Please can someone take pity on me -- the Tree of Life

ravenest

The notorious references to the "white races." :)

However, to be fair, I didn't get the feeling of actual racism from her (perhaps apart from the "genteel" type prevalent at the time) but rather the points she raises fit in with today's discussions of cultural misappropriation. The gist of what she says is that it is preferable that people study their own cultures rather than adopting others that may not be suitable for their daily lives or that they would lack the cultural instincts or racial memories.

GREAT! I will remember that one next time I am accused of telling a 'bad' joke. :laugh:

Carla

Hi Carla
Okay, lets jump right into numbers and geometry then :) (dont be scared :laugh: )

<snipped for brevity's sake>

Ravenest, holy crap!

I need a printer.

(And a gin and tonic)

gregory

I am SO with Carla here - and I HAVE Chicken Qabala....

Carla, a while back, a graphic novel called Promethea was the subject of some discussion in the Books & Media Forum: Promethea Thread
... so I upped and went to all my fave book sites. There seem to be LOADS of them - are we looking to book 1 for this particular section ?

frac_ture

... so I upped and went to all my fave book sites. There seem to be LOADS of them - are we looking to book 1 for this particular section ?

Well, to be clear, Promethea originally ran as a series of 32 comic book-sized installments: single issues of about 22 pages in length. After it ran its course, the publisher collected the series up into a total of five book-style volumes -- as I don't imagine most people here would want to try to find all 32 separate comic book issues, it's these five books we'd be talking about...

So with that being the case, the Tree of Life journey takes up all of Book 3 and the bulk of Book 4. If you don't care much about the overarching story about Sophie/Promethea, and you just want to see the Sephiroth and the Tarot pathways between them and such, you can probably just focus on those two books. Some of the plot-related dialogue might escape you if you don't read the first two books, but that might not matter to you all that much, depending on what you want to get out of the read.

There's also a great single issue at the very end of Book 2, in which the entire installment is devoted to Moore breaking down how the Major Arcana are portraying the evolution of our universe. He does everything from a Crowley/Thoth perspective, too, which would be especially relevant in this part of the AT boards.

gregory

Well, to be clear, Promethea originally ran as a series of 32 comic book-sized installments: single issues of about 22 pages in length. After it ran its course, the publisher collected the series up into a total of five book-style volumes -- as I don't imagine most people here would want to try to find all 32 separate comic book issues, it's these five books we'd be talking about...

So with that being the case, the Tree of Life journey takes up all of Book 3 and the bulk of Book 4. If you don't care much about the overarching story about Sophie/Promethea, and you just want to see the Sephiroth and the Tarot pathways between them and such, you can probably just focus on those two books. Some of the plot-related dialogue might escape you if you don't read the first two books, but that might not matter to you all that much, depending on what you want to get out of the read.

There's also a great single issue at the very end of Book 2, in which the entire installment is devoted to Moore breaking down how the Major Arcana are portraying the evolution of our universe. He does everything from a Crowley/Thoth perspective, too, which would be especially relevant in this part of the AT boards.
OK - thanks for that ! (those seem cheaper than vol 1 anyway for some weird reason !!!)

But I guess I need 2 as well, and...
Oh hell..

frac_ture

Weird: I just dug mine out and looked at them, and at least on their covers, they're all marked as being the same price. I've had these for years now, though, so maybe things have changed due to demand...?

And if you're thinking of getting Book 2 solely for that Major Arcana piece, you could consider just tracking down that single issue in its comic book form, which I'd imagine would be much cheaper than buying that larger book volume (the issue in question is #12 of the series; Book 2 collects issues #7-12). Also, fair warning: that issue is kind of odd in set-up and execution. Each Major gets its own page, and the two serpents on Promethea's caduceus sort of come to life and converse with her to teach her all of this, but in rhyme -- some people find this rough going! Meanwhile, part of each page is also devoted to the telling of a joke attributed to Crowley that supposedly, if understood, explains all magic. If that sounds boring or too much like a slog, it would probably be safe enough to go straight to Book 3.

ravenest

That was my reaction too :!:

Well, at least the 'crap' was described as 'Holy'. :laugh:

Sorry to pollute the area. Perhaps I should stick to examples originating from comic books? ;)

Carla

Well, at least the 'crap' was described as 'Holy'. :laugh:

Sorry to pollute the area. Perhaps I should stick to examples originating from comic books? ;)

ha ha :) That was merely an interjection of shock and awe.

frac_ture

Perhaps I should stick to examples originating from comic books? ;)

As long as they're good comic books...

But really, there should be room on the board for both your post and mine, shouldn't there...?

And I don't think anyone was dissing your post, so much as just saying it would take some time to digest.