Negative aspects of The King of Cups?

Frannie

What I know about this person is that it is wise, calm, diplomatic, caring, tolerant... but there must be something negative about him! All the info I have that he kinds of represses his own creativity and that he has some sort of disturbed emotions because of the repression of these, and he may even act extremely angry and violent. Is this true? and then again, what are the negative aspects of this King?

Furnacechant

Hmm...I had always heard that cups in general were often artsy types, not at all repressing creativity but maybe rather over-emotional...

Certainly, being a sextuple water sign, that's the kind of personality *I* have and would expect the court of cups to be people I can relate to well!

Heloise

The negative aspect that I know is that he can be rather difficult to get to know. He isn't upfront and forthright. His feelings are hiddern. I guess it depends on the person, some people might find this difficult.

Grizabella

I think maybe someone who is overly sensitive. Gets their feelings hurt very easily. Not a real manly type of guy---kind of a wimp. Constantly needing reassurance. Emotionally draining for a romantic partner. Maybe emotionally unstable.

I don't mean to imply that I think all King of Cups guys are this way, but you asked for some negative aspects and those are the ones I can think of.

starrystarrynight

I've also seen this guy as someone who has been hurt in past relationships--even going as far back as the relationship with his parents, which he may never have reconciled within himself. So, maybe he feels those deep feelings, but he also sometimes keeps them hidden within himself. This makes him somewhat romantically unapproachable in the deepest sense. He never really allows himself to let those deep feelings flow to the surface...but when and if they do, he can be very explosive emotionally...he is someone you don't want to cross when this happens.

Therefore, while you think that he is feeling what you are feeling, and he gives the impression that his feelings are deep, he really has those emotions under tight wraps. He's a good listener because he has been through it all himself, though. But he is not about to let himself get hurt like that again when aspected in this way.

Astrae

He may have a tough outer shell, which can be compensating for his sensitive nature, which he may view as a weakness. I, like Solitaire* said, have always kind of seen him as emotionally unstable, and possibly requiring a lot of reassuring and reinforcement.

Cups are the suit of emotions and creativity, which don't mesh too tightly with the Kings need to be in charge and in control. He may represent someone who takes risks to pursue a dream, no matter how foolish the risks may be. He may also be someone who forsakes a passion in order to find monetary gain.

I've personally always seen him as kind of a solitary, lonely person. He's surrounded by people, yet he looks so distant, like he's keeping himself locked away in some inner prison.

jayem

a nagative aspect of the king of cups, to me, is that this card represents hidden knowledge and emotional manipulation. when talking about a person, they are a born diplomat, but use their creative brain to make things go their way instead of brawn.

Bridget

jayem said:
a nagative aspect of the king of cups, to me, is that this card represents hidden knowledge and emotional manipulation.

I agree with this. I also think the Kc tries to avoid conflict, so when he's unhappy about something he can be passive-agressive.

snowRaven

To me, his negative side is that he's somewhat emotionally damaged - not all that comfortable with himself.

And as someone said, a bit of a wimp - his feminine and masculine sides clash, sometimes for good and sometimes for bad.

Glass Owl

-hidden violence
-danger of drug addiction
-easily seduced
(Source: Illustrated Tarot Spreads by Heidemarie Pielmeier and Marcus Schirner)

I would also add:
-Danger of alcohol addiction
-Danger of having mental/emotional problems
-Very sensitive (which can lead to whining, worrying a lot, etc.)
-Emotionally unstable or mood swings
-Pushes blame onto others
-Manipulator
-May appear proud and standoffish (trying to protect his heart) ex. Mr. Darcy