Sharman-Caselli Tarot

augursWell

I also purchased this deck/book set one day when I wanted a new deck and this was the only one they had in the store, a place I don't frequent very often. I figured I'd be wasting my money but the illustrations on the outside intrigued me. I was very pleasantly surprised when I got it home. I also had to cut off the back cover with a pair of scissors. That wrap around cover must have been a manufacturing nightmare so it mystifies me why they did it that way.

Personally I would like to see an "advanced" version of this deck using the same illustrations. I'd like to see a larger card size, a nice illustrated card back instead of the plain purple, and maybe a border around the images with some "advanced" symbols(maybe kabbalah). I think it would make a great advanced deck with those additions.

It does make a great starter deck, clear and straight to the point.

BlueLotus

I just ordered this deck/book set from innerself marketplace. I have no idea how this deck had escaped my perpetual searching for new decks to date :confused:

Anyway I am glad I am adding it to my collection. Better late than never.
})

Ravenswing

this I like...

Well...

This one I'm getting to know well.

The book is good for pointing out the little details, though there are others to find here and there.

The suits are "color coded" . If you are color oriented, this'll be a big plus (something I had thought of for my own deck...)

I like the idea of unnumbered Majors-- pick your order. (This'll make you happy Diana... maybe)

And the book has an order that I'm unfamilar with.
Justice is the eighth, Temperance the ninth, Strength the tenth and the Hermit the eleventh. The four virtues... From there the Wheel and straight through (skipping over Temperence of course) Interesting order to work with.

The suit are considered in an order I've not come up against either. She starts with cups, then wands, swords and pentacles.

All in all a very nice deck.

fly well
Raven

... I've recently removed the boarders on this one too. The images blend together more than any other deck I've work with. Probably because each suit has its own particular coloring.

Lula Jing

This is my second deck - and I love the interpretations in the book. Lovely and clear for a novice like me! :)

The cards are pleasing on the eye... softer than the original RW somehow. Even the tower seems less threatening but the message is just as clear.

I've had some good readings with it too...

SP :)

Lianne

I happen to love this deck. Rider Waite (and Enchanted Tarot) was my first deck, and RWS is indeed, imo, a very effective deck, but I haven't used it for years. I keep buying decks, and Sharman Caselli arrived after I built up my collection a bit, but that, Tarot Sutra and Spiral are my standbys. My only quibble with this deck is the backs are reversible, and since I can use reversals with this deck (I can't with some others), it's a little inconvenient (because of the sort of complicated way I happen to shuffle). But I have plenty of RWS clones, and I find this one to be one of the best. The book is very good too for beginners who aren't familiar with the symbolism in Tarot, as it explains various elements of each card quite well. The packaging is ridiculous, you actually have to cut the book off from the rest of the set, but since I own 3 copies of it (my all time record for one particular deck), I've obviously found a way to overlook it. ;)

This is a wonderful deck for both total beginners as well as others looking for an excellent RWS clone. I have some new additions that are interesting (Ancient Egyptian, Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg, and am also reacquainting myself with Robin Wood), but Sharman Caselli is always one of my "permanent" ones.

Emily

I've just took delivery of this deck and book set and I was very surprised. I'm not sure what I thought the cards would be like but from the few scans I saw I was sure i would like it and I do. :)

The artword is gorgeous, it wouldn't look out of place on LS or US Games decks - Its very well drawn and coloured. The card stock although not as thin or flexible as say LS decks is still sturdy enough to take years of shuffling. And the book is no nonsense and very informative. I know that its a beginners deck but I think a more experienced user would get a good deal from it. I can't put the book down.

Although I had cut the back piece off the book within 5 mins of opening it lol

For the price I think this set is a bargain. :)

The 78th Fool

I learned to read properly with this set. I thought I'd outgrow it but it hasn't happened yet and I still turn to both the deck and the book regularly. This is much more than a package just for beginners.

Chris. xx

Cerulean

Very good review...

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sharman-caselli/review.shtml

I did like your review, Chris! The simple illustrations are effective. I think I still prefer a softer color palette during certain bright-light seasons...still in soft lighting, the brighter and simpler palette (compared to Giorgio Trevisan or Luigi Scapini or Giorgio Tavaglione's tarot paintings) would be a crisp advantage.

When I wrote about it, I think I was comparing it with the feel that I had with other Italian decks done in the RWS style. I cut off the borders of this deck as well a few years ago.

I'm going to pull this out again to compare to my favorite childhood book illustrations by an Italian painter/sculpture. The use of reds in the Sharman Caselli are very memorable to me...strong impressions and yet delicate line quality.

Good excerpts and scans:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/031...661-2128160?_encoding=UTF8&p=S00C#reader-page

Cerulean

P.S. I did an archive search and this was the third thread I replied to when I first came on Aeclectic.net! How neat, Lee welcomed me to the forum in this thread.

Cerulean

Scroll down to find the workbook listing...

http://www.connections-publishing.com/product_list.asp?department_id=3

I thought I'd post to people who are fans of the deck-book--I had replaced my older trade copy. Nothing wrong with my original that I removed the borders--I had traded it a few years ago and now replaced it...but this time, I didn't remove the borders.

Maybe of interest to fans of this deck.

Regards,

Cerulean

sunflowr

I like this deck, but the backs are horrible. Isnt anyone else having this issue, where the color of the backs sort of bleed into the white borders on the front? I am. I wish they hadnt painted it like that. Why not just a simple white background with a simple design on it? Oh well.

And why does the girl on the 6 of cups look so sad? Maybe it's just me?