reversed pips

shaveling

dminoz,

The decks I have look like the one on your link. In fact, that Aeclectic page shows the numbers I'm talking about. You can see them at the base and to the right of the Ace of Cups and the Two of Coins, and centered at the bottom of the Nine of Swords.

My cards and boxes don't have a copyright date on them, or anything that says "second edition." The barcode on the bottom of the regular deck has an 8 outside the barcode, then: 420707 089085. The mini has a sticker on the side with an ISBN number: 3927808865.

Sorry I don't have any more helpful information than that.

By the way, does your Swiss IJJ have the little numbers at the bottoms? I have one from my college days in the seventies that doesn't. But a secondhand deck I got on ebay last year does have them. Took me entirely by surprise, it did.

joannski3,

I forgot to say that I don't actually use reversals now, mostly because of the widespread advice to put that off until I'm used to working with the cards upright. But I think I prefer having the option of using them. And it looks to me like reversals were being read back when the Marseille and the old Italian cards were all that were available. Etteilla uses them, and Papus says that one advantage of his system of suit + number is that the reader doesn't have to remember the reversed meanings. So I expect that people using traditional decks marked the cards that didn't have an built-in orientation. But I'm just guessing about that.

The Burdel decks (there are two from Lo Scarabeo: their Tarots of Marseille in the red box, and the new Universal Tarot of Marsille) don't have the problem with the coins. Burdel decorated the center of his coins with fleurs de lys, which have a definite up and down. But as I mentioned before, the Universal seems to have the extra little numbers anyway.

are the reversals just not read for that deck?
The impression I have that there is a widespread tendency in Europe, where the Marseille tradition has been kept up, to do majors-only readings. And the questions we're talking about only arise with the pip cards. I'm not saying to go to trumps-only readings. But maybe there isn't an established tradition among Marseille readers about what to do about pips and reversals.

star-lover

.......edit

jmd

I use reversals, and also use Marseille-type decks.

Having said this, I would suggest a careful study of the cards that appear to have no reversals, and then decide if a consistent method is in fact desirable.

Looking at someone's book or post (including this one) is only going to result in adopting someone else's view on the matter, without necessarily understanding why they suggest something.

The BN stamp, the copyright stamp (that even varies on different editions of the Grimaud, for example), or the added numbering, again shows that person's preference - and in the case of the BN stamp, I suggest it may even have been simply stamped at the bottom of however the cards were presented, without much reflection or insight for cards that do not display a 'clear' uprightness in their imagery.

Is a woodcut (I mean the actual carved wood itself, such as the Conver one in Marseille used by Camoin for the bicentennial edition) to be taken as of greater importance than the image? or is that too a reflection of the carvery of the woodcutter, and immaterial to the card that will then be cut out in any case. If we take that of central importance, then what to make of uncut sheets that have figures upside down!?

Are single swords upright when pointing up, or down? Does it make a difference is a hand holds it, or not (ie, Ace vs 3, 5, 7 and 9).

A sword pointing up we tend to call, in English, an 'upright' sword. Is this influencing our perception too much?

Perhaps, with the swords, another means of reflecting on them is in terms of considering what is perhaps indicated or implied if a sword points up or down. If in prepared active engagement, the sword will be held point up. If in repose, point down. Neither is 'reversed' if intended in that sense. If, however, the intent is for activity, and the point is down, what is shown?

Even there, I personally do not want to suggest that a point down is never active.

The single straight swords are also in contrast to the curved scimitar-like (or sabre-like) swords. Are there further insights that can result from this consideration in terms of whether a sword-card will be perceived as reversed or not in a reading-at-hand?

Similar comments can also be made with Bastons and Coins.

With coins, is there something of the arrangement of, for example, the seven that suggests, in one instance, an uprightness, and in another a reversed presentation?

For some cards, such as the 7 Bastons, does the lower portion of the drawn card, or the upper portion, seem heavier in the course of the reading at hand? Is this appropriate for the reading (ie, does it suggest a reversal or not)?

These are some of the considerations that come into play.

Of course, if one wants to have a determined form of uprightness for each instance of cards otherwise more ambiguously presented, then by all means adaptation of someone else's view (such as points or up down all cases, flowers a particular way in all cases, etc.) can be useful, as can marking them with pre-set decision in mind.

Fulgour

jmd said:
Is a woodcut (I mean the actual carved wood itself, such as the Conver one in Marseille used by Camoin for the bicentennial edition) to be taken as of greater importance than the image? or is that too a reflection of the carvery of the woodcutter, and immaterial to the card that will then be cut out in any case. If we take that of central importance, then what to make of uncut sheets that have figures upside down!?
No figures upside-down here,
even the Flowers point down...

In the case of the pear wood plates from the House of Conver,
kenji introduced the idea that a closer look might be revealing.

What may be seen is that the way the Swords are cut differs
from how they have come to be viewed and printed today...
differs clearly: All the Upright images are carved as Upright,
and here we can see "historical" evidence concerning Swords.

Swords of Marseilles - Aeclectic Tarot Forum
(see post #10)
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=30623

Attachments

• PEAR-WOOD PLATE FROM NICOLAS CONVER 1760.jpg
    PEAR-WOOD PLATE FROM NICOLAS CONVER 1760.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 83
  • PEAR-WOOD PLATE CONVER 1760  Colours Inverted.JPG
    PEAR-WOOD PLATE CONVER 1760 Colours Inverted.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 81