Sequential Spreads

tarotreader2007

rwcarter said:
If I'm correctly understanding what you mean by sequential, then the 8 Weeks Spread should work for you. You lay out 9 cards in a 3x3 grid and then interpret each horizontal, vertical and diagonal line as a different week.

Many of the spreads I created for the Transparent Tarot (see Post 2 of the Tarot Spreads Forum Index) have cards being laid out in some kind of grid and then interpreted in various combinations. In the Index there's also a link to other spreads at AT that I think are well-suited for use with the Transparent. I think many of those might work for you (again assuming I'm understanding what you mean by sequential).

HTH,
Rodney

By sequential, I mean that the cards are read in an order or a sequence as opposed to positional spreads like PPF, or Celtic Cross. Such spreads I find limiting and quite frustrating to use. Your grid suggestion and mentalista's suggestion of the gypsy spread do intrigue me. I have dabbled in the lenormand oracle and the lenormand spread is "kind of" what I'm looking for.

Crowley (and the GD) had a system for reading the cards in sequences based both on elemental dignities and the counting method. Are there any other such established systems out there that any one knows of?

Peace and Love

**Thanks once again for the suggestions :)**

Amanda

tarotreader2007 said:
Crowley (and the GD) had a system for reading the cards in sequences based both on elemental dignities and the counting method. Are there any other such established systems out there that any one knows of?

Crap. And here I thought I was a genius. What is this reading in sequence with elemental dignities? I have no familiarity with the Thoth deck/system/what-have-you whatsoever, and I totally just started reading cards in sequence, breaking up patterns of events where the elements are ill-dignified. Is this what it is?

tarotreader2007

Amanda_04 said:
Crap. And here I thought I was a genius. What is this reading in sequence with elemental dignities? I have no familiarity with the Thoth deck/system/what-have-you whatsoever, and I totally just started reading cards in sequence, breaking up patterns of events where the elements are ill-dignified. Is this what it is?

So, sorry about the extreme tardiness of this reply.

The OOTK spread (formally) is based off of the position of one card (the significator) and then the other cards to be interpreted are gleaned off of that card by counting methods and then comparing the cards selected by the counting method with surrounding cards to determine the elemental interaction, strength, yada yada yada about each card.

It's pretty complex, I wouldn't say "difficult" is the right word, but it's definitely an intricate system that once you get your head around it and go through the exercises a few times, it gets a whole lot easier to comprehend.

Peace and Love

Amanda

tarotreader2007 said:
So, sorry about the extreme tardiness of this reply.

The OOTK spread (formally) is based off of the position of one card (the significator) and then the other cards to be interpreted are gleaned off of that card by counting methods and then comparing the cards selected by the counting method with surrounding cards to determine the elemental interaction, strength, yada yada yada about each card.

It's pretty complex, I wouldn't say "difficult" is the right word, but it's definitely an intricate system that once you get your head around it and go through the exercises a few times, it gets a whole lot easier to comprehend.

Peace and Love

I like the sound of that, could you give an example with a few cards?

tarotreader2007

Erm...lemme try and find a link instead as it is pretty detailed :)

The whole spread has a few "operations" as they're called which are kind of like different spreads all together. I personally only really do the first one which is shown here

The counting method I've modified a little bit for myself.

Aces are sometimes counted as 5 or 11 depending on the reader/system.

The Minors are simple and take their own number so the 3 of Disks are counted as 3. This is true for minors 2-10 of all suits.

Court cards are a bit different; the Princesses/Pages are counted for 7 and the Princes, Queens, and Knights are counted for 4.

The majors are split into 3 different groups: zodiacal, planetary, and elemental.

The zodiacal trumps are counted as 12

The planetary trumps are counted as 9 (I count 7, this is my own personal method)

The elemental are counted as 3 (since Earth is not represented in the majors).

You may start counting on any card to get greater detail about that card's interactions. Traditionally, the OOTK spread starts out by counting the top card of each pile. When counting, say, starting from the 2 of wands, you would count the 2 of wands as 1 and the card next to it as 2. Say that card was the 4 of disks. You would then count the 4 of disks as one and keep going until you stopped at the "4" card. The whole cycle stops once you get to a card you've stopped at before (including the card that you started with if you happen upon it again).

Peace and Love