Nudity in Tarot.

Padma

in some decks, nudity is a fine art expression, and part of the cultural aspect being tastefully reflected (thinking of the Journey Into Egypt by J. C-Watts.) If it is not tasteful, and not done in a spirit of fine art, the nudity shown in many decks is either vulgar or cartoonish, usually doing in (via transformation) the fine female form into some type of ridiculous clown balloon art :p

Equally as bad are the males, rendered into washboard ab kings, with surfer hair.

How completely boring!

If you are doing it in the fine arts sense, with a keen eye to playing it down and making it real, and in a respectful way, not sure how it could shock...!

(All that being said, I prefer my tarot card people clothed ;) )

Metafizzypop

My view on nudity in tarot art is very simple: the more female nudity there is in the deck, the less likely I am to buy it.

I have had it up to here ::holds palm of hand above her head:: with gratuitous female nudity in the media, including tarot.

For male nudity, I don't really care what the artist does, because male bodies haven't been sexually exploited as much in the media. But female bodies, nude or nearly so, are constantly used as objects. Not necessarily sex objects, but just decorative objects. A pair of boobs is like a nice decorative embellishment, like a smiley face, or a rose motif, or a group of snowflakes. I can't deal with it any more. The only way I'll accept female nudity in a tarot deck is if there's an equal amount of male nudity. As long as the artist plays fair, I'm OK. Or else it's just a deal breaker.

rylla

I'm fine with it as long as it isn't totally gratuitous. Why should a naked body distract any more than a clothed one ? I never get that.

My first impression would be: why are all these people running around (or working - some cards in pentacle suit) naked?!? (I am talking about a deck with all the cards showing naked people). Minor arcana is more mundane than the majors and I am used to see people in clothes not naked. I'd have to remind myself about the 'bigger idea behind it' all the time to get past the first impression. I most certainly could get used to it if the art is gorgeous, but it is not what I prefer.

ETA on the other hand, I could not even imagine a Star card with the woman wearing clothes :) I don't think I ever saw one. Of course tarot evolves and changes and it's OK (as long as the basic idea is kept behind the meaning of the cards - otherwise I would not consider it a 'tarot' deck but an oracle), and if an artist makes me love a Star card with the woman wearing clothes I'd have the utmost recognition for him/her.

wooden-eye

Thanks for the input Laura and Gregory, Padma and Metafizzypop. Well I guess we are pretty much a level-headed bunch, quel suprise!
Yes it is for the Frida deck and nudity is on the cards.
I am about to post my first card with nudity on my other thread, 'A ribbon around a bomb' if you want a peek. (Any time soon I will take a moment to work out how link threads) The card is Seven of Cups and relates to 'Debauch'. Oddly, this card actually speaks to the objectifcation of the female nude as these women are (loosely) artist's models.

PathWalker

I think there is also a cultural aspect here. In Europe there seems to be more acceptance of art with nudity, but folks in other places baulk at any nudity.
For myself, if it's saying something in your artwork, then it's fine with me, it's your statement. But if you wanted a wider appeal then you might have to do some creative lessening of impact.

Best wishes with it
PathWalker

earthair

I'm comfortable with nudity, male and female. What I dislike is that all female nudity seems to depict very young model-women with massive breast implants and teeeny waists whereas men get to look a bit more average. Mix it up a little- think Gaian Tarot with no clothes :D

Having 2 versions is a great idea :thumbsup:

I really liked the Tarot-D because the women were muscular and not weak looking.

Laurelle

certain people are nude in the tarot deck to show symbolism.

For example, the woman in the Star card is nude because she has nothing to hide.

If the nudity is representing something to the subconscious, I don't see why not.

foolMoon

Everything in real life and the world is hidden. What seems is not what it is.

Nudity on tarot cards tells us drop everything worries, prejudices, and conflicting ideas .... In order to see the hidden knowlege.

Go back to the blank mind and make decisions purely based on your intuition (The Lovers), or keep burning the fire of hope for the future or on the issues (The Star) no matter how tough and dark the time seems now, because soon the morning light will break through from the sky.

gregory

I think there is also a cultural aspect here. In Europe there seems to be more acceptance of art with nudity, but folks in other places baulk at any nudity.
For myself, if it's saying something in your artwork, then it's fine with me, it's your statement. But if you wanted a wider appeal then you might have to do some creative lessening of impact.

Best wishes with it
PathWalker
This is VERY true. The USA more, I think - let us not forget that in parts of Canada (specifically Ontario, but there may well be others) it is perfectly legal for women to walk topless in the street, under equality law - men can, so.... Many American tourists have been horrified. (Also Japanese tourists, come to think of it.)

Zephyros

In Mae West's films the final, dramatic kiss was never shown, only the lustful embrace and dreamy eyes beforehand. When asked why this was, West answered that that was the best part. A Geisha usually leaves a very thin line along her hairline to hint at her natural skin beneath the paint, for some subtle eroticism. When a sex scene in a movie is done right, very often there's no need for any show of skin at all. For example, the dinner scene in Babette's Feast is very sexual and all about urges of the flesh. It works perfectly, though, because it is all done with the eyes.

Sometimes hiding a thing actually serves to drawn further attention to it and this can be quite artfully done. But, it can be a kind of double standard since you don't need an excuse to show a bare chested man, while a woman's breasts have to "mean something." In the case of your Khalo deck I think nudity is a given, since she wasn't a painter for children and neither is your deck. While I can either take or leave nudity in general it is often missing because artists try to appeal to everyone and their work suffers.

Still, I think it has to be done well. Very often, and it is quite obvious when this happens, nudity is just a lazy way of proclaiming "Look, everyone! Sex and boobies!" and then it can be not only offensive but very boring.