in my own person, and in dealing w/ the world as a whole.

Love this, DV! Walking our authentic path is a path within a path. Shiva in his Narayan form feels very accessible to me. Some of the Tibetan goddesses are quite yang--the fiercer emanations of Tara, Vajra Yogini, Machig Labdron though she is poised on the threshold of yin and yang, active/receptive for me. I used to wish I was drawn to various ways of worship/devotion/prayer but over the years I have come to realize that the very individuality of my inclination was itself a path, a mystery, a deep teaching. The way it is for all of us if we're open to listening.

For a new thread, I wonder if it wouldn't be better suited in the Spirituality forum? Or perhaps the wish is to keep it focused on the Mother Mary Oracle?

The Happy Squirrel

For a new thread, I wonder if it wouldn't be better suited in the Spirituality forum? Or perhaps the wish is to keep it focused on the Mother Mary Oracle?

I was just thinking this :) and I am inclined to feel that perhaps the Spirituality section....?

Dark Victory '39

I'm up for whatever! Yes, i agree the thread has gone its own merry way away from talk about the original deck.

I do have another piece of info about the wild kuan yin oracle tho that might be useful to anyone on the fence about the deck. There are several cards that i think are so unique for an oracle (again, take this w/ the grain that i dont have the breadth of having experimented w/ tons of decks). There's a card where the advice is look to your environment for hidden signals, maybe its seeing an-- she doesn't use the word omen-- but basically beneath the surface current of your life the divine is trying to communicate w/ you. Assuming none of us are suffering from Clerambault's syndrome, this to me is kind of a fascinating card. There's also one for-- crap, i hope i dont butcher the language--but it's the card where if i had this deck a couple years ago when i was trying to decide about how much more energy to invest in something i'd been deeply invested in for five years, i think i would have been able to let go a little sooner. But the advice kernal is not simply about letting go. More complicated, and the language actually does a nice job of planting tiny feelers that this is not a bad card, even if you have huge HUGE issues about clinging to a thing that has been dearly important. I think what i'm basically saying is, i'm finding a lot of nuances.

Madrigal

I do have another piece of info about the wild kuan yin oracle tho that might be useful to anyone on the fence about the deck. There are several cards that i think are so unique for an oracle (again, take this w/ the grain that i dont have the breadth of having experimented w/ tons of decks). There's a card where the advice is look to your environment for hidden signals, maybe its seeing an-- she doesn't use the word omen-- but basically beneath the surface current of your life the divine is trying to communicate w/ you. Assuming none of us are suffering from Clerambault's syndrome, this to me is kind of a fascinating card. There's also one for-- crap, i hope i dont butcher the language--but it's the card where if i had this deck a couple years ago when i was trying to decide about how much more energy to invest in something i'd been deeply invested in for five years, i think i would have been able to let go a little sooner. But the advice kernal is not simply about letting go. More complicated, and the language actually does a nice job of planting tiny feelers that this is not a bad card, even if you have huge HUGE issues about clinging to a thing that has been dearly important. I think what i'm basically saying is, i'm finding a lot of nuances.

Ok, I'm intrigued as I find so many guidebooks don't work with language in the kind of oblique way that oracular exploration is rooted in. There are a few cards I've seen online that I'm curious about, curious about how the LWB might translate that into an inner journey. DV, would you be willing to share a little about what the guidebook says about Blue Mother, Yellow Mountain, Gibbous Moon? It's such an evocative title and the image is so spacious but I have the expectation that I'll be let down by the language.

The Happy Squirrel

DV, would you be willing to share a little about what the guidebook says about Blue Mother, Yellow Mountain, Gibbous Moon? It's such an evocative title and the image is so spacious but I have the expectation that I'll be let down by the language.

Is that the name of one deck or three....? Can't seem to find any images on line....

Madrigal

Is that the name of one deck or three....? Can't seem to find any images on line....

It's actually the name of one of the cards in the WKY oracle. Here you go...

Wild_Kuan_Yin_Oracle_card_sample_4_zpskb7yuc6k.png