Ms Kill the Messenger returns...

catlin

Apollonia said:
In my experience, people who will abuse you in one situation will abuse you in another, because they don't value themselves enough to value others.

Good point, Apollonia, sad but true!

@magpie9: if you feel uneasy reading for your friend, then don't do it. She only wants to hear the things she likes to hear? So why wasting your talents on her? It will only end in a quarrel between you and her. She loves straightforwardness? So why do you not tell her simply that you don't want to read for her because you think it may endanger your friendship as the last reading was a bad experience for you? You are the reader, you can choose whom you want to read for.

Fulgour

lark said:
So now she was in the cat bird seat...
And I was not the messenger the cards were.
Hi :) lark! Excellent suggestion!
I had a hunch but you nailed it.

lark

Fulgour said:
Hi :) lark! Excellent suggestion!
I had a hunch but you nailed it.

Yes, your hunch was what reminded me of the problem I had with this particular friend, and how I solved it, or should I say the cards solved it.

Her bug a boo was always saying, "No, that can't happen, that will never happen, that's impossible." to every single thing I said.

Then she would call me later and tell me those very same things did come to pass, but that she thought it was just a coincidence.
And then would proceed to spend time convincing herself on the phone that the cards were really alot of hooey and it was just chance that they were right ...and oh, by the way, when can I get another reading?

Brock Johnson

I can kind of understand where you are coming from. I do not read professionaly seeing as I just turned 16 less than a week ago! I am trying (if you read this in another forum) to teach a girl that I know how to read tarot. She seems kind of interested but she thinks that it's a hundred percent accurate and that you can tell anything. She also just wants to hear the positive.

So, as we both go through challenging times, I empathize.

Brock Johnson

Demon Goddess

lark said:
Yes, your hunch was what reminded me of the problem I had with this particular friend, and how I solved it, or should I say the cards solved it.

Her bug a boo was always saying, "No, that can't happen, that will never happen, that's impossible." to every single thing I said.

Then she would call me later and tell me those very same things did come to pass, but that she thought it was just a coincidence.
And then would proceed to spend time convincing herself on the phone that the cards were really alot of hooey and it was just chance that they were right ...and oh, by the way, when can I get another reading?

She sounds to me also as a perfect candidate for learning to read for herself. I'm sure that every amateur reader and pro reader alike will thank you for it. ;) I love reading so much, I would hate to be in such a position. But I will remember Lark's advice.

With love.

magpie9

You guys are great--such good advice, such common sense--thank you all. I try not to chicken out on my life, but there are times when I get really close. Of course:rolleyes: she does not read the Tarot. But she did just buy a copy of the Hallowqust deck, and I agree, it' definatly time for her to begin to learn to read.
Lark, I'm gonna do it your way. You are Brilliant--I keep having to say that to you, because it's true. And she knows I don't teach beginners anymore, so ther'll be no attempt to hook me into becoming her teacher. Fulgoar, Bless You for bringing up the idea. I do believe it'll work.
And I am feeling suddenly more couregious about simply saying no, thanks to the collective wisdom of all of you that responded to my post.It's a good reminder that as reader, I do control the reading,-(if not the content there-of!)- however much my friend would like that not to be true.
A Psychic I work with tells me that he has had this problem a time or few, and that he simply and sincerely tells them that he is just not the right reader for them, and recomends other readers. And while I feel she won't go for that, it does remind me --again--that I am the reader, and I am in charge. And I have to hold strong with that core thought, no matter how I handle it.
[size=+2]Thank you all soooo much !![/size]

Grizabella

I'm chiming in late on this because I haven't been well and haven't been spending much time here. But the taping of the reading sounded like a great idea to me-----but not for the reason it might seem like. It sounded so great to me because then she'd hear and/or (if videotaped) see herself and her part in the readings and that might just be the best medicine for her right there. :p

purple_scorp

Hey Lyric,

yeah, that was one of the other reasons why I suggested taping the reading. I wonder if she is aware of what she is really like????

with love
purple_scorp

lark

Brilliant? "blink, blink" me?
Hey, you just made my morning.
Maybe not so much brilliant as war torn, saddle sore and gone through the wringer! LOL
Necessity being the mother of all invention.

taping would be great if you could stand going through another reading with her...
hearing herself might pull her up short...but then again she might just think she has superb questioning abilities. :D

September Pixie

I'm glad things are working out well for you magpie! :) It does sound like its beyond time for her to read for herself! Let us know how it turns out when you have that converstaion :) Best Wishes!!