Reactions to Deviant Moon Tarot?

Indigo Rose

I love this deck! The images communicate in a deep way to me; it forces my mind to look beyond the obvious. :heart:

iceclone

DaisyDragonfly said:
It's an astonishing deck. I'm pleased as punch that I took the leap and added it to my collection. And I'll enable it to anybody that asks! :heart:

I think your post was awesome daisydragonfly. I really like my deviant moon deck as well. While I'm getting to know my legacy of the divine tarot right now, I feel like my deviant moon needs some attention soon. I miss using it. Sigh.

papercut

I thought I would really love this deck. I like the art, I don't find it creepy, disturbing etc

But it fails as a reading deck for me. It simply isn't interested in my life or affairs, and I've not been able to get a decent reading out of it so far. I end up relying on canned meanings because I don't get anything at all from the cards themselves.

Spoon Bender

DaisyDragonfly said:
I received this deck just the other day: I got one of the specials offered directly by Patrick on his site. The deck came signed, with a little illustration drawn on the inside flap of the box, and wrapped in a hand-drawn wrapper. Lovely! There's also a big 'Thank You' scrawled across the envelope... it's the little touches that make things special :D

I wasn't expecting much from this deck: it came the same day as my Victoria Regina (VR), which I thought I'd be blown away by. I fully anticipated that I'd be using the VR on a daily basis and that the Deviant Moon would go on the pile of 'decks I like and will use intermittently when the mood strikes me and I want a distinct sort of a voice'.

It's not worked out that way. I did a new deck interview, and found the deck's voice to be insistent and direct. It doesn't mess about. There's no mystical silvery symbolism when it talks to you; it's not fuzzy possibilities and gentle romanticism. It's clever and it's perceptive and it wants you to know what it knows. The images seem uncluttered and simple... and then you look closer. There's so much going on! Just little things, but they add depth to a reading.

And, oddly, this deck is the first deck I've interviewed that insisted it should be used exclusively. I've always thought that was a bit of a tarot myth, one of those fancies we tarot readers indulge in. But this deck said it was best used by itself and it explained why when I asked. It made sense.

See, this is why this deck has surprised me. When I have time to do a proper daily draw, I like to have a tarot conversation. You know, you start with a question, draw a card, respond and move on. It looks like a script dialogue in my journal. I don't do it with every deck; indeed, up to now, the only deck I've been able to hold a proper conversation with was the Bohemian Gothic, and we both tired each other it last time I tried.

Well, I doubt anybody reading this epic post will be surprised when I say that I held a very successful conversation with the Deviant Moon. It kept going until I understood its message. It was revealing and it was rewarding. After telling myself that I'm fine with not sticking with just one deck for everything, I'm seriously considering sticking with the DM for a while. I might even venture back into IDS territory.

It's an astonishing deck. I'm pleased as punch that I took the leap and added it to my collection. And I'll enable it to anybody that asks! :heart:

That is a great post. I also love the special touches on the signed deck. I can't wait to give the other one I got to my boyfriend on halloween

DaisyDragonfly

Spoon Bender said:
That is a great post. I also love the special touches on the signed deck. I can't wait to give the other one I got to my boyfriend on halloween

And now there's the angels and demons themed wrapper on Patrick's site... I'm very tempted. I love the lamination on this edition; I think I want a back-up of this style.

Hmmm. How many Deviant Moons are too many? ;)

SherryZoned

Looking at the scans..i am like no way in heck..and I like weird stuff! However, I am patiently waiting for mine to get here from a trade because I could not bring myself to just buy...we shall say..but daisydragonfly has really left me wanting it to hurry on up!!

DaisyDragonfly

:D Oh, it definitely has a very ... unique... style. I can quite see that its imagery won't be to everybody's taste!

Hope it's as good a reading deck for you as it is for me, though. Either way, it's definitely an interesting one to own!

Aerin

papercut said:
I thought I would really love this deck. I like the art, I don't find it creepy, disturbing etc

But it fails as a reading deck for me. It simply isn't interested in my life or affairs, and I've not been able to get a decent reading out of it so far. I end up relying on canned meanings because I don't get anything at all from the cards themselves.

Isn't it just so frustrating when that happens?

I still find the deck overdramatises my life. Usual deck - 4 of Pents... DM - DEVIL. Usual deck - 6 of Swords.... DM - DEATH. For goodness sake :D. If I read with it I have to take everything it says down a notch. Goodness only knows what it would do in an actual crisis. (It's good fun to draw a card a the end of the day. Really, it does exaggerate.)

papercut

Yes! That's exactly it - the imagery is sooo dramatic that I struggle to apply it to reality, and just end up working off memorised meanings instead. But I love your idea about using it at the end of the day and seeing how much it exaggerates, sounds like fun! I would like to put this deck to more use, so it sounds like that could be just the thing for it.

karen0205

Aerin said:
Isn't it just so frustrating when that happens?

I still find the deck overdramatises my life. Usual deck - 4 of Pents... DM - DEVIL. Usual deck - 6 of Swords.... DM - DEATH. For goodness sake :D. If I read with it I have to take everything it says down a notch. Goodness only knows what it would do in an actual crisis. (It's good fun to draw a card a the end of the day. Really, it does exaggerate.)
I have a deck that does that too! It's that the strangest thing,
some decks like drama!~