Reactions to Deviant Moon Tarot?

ann823

Donnaleigh has a great program where she has Patrick on as a guest and they talk about this deck. He says that the usual reversed meanings are the upright meanings. It's really worth listening to even if you don't have the deck.

Tomsde

That's confusing, I wish it had a companion book.

Trogon

I'm glad to hear that the companion book is in the works. I can't even imagine how much energy it must take to take on and complete this kind of a project.

As to the original topic of this post; I recently purchased the Deviant Moon Tarot. Initial reaction was "wow! This is really different!". Quirky, odd, sometimes dark, sometimes whimsical. I love the deck so far, but I think it is going to make me work a little more to really "get" this deck. There are a lot of nuances which gives the Tarot a real twist in this deck. I like that.

Reyan

Deviant Moon is definitely my favorite deck. It was the second deck I ever bought... my first, I bought on more or less a whim, knowing nothing about tarot cards, and it was fine, but not really "my style" (it was Tarot of Mermaids). After having used that deck for a while, I went searching online for a deck that fit me better, and had trouble finding something that really stuck out to me. Then one day I stumbled across a picture of the Hermit card from Deviant Moon, and I was like "That one!" I couldn't believe I had found something so perfect! Truth be told, I enjoy a little bit of eerie, and I think part of the purpose of tarot is to push you out of your comfort zone a little. Deviant Moon really isn't that dark, but it has just the right amount of atmosphere, in my opinion. And just the right amount of surrealism. Not so much that the images are confusing, just enough to make them a little foreign.

caridwen

I don't own the Deviant Moon but have had readings with it by others.

It is possibly the least attractive deck I can think off. I'd rather have a Hanson Roberts;)

I'm not interested in macabre drawings of insects and have experienced way too much of the darker side of human nature to want it in a Tarot Deck. I prefer dark Romantic decks like the Vargo Gothic or Bohemian Gothic to fleas and cockroaches.

I suppse there are limits to how far I'll go for example I got rid off the Geiger even though I love his work. I realised that I love some of his work and didn't realise what a misogynist he is. An Empress getting head ****ed was too much even for me:p

OlympusMons

I'm not sure how I feel about the Deviant Moon tarot. I keep thinking about getting it but haven't got round to it yet. It does feel quite dark. I'm not sure I like the artwork but the deck does seem to have quite a strong sense of atmosphere.

Penthasilia

I had the same issues- and put off buying the deck for a very long time. But then I broke down and figured, what the heck- let's check it out. (Much to my daughter's horror- she hates clowns and thinks that the deck moon-figures look very much like clowns.)

Well.... I LOVE IT. And the funny thing is, it is not dark. It is just very quirky, odd, and very NYC. It reads like a dream and has a personality all its own. I can understand how that may not be everyone's cup of tea- but I love this deck as much as I love that city and wouldn't trade it in for the world.

:)

Or maybe, it is because I am quirky, odd and slightly off that I like it....hmmm- something to ponder....

})

triple_entendre

It reminds me of Neil Gaiman's prose. It's steely and gory, but you can see real compassion and understanding behind it. It's just very brave and mature, to bring out the tragedies as well. It's not like it's gratuitous.

tarotcognito

The art doesn't do it for me.