Not so great reading experience...

HearthCricket

I wasn't sure where to put this, so mods, move as you feel fit!

Last night I went to our local metaphysical shop and while there found out there was a lady doing "Angel" readings. I never had one, so figured, why not? She seemed pleasant enough and pulled out one of her Doreen Virtue decks and shuffled very lightly, pulled 4 cards and read the meanings on them, just like you or I could do. She didn't embelish much on them and when she was done, I had to point out to her that she didn't read the last card. She held it up in front of my face as it said something like "Your problems will be resolved" and said that says it all, I can't embelish on it. I felt like saying "try".

I am not sure what exactly I expected for 20.00 for 15 minutes, but I expected more than this. She really had no talent for reading and the next time I go into the store, they will be asking me how it went. The owners are wonderful people and now I have to find a way to tactfully tell them their reader basically stinks. While there I did hear the owner say that one client had cancelled on her, no one was waiting and that no one else was signed up for the night. Plus she said she had done the schedule for the next few months and she was not on it because they had "no room". I wonder if they already have had complaints or something, but I know them...we get all chatty, so anyone have a nice suggestion as to how I break this to them, politely? The reading wasn't worth 20.00. It wasn't even worth 5.00, to be honest with you. I have had other readers and healers from this store and they have been awesome. This lady was just completely lacking in any reading ability. I walked away feeling absolutely no connection with the reading, reader, angels or anything! So, went home and did a reading for myself with the same deck. lol Ah, sigh....

Alta

I wonder if the Doreen Virtue attracts this type of reader. I had exactly the same thing happen, only it was one card, not four. She had me pick a card. She got out the booklet that comes with the deck and read what it said for that card. I waited to see if there would be amplification, but zip. And this lady has told me she communes regularly with angels and they help her with touch healing. hummmmm

As for your question, be direct. Don't break it to them gently. Just honestly say what happened and your reaction. They are in business and don't want their rep harmed through lousy readers.

Marion

Sinduction

How about tactfully saying that you don't believe she is the type of reader they are looking for? If they want more I would tell them that she only read off the cards. I mean, it's the truth right? I think you said it great right in your post.

I experienced one of my greatest reads for $20 in 15 minutes. He was amazing! But then I also had one guy who kept telling me I needed to go to Florida even though I don't know anyone there. He kept saying I would go, but I never did.

So yeah, people are going to expect more than someone reading off the cards. I would have asked for my money back. Or at least complained to someone in charge. But that's just me.

Good luck!

sweet_intuition

Wow, that seriously is a bad reading. I think it beats the time one "gypsy psychic" was describing the kind of "woman" I'll marry. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I'm the biggest faerie this side of town.

Anyway, from what I feel, there are two scenario. One could be that she is a relative or a friend/acquaintance of either the owners or one of the other readers who needed the job desperately and thought she could "Miss Cleo" her way and get some cash before she wound up washing dishes in a diner at graveyard shifts after waiting on cops, 'ladies and boys of the night', and the usual delights that stay up that late.

Another could be that maybe she is new to reading, and perhaps she is trying to build up her own confidence regarding her abilities. True, $20 is way way too steep to charge for 15 minutes for that kind of reading, but maybe in time she could truly live up to that expected level.

Although, a friend of mine who strictly reads oracles told me that usually the querent has to find his or her own meaning to the messages on the cards, especially the Doreen Virtue decks, as at times what the reader interprets of the meaning of the two line meanings, could be completely different from what the querent got out of it.

An example being, I always finish my tarot readings with a guidance reading from my Goddess Guidance deck by Virtue, and once got the card of Diana - Focused Intention. My querent read it and from it she felt compelled to stop focusing on her dysfunctional relationship and focus on finishing her college degree, and the reading she had come for was regarding something totally different. Just thought this example could help.

Love and Blessings

:)

HearthCricket

Marion said:
I wonder if the Doreen Virtue attracts this type of reader. I had exactly the same thing happen, only it was one card, not four. She had me pick a card. She got out the booklet that comes with the deck and read what it said for that card. I waited to see if there would be amplification, but zip. And this lady has told me she communes regularly with angels and they help her with touch healing. hummmmm Marion

Hmmmm is right! She didn't pull out the book. Maybe she should have. She would have told me a lot more, at least! lol But seriously. I find these decks are quite nice when read with a lot of intuition and can be very helpful, but she just had nothing else to add to it all, other than the meaning written right on the card. It was horrible, really. That is why I pulled out mine and did a reading. I haven't even read the books but I was able to do a much fuller reading with the cards. Like you said, perfectly...no amplification. And you are right, I will be honest. I just want to be kind and polite about it. But they do know me and I think they trust my opinion. Afterall, I walked around the store with the owner's daughter's rat on my shoulder, while shopping, to the utter dismay of my husband (he who freaks over anything natural like dirt, pollen, animals..) and often get invited into the store office to play online or look at new things that have come in! I can practically ring people up, at this point!

Sulis

I would tell the shop owners exactly what happened in the reading, that the 'reader' merely read what was written on the card.
I would add that this isn't really a reading but someone 'reading' - anyone can do that.
To be charged $20 for something my 8 year old could do (or any other 8 year old for that matter) is outrageous.

HearthCricket

I am probably going back there tomorrow or on Sunday, for a quick visit. I know the owners will be away camping, but the daughter might be there and she has a lot of say in what they buy, get in, etc., so she is a good person to talk with. If not, I will just wait until I get face to face with the owner and let her know. I have never had a single complaint about this store, or any of the things I have bought, etc. and I love the people there. But this person really was not an adequate reader. Not at all. Very frustrating. Maybe that is why she isn't on the schedule all the way through the end of November. Yikes!

Sulis~Not only could your daughter have done this reading, but through the eyes of a child she probably would have embelished it and made it far more richer and had amazing intuition into what she saw on the cards or felt. Just out of curiosity...has she ever read for you? That could be a very moving experience!

This reader's bio quotes:

"a spiritual psychic medium using her talents and skills in receiving messages from the angelic realm, spirit guides, and deceased loved ones to help assist and guide people in any situation. Pamela utilizes varying divination tools in her readings such as angel oracle cards, tarot, and runes to help deliver these messages. Messages are encouraging and delivered with love and compassion."

Again, hmmm. Very skimpy reading if any of this is true, which I don't agree with, after my experience. There was no guidance other than what the cards said. No angel hovered over her or spoke wisdom in her ear, so maybe they have deserted her? Bah, Humbug!

Papageno

LOL honestly HC you probably should've done a reading for HER and shown her how it's done :thumbsup:

shaveling

HearthCricket said:
The owners are wonderful people and now I have to find a way to tactfully tell them their reader basically stinks.
Ann Landers occasionally told people who wrote to her advice column about tricky situations to cut out their letter to Ann Landers and hand it to the other person in the situation and say "I wrote this." I suppose one possibility is print out your original post here and share that with the shop owners. Would that work?

tarotlyn

shaveling said:
...one possibility is print out your original post here and share that with the shop owners. Would that work?
That is a GREAT idea!