Sharman-Caselli Tarot

Lee

Hey, everybody, there's a new tarot deck out there -- the Sharman-Caselli deck. It's conceived by Juliet Sharman-Burke, co-author of the Mythic Tarot, and illustrated by Giovanni Caselli.

It's a little confusing, because the deck comes packaged with a book, "Beginner's Guide to Tarot" by Sharman-Burke, and the whole package is called "Beginner's Guide to Tarot," so if you look at it, for example, at Amazon.com, you wouldn't know that there's a deck that comes with it.

The deck is similar a bit in style to the Lo Scarabeo Universal Tarot by Roberto De Angelis. It's very Waite-derived, although there are other influences to the cards. For example, the standard Marseille image is used for the Lovers, while the Visconti image is used for the Wheel of Fortune. I think it's superior, though, to the De Angelis deck, because more thought was put into the symbols on the pictures. For example, the Minor cards all contain lots of animals appropriate to their suit: birds and butterflies for Swords, rabbits, mice and dogs for Pentacles, etc.

The quality of the illustrations is really excellent. The cards have an open, airy look, with lots of sky and far perspectives. The Minors are very much based on the Rider-Waite Minors, but there's lots of new little touches in them.

The book is a pretty good beginner's book. It studies each suit in turn, then recommends reading spreads with just that one suit, then moving on to the next suit, and after all the suits are done, doing layouts with all the Minors. Then she moves on the Majors, then has a sample layout with just the Majors, and finally puts the whole deck together with a sample reading with Majors and Minors.

This is a really, really good deck. I could see this deck becoming a favorite of mine. The whole package is $19.99, pretty good for a deck and book. I recommend it! :)

-- Lee

Kaz

any place we can see some cards lee?

kaz

Liliana

I wantto seeeeee it it sounds like i may neeeeeed it lol

:THP

Lee

There's no scans that I know of. I tried to scan a few and post them, but the files are too big. I'll probably be writing a review for Tarot Passages that will include scans, but that may not appear for several weeks. If you e-mail me privately, I'll send you the scans (4 cards) that I made.

-- Lee

Kaz

i can put them up on my webspace if you want me to.

kaz

Lee

Hi, Diana -- as in Sharman-Burke's Mythic Tarot, the Majors are unnumbered.

Hey, Kaz, thanks for the offer -- I can't send attachments through the vBulletin e-mail, so if you'd like to e-mail or P.M. me with your e-mail address, I'll send you the scans I made.

-- Lee :)

faunabay

Lee,
I just saw this yesterday at Hasting Bookstore!!
Of course it wasn't opened but the cards they showed on the cover did look very similar to the Mythic tarot.
I almost bought it - for the book and deck set at Hastings it's only $17.99!!!!

dolphingirl

Hi Everyone

I have a scan of the cards, don't have any web space right now but if you want to send me a e-mail I would be happy to send a copy :)

Sam

Phoenix

I can get it here in Canada for 12.99 for the deck and book set. That is like 7.99 american I think. Anyone want it??

The cards look rather flimsy though.