Negative aspects of The King of Cups?

aurora-paige

Wow... looking through these there are a lot here that I would have said. (emotionally unstable, secretive, manipulative, etc.) But I would like to add that I see the King of Cups as someone who lets their heart rule over their head which can lead to the sensitivity he is credited with. Also someone who likes to over-indulge which can lead to addictions.

arachnophobia

Negative aspects of the King of Cups?

Who said 'he' = a 'he'?

According to the Myers-Briggs typology, I fall exactly into that of the King of Cups, and I = a female! Hence, 'he' = my personal significator!

I do relate to a lot of the foregoing posts, especially about (frustrated) creativity, (damaged) emotions, taking foolish risks to achieve an impossible dream, not trusting others not to hurt oneself again, damaged, indeed, estranged relationships with parents, becoming a 'good listener' through knowing it all oneself, etc., hence the need for solitude, secrecy, a somewhat hermetic life. (I changed my birthday from a sidereal Pisces to that of a sidereal Cancer, hermit crab, lol!) I don't know about "passive-aggressive" or "manipulative", however... I would rather just withdraw into my own little shell, so no one can hurt me again (with several cups of the good stuff, to dull the pain... I can still "drink like a fish"! lol)

But I still manage to do a bit of good in my own little community, in a volunteer capacity, as support worker to the intellectually disabled!

Signed, the (female) King of Cups

P.S. Gender has nothing whatsoever to do with court cards!

P.P.S. Centrelink, our Australian welfare agency, also concurred with my GP's diagnosis of "borderline personality disorder", but I still wonder about this, and how can a doctor "dia-gnose" you (i.e. "know you through and through", according to the Greek), after only one meeting anyway?

Chiara

Still waters run deep. Calm on the suface but the undercurrents are in movement. He sometimes seems to be hiding the things he cannot express on the surface. Don't let that calm exterior fool you...make him mad and the waters wll become turbulant like the ocean in its fury.

mystic mal

I am a female King of cups too and I did laugh at your say Spiderwoman (I cant spell the other one) You could have been writing that whilst I dictated for me (and my ex!).....I think the deeper reason is that his/her worst fears are loosing the ones they love and they make it a self fulfilling prophecy by either being too clingy too possessive or controlling too needy etc until in the end they push that person out of their life,at the end of the day their passion becomes com..passion

greycats

He may also love drama in his life and may feed on emotional tension which he'll create if it doesn't exist in sufficient quantity.

Thumbnail negative: emotions rule him instead of the other way around. ;)

Mellifluous

I don't believe he has much of a 'negative side'. (Speaking in terms of the card as 'he', because as was rightly pointed out, gender really means nothing when applying court cards to people.) I think it is more a question of compatibility and what you value in a person, or what you desire in a certain situation.

If you want drama (and booming proclamations and getting off on physical showmanship and maybe a bolder sense of adventure), you won't find it in him - unless it is literally through being involved in the dramatic arts. [Think maybe king of wands instead.]

The king of cups has mastery over his emotions, creativity and intuition. That's why he is the king. He is the culmination of his suit.

If you want someone who is money, money, money all the time and steady, unwaveringly dependable, and probably conservative (and kinda boring, dismissing the arts or anything that can't be proven to be of 'practical' use), it won't be him. [Think maybe king of pentacles instead - who also tends to be authoritative in the name of security. Sometimes that can be attractive, sometimes repugnant. Tomato, tomato.]

If you want someone who is extremely cerebral or philosophically pondering the rights and wrongs all the time, trying to bring Great Ideas into reality to Better Society, it probably won't be king of cups because he gives emotions and intuition their fair weight. [Think maybe king of swords instead.] King of cups brings art - and perhaps other things to life - but without so much pondering or Momentous Weight behind it all. He just gets on with it without intellectualizing so much. He's got the human touch, as they say, knows how to put people at ease and get to the heart of matters - to just make things peaceful, beautiful and resonant - therefore things flow faster with more calmness and less struggle.

If you prefer another sort of king, I suppose that is where you will find your 'negative' aspects. :) Just remember they all overflow into each other as well. Everyone's got all 78 cards in them over the span of a lifetime, no matter how closely they seem to resemble any particular court card.

Hope that helps.