Reading Suggestion/Opportunity. Too sensitive?

Sheri

Skysteel said:
In context, it implies that reading cards to answer questions about concrete* issues such as 'where' and 'who' causes the situation in question to be trivialised.

*(I may have misinterpreted them as such)

I understood what you meant and my original statement still applies. I disagree with the statements suggesting that our using cards here to seek answers to questions about "real" issues such as "where" and "who" trivializes the issue.

Perhaps this all comes down to how each of us feels and respects Tarot. Nothing I do with my cards in any way should trivialize the context within which I use them. I can use them for fun, but I would like to think that I can also use them for noble causes, or to pay respects in some small way, and yes, even seek answers and insights into "concrete" issues with them.

There can be no trivialization when there is nothing but love and respect leading the activity, regardless of what it is.

rebecca-smiles

Valeria said:
Tragedy hits people differently. Some people want answers or want to explore the situation - always with respect - to seek answers, and maybe to try to help. Writers write, artists paint (etc.), card readers read cards. Maybe it is a real way that readers can pay respect to those who have endured tragedy.

We don't do these types of readings for ratings, viewers or sensationalism. We don't do it to sell rights to movies of the week, or for books. We have nothing to gain personally or professionally by doing these readings. We do it because we are part of the universe and maybe this is a way that it tries to understand and heal itself.

*rebecca applauds Valeria* I wish i had said that, my sentiment exactly.

Little Baron: i think it's lovely that you were concerned enough and moved enough by this dreadful situation to want to engage with it. When we feel deeply about our world we are moved to act, but how? In situations like this it is not possible, and i saw what you were saying almost as acting out that you could. We do in our imaginations; we rush in and rescue everyone because we want it to be ok. Its a selfish want and impulse and perfectly natural at that. if i were the parent; i would be glad that some how you were concerned and felt our helplessness too.

Little Baron

Thanks RS.

I think that in these situations, we do not know how to act or re-act. And on this forum, with reference to the Ipswich readings, the reads were as much about 'reaching out and touching each other' in a time of fear and uncertainty, as much as trying to find truth in the situation through divination. It was like saying 'do you feel this too?'. As someone else said, readers read, painters paint etc. Unfortunately, I cannot take part in the search, due to location, but of course, if I could, a reading would not be my first impulse reaction.

And Valeria, your posts here express very much of what I feel and what my original intention was. Thanks for them.

LB

Skysteel

valeria said:
I understood what you meant and my original statement still applies. I disagree with the statements suggesting that our using cards here to seek answers to questions about "real" issues such as "where" and "who" trivializes the issue.

Perhaps trivialize is the wrong word - it trivializes it to the extent it treats the actual endeavour of answering the where and the who as an abstract entity, disconnected from the event.

Grizabella

For all we know, the parents might be in the habit of consulting tarot readers for answers to things and in that case, the fact that someone is doing a reading on the disappearance of their child and reading on it here wouldn't be offensive in the least. I say do it if you want to. I don't think it's out of line or trivializes it in any way.

wytchwood

I can only speak from my own experience and beliefs, but I honestly think that by engaging in any 'spiritual' activity whilst holding a sincere wish for the outcome to be a happy and positive one can only be a good thing. By focusing on the situation, with a background feeling of hope for the better 'ending' to this tragic story, and going into the inevitable deeper state of mind, it is in effect a kind of spell. I am not saying that if we all did this it would definitely end happily for the poor little girl who is missing and her distraught family, just that by caring we are not harming in this instance, and indeed these activities could possibly help, who knows?. I find it very difficult to express things like this in words, but I hope some people will understand what I mean. I think sometimes well-meaning people can cause more harm than good, but this is not a situation where any harm could come from our good intentions, so why find fault with it?

I also think that any situation which is of concern to a tarot reader, whether personal or not, is a subject which can be investigated with the tarot and answers sought with divination can be for any purpose. I quite disagree with those that think that using the tarot makes the subject trivial, many of us here see the tarot as a thing not to be used for trivial purposes and questions so quite the opposite is true. Divination is not necessarily of a 'fortune telling' nature (as LB puts it: does he fancy me? will I get promoted etc.), it can offer deep insights into serious issues. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't do this for a bit of fun, or use serious situations just as an 'excuse' to play with my fave tarot cards, for me the Tarot is part of a spiritual path.

Anyone who has done a reading: I would love to know if you found anything out?? I may do one, but am pushed for time over the next day or so as I have an exam tomorrow, I don't want to do one in a rushed state of mind. My prayers are with the little girl and her family and loved ones.

Zoe

rebecca-smiles

Yes i'm sure i'm not alone in doing readings for people, strangers even on serious issues like these. I have read for someone who had just lost a child and for seriously ill child, i was more tearful than they were! admitedly they came to me for a reading, but reading is anything but trivial. They can be most profound and liberating for sitter and reader alike.

prudence

wytchwood said:
I think sometimes well-meaning people can cause more harm than good, but this is not a situation where any harm could come from our good intentions, so why find fault with it?
I agree wholeheartedly.

I would also like to add, in a nonargumentative way, that LittleBaron, you may have left out an important reason for having posted this question. (you replied to a poster that you felt you needed to ask about this reading because of some folks getting on their soapboxes...) Well, perhaps modesty kept you from saying this, but it will not stop me:); I believe that at least half of the reason you created this thread and asked what you did, was because you *are* a terrifically thoughtful person and you would not venture into such territories without first giving it all a lot of very deep thought. You are a sensitive and caring individual who would never do any reading that would cause harm, nor would you do a reading on such a serious subject as this one for your own gain. Just the fact that you have created this thread and posted this question shows you are a conscientious person whose heart is involved in this decision.

I would never automatically assume a medium/psychic would be interested in a murder/missing persons case just for self gain, and the same goes for someone using their tarot related gift.

wytchwood

Indeed, if anyone who did a divination had any strong messages or feelings relating to little Madeleine, it would be worth a try to tell the police, some may laugh, some may be annoyed, but some may think that information is valuable whatever the source. Now that's a question: would you tell the authorities if you really believed you had information that could help?

Kahlie

One of the reasons I do Readings (and not only with cards) is because Guidance *can* resolve real issues.

I don't think the lady I met in a shop Thursday who ended up having a coffee with me and whose medallion I read and cleared out of negative energy to give guidance on a very difficult matter of the Heart felt I trivialized this difficult issue or that I disconnected from the very real event of how to deal with a young person who just had their first psychosis.
In fact, she asked me to come by her house Sunday, to chat some more and offered to loan me some interesting books regarding Psychiatry&Zen.

I think that Reading on real events in an effort to help is applaudable, if it's really an effort to help.

I find doing Readings but not doing anything with the results is like being one of those people who create a traffic jam by looking at a crash site on the other side of the highway. If you are just looking, yes, it seems it's very sensationalist and would feel wrong to me.

If you are looking and working together with the police, it's something else.

I don't buy the crap of improving your Reading Skills, if you want to do that, pick another, not so emotionally charged and sensitive subject, that btw, is about a third party for crying out loud... Ethics?!

If you want to reach out and help each other, then do Readings on how to best deal with the event... or open a thread filled with comfort and love. Don't drag another person into it.

Just my 2 cents,

Kahlie