Publishers of Tarot

Sphinxmoth

I think I just have two from Llewellyn, the Shining Tribe and the Ship of Fools.

gregory

rwcarter said:
Hey!!!! I said months ago that you should open a tarot Bed and Breakfast at your house. Just think of all the new self-published and Lo Scarabeo decks (to bring this back on topic :D) you could buy with all the money you'd make.... ;)

Rodney
I have all the LS ones - almost every one they have ever put on - only missing the few that had but 50 copies made :D

But B&B - I would have to stay home more..... I don't WANNA !

xx

rwcarter

gregory said:
I have all the LS ones - almost every one they have ever put on - only missing the few that had but 50 copies made :D

But B&B - I would have to stay home more..... I don't WANNA !

xx
I thought my 78 LoS titles was a lot, but it pales in comparison to your 172! (But then, my collection pales in comparison to yours, so I shouldn't be surprised now, should I? :laugh:)

You're retired now, so if you don't wanna stay home and run a B&B, then you shouldn't have to. (sigh....)

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! How about a house-sitting service then? Nah, you won't want strange people in your house while you're not there. (sigh....)

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! How about a deck-lending library? Nah, that's probably going to be a logistical nightmare and far too much like work for someone who's retired. (sigh....)

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! How about a tour package? They have tours of Italy, why not a tour of gregory's collection? You could do a tour for like 5 people for a week once every quarter. Have us stay at a hotel near your house as part of the package. But 5 lucky people would have all-day access to your collection for say 10 hours a day for 5+ days in a row. Many of us will think we've died and gone to heaven.

And to stay on topic ;), we could see for ourselves not only what publishers are represented in your collection but if there's any indication of how you feel about a particular publisher by where and how their decks are stored. LoS might be highly represented in your collection, but if most of their decks are stored in the warmest, dustiest, most inconvenient to get to location in the house, that might say that LoS decks aren't your favorite even though you have lots of them. (Or it could just mean that you've run out of space! :laugh:)

Rodney

Emily

Crescent said:
I am not really sure where to put this thread, but figured I would place it here..
I am noticing, for myself, that I seem to be collecting more of the Lo Scarabeo decks. I like the artwork of many of them. I tend to like alot of the Italian works, renaissance and the like.

Have you noticed that you have more Tarot decks of one publisher than of another?

I also like the LoS decks, they always seem to be the same quality of cardstock and printing and they are almost always the same size. The cards age well and the lamination is just right - LoS also have so many different types of deck to suit just about everyone. They also produce some pretty unusual decks from the downright bizarre to the more normal. My gripe would be that they need to produce more books to go with their decks.

rwcarter

Emily said:
My gripe would be that they need to produce more books to go with their decks.
Amen to that!!!!!

Rodney

RiccardoLS

I think that while LS (as Magic Realist) creates decks, other publisher simply publish them, starting from submissions.
So it is possibile to find a line/trand/philosophy between LS decks (one may like it or not) and very difficult to do that for USGames or Llewellyn.

ric

Alta

RiccardoLS said:
I think that while LS (as Magic Realist) creates decks, other publisher simply publish them, starting from submissions.
So it is possibile to find a line/trand/philosophy between LS decks (one may like it or not) and very difficult to do that for USGames or Llewellyn.

ric
That was what I was trying to phrase yesterday but Ric said it exactly. LS and MRP decks are distinctive because they have a house vision and goal, they commission or create decks to their idea(l)s, while the other big houses just publish decks as when and as if.

RiccardoLS

Alta said:
create decks to their idea(l)s

ideally and sort of... (^_^)
but for the current thread: indeed yes.

Grizabella

Crescent said:
I tend to agree. There are alot of "trendy" decks out and coming out now. I tend to look for ones I feel will be meaningful for many yrs to come.

Don't forget, though, that the "trendy" decks tend to go out of print sooner and be more scarce, so if you're a collector, you might want to invest in those over the more popular decks that stay in print for years and years. The value of a deck depends on its scarcity.

Crescent

Grizabella said:
Don't forget, though, that the "trendy" decks tend to go out of print sooner and be more scarce, so if you're a collector, you might want to invest in those over the more popular decks that stay in print for years and years. The value of a deck depends on its scarcity.

I realize this.... which is why I "don't" want to be a collector.. I hope I can use all my decks throughout life. I don't want to collect, just to collect, if you know what I mean. I want to use my decks, even if its once a year. :)