Reading Suggestion/Opportunity. Too sensitive?

Skysteel

Sulis said:
I don't think that anyone here is suggesting that.
Like the Ipswich murder readings, I would say that folks want to read about this to maybe gain some insight into what has happened here, not to 'reduce' or 'resolve' the issue.

It can imply it, regardless.

Little Baron

Apocalipstick said:
If you already have concerns that it might be insensitive, then maybe heed them?

It has more to do with the fact that this place is renowned for people getting on their soapboxes. Thought I would test the water first.

It's ok. I will go back the 'does he love me' and 'will I get promoted' readings.

LB

Alta

There have been a number of readings done in Your Readings on topics of common interest. The readings are not intended to help the family, nor do they reduce the issue.

If done thoughtfully they can be a group exploration with a deepening of understanding.

Try a search in Your readings for threads including "Mundane Reading" or "Conspiracy Theory". In the past such readings done in a group context have been thought provoking.

Sakura Murasaki

I don't think that we are trivalizing an event by reading on it, as long as we continue to be respectful of the situation and the people involved. When I was reading through the Ipswich threads, I was under the impression that people wanted to make sense of this tragedy, imho. Bringing understanding brings comfort, I think.

Apocalipstick

Little Baron said:
It's ok. I will go back the 'does he love me' and 'will I get promoted' readings.
:rolleyes:

So two people fronting a different opinion is enough for you to back off?

Can't please everyone.

If that's what you want to do, then do it. It sounded like you were asking for opinions, not confirmation.

If it means something to you, and it sounds like it does, and you think it will be helpful, then follow up on Marion's suggestion and post your reading. I'm sure you will not be alone in wanting to do this.

Little Baron

I was asking for opinions, as you say. But the suggestion that I would be performing the reading for my own benefit, as another poster suggested, is an uglier consideration than my original intention could have ever been.

We are not always sure why we read. We are not always sure what the purpose is. But sometimes, we feel compelled to in certain situations. The Ipswich readings being one, where many of us were so struck by what was happening that we felt a need to be involved in our own way.

I am not backing off. I asked for opinions, and I got them.

As you say, you can't please everyone. I know that for sure.

LB

Apocalipstick

I don't think you were trivializing it. I understand where the impulse comes from; please don't think I was condemning it.

The reason I'm in favor of privacy is this: if my little girl were to be abducted, and IF I were to see a reading about it performed by well meaning strangers, I don't know that I would keep my cool OR be understanding.

This is a personal opinion.

Sheri

Skysteel said:
By implying that the situation can be reduced to, and resolved by, a deck of cards.

Sorry, this comment seems to imply that reading cards can only be done for "trivial" and lighthearted purposes. I disagree.

Tragedy hits people differently. Some people want answers or want to explore the situation - always with respect - to seek answers, and maybe to try to help. Writers write, artists paint (etc.), card readers read cards. Maybe it is a real way that readers can pay respect to those who have endured tragedy.

We don't do these types of readings for ratings, viewers or sensationalism. We don't do it to sell rights to movies of the week, or for books. We have nothing to gain personally or professionally by doing these readings. We do it because we are part of the universe and maybe this is a way that it tries to understand and heal itself.

I don't want to trivialize ANY of the readings that are done here, but I would like to think that readings here can be for more than finding a boyfriend/girlfriend or for fun/practice - if we choose to apply ourselves that way - and all readings are worthy and valuable for whatever reason they are done.

valeria

Sulis

Skysteel said:
It can imply it, regardless.

This is your opinion - I disagree with it.

Valeria has just very eloquently said what I think about readings done about important and sensitive issues like this one.
I don't think that reading on a sensitive issue implies that we can resolve an issue at all, reading on an issue doesn't imply anything apart from that the reader would like to understand a little better what could have gone on here.

Skysteel

valeria said:
Sorry, this comment seems to imply that reading cards can only be done for "trivial" and lighthearted purposes. I disagree.

In context, it implies that reading cards to answer questions about concrete* issues such as 'where' and 'who' causes the situation in question to be trivialised.

*(I may have misinterpreted them as such)