Oracle De-enabling

heron

bodhran said:
I had the Celtic Book of the Dead, and begged someone to take it for free.:D
You know how when you see scans online, and then when you get the deck you exclaim, "Wow! These are even more beautiful in person!" Well NOT with these; instead you'll say, "Hey, I think they sent the wrong deck. These don't look anything like what I thought I saw."

My CBOTD is right at the back of the wardrobe way underneath all my other decks that were brilliant for about two days & have never seen the light of day since (though I haven't sold it for a song to that nice lady or gent in Glastonbury High Street yet, so maybe when I'm 99 I'll realize there was a final boring trip to some salmon & hazelnuts island I wanted to take in my sleep before I get shuffled off for recycling - NOT!). Complete & utter waste of dosh. Buy chocolate instead.

Heck, it's nearly as awful as the Aborigine dreamtime oracle thingy I got rid of years ago.

~ heron

firefrost

Would anyone like to have a go at de-enabling me with the Good Witch, Bad Witch?

I've been fancying it for a while now.

Do I need it? No. Will I use it much? Maybe not. I love the few oracles I have but don't get them out much.

Do I want it? - yes!

Help!

heron

and while we're here - what about the Parecelsus Oracle

...please help me resisit. There are those funny squiggles (tree of life? DNA? circuit diagrams?) but Oh I am dreadfully drawn to that woodcut/engraving/seventeenth-century look and the brown-ness, but how could I justify virtually £20? ('ve lost track of where I saw it for about £12, thank goodness. And how much postage would Alida charge? - the mind boggles nearly as much as the bank manager) I mean, I already have Nostradamus cards & the Durer Tarot, & have turned my back on the solleone/meneghello Mantegna, for heaven's sake, but I do feel in grave danger...

Debra

£20 plus postage for 32 Paracelsus-ISH cards that are half-dominos by LoScarabeo, plus postage?

Nah.

xismenow1

Goddess Oracle, illustrated by Hrana Janto.

It's $27 list price, $17ish on Amazon. I enjoy the handwritten drawings and want it, but are the pictures prettier online?

Pot-shots and low-blows welcome. I prefer the negative nitty-gritty. :)

heron

so far, so good

Debra said:
£20 plus postage for 32 Paracelsus-ISH cards that are half-dominos by LoScarabeo, plus postage?

Nah.

Thank you, Debra, for that advice from the balcony. So far, it's holding - though I did have a dreadful lapse & buy a French le Diouris Tarot XIII game deck from Somerville that has turned out to be a waste of £17.50 - I knew there was a risk it was naff (which it is, but in that kind-of-you-feel-sorry-for-them-for-being-trapped-in-the-sixties way that French policier/gyppo style evokes) but worse, it's got playing-card type pips, so straight to the wardrobe until the next clear-out, I'm afraid.

Alta

heron said:
.There are those funny squiggles (tree of life? DNA? circuit diagrams?)
I know this isn't de-enabling, but I hopelessly drawn to question-answering (character flaw). Those are the so-called sigils of various angels and powers.

http://www.geocities.com/nisetar/sigils.html
This is NOT a good example, but don't have time to really search. I have seen them drawn out properly in some books I own.

heron

Oh gee

Alta said:
I know this isn't de-enabling, but I hopelessly drawn to question-answering (character flaw). Those are the so-called sigils of various angels and powers.

http://www.geocities.com/nisetar/sigils.html
This is NOT a good example, but don't have time to really search. I have seen them drawn out properly in some books I own.

Alta, BABE, I really appreciate that. Let's swap character flaws - I'm similarly a hopeless victim of the urge to be helpful whenever possible (led me into a 38-year career at public library enquiry desks) on top of a family tradition of "look it up" in response to any childlike enquiry as to what something was or what some word meant. In one of my next lifetimes (not enough left of this one, I fear) I shall find out about angels.

I hope there's someone like you around then to explain to me!

~ heron

Cat*

Alta said:
I know this isn't de-enabling, but I hopelessly drawn to question-answering (character flaw).
heron said:
I'm similarly a hopeless victim of the urge to be helpful whenever possible (led me into a 38-year career at public library enquiry desks) on top of a family tradition of "look it up" in response to any childlike enquiry as to what something was or what some word meant.
Hey, can I be part of that club, too? I'm still learning that "how are you?" usually is NOT an invitation to share all of the things that are going on in my life, especially not in detail. I completely understand the concept of rhetorical questions, but I can't suppress the urge to still answer them. :|

And if you want to make me feel really useful, just let me look up some obscure tiny bit of information for you. Preferably if it's hard to find and needs combining at least three sources of information. :D

Which is totally off-topic.

So, to save this (incredibly relevant :laugh:) post for posterity: The Good Witch, Bad Witch deck hasn't been de-enabled, yet. I believe this is because everyone was too ashamed to even admit they have it. I'll tell you why I don't have it. It's like Barbie. Even if you change the clothes and accessories, it's still the same face over and over again. So, are you a good Barbie or a bad Barbie? And wouldn't it be more fun to play that game with actual Barbie dolls instead of cards? :D

firefrost

Oh, dear - you're far too late on the Good Witch, Bad Witch cards, I'm afraid!

I bought them about a month ago. Not used them, didn't really expect to yet, but they're really cute and quirky.

I don't like the Hedge Witch, though! Talk about taking things literally...

And...err...umm...Not had a Barbie doll in this house for quite a few years!