Starlight Dragon Deck - Steph Engert and Nora Huszka

AnemoneRosie

It's a real beauty, by the way. However, some negative points won't go away: the LWB explains the minor's design, but sometimes the impressions the cards give ate only very subtle leaning towards their meaning. Maybe it's more close to a Marseille-style deck than a Thoth-style one.

The biggest issue I have isn't with the deck itself, though. It's with the LWB. Some of the texts about dragons are, in my terms, cheesy and by no means useful in a practical sense. The texts about the cards are no revelation either...

I think that I've been having success because I'm primarily a Marseilles-style reader. I agree that it's more in that family than the Thoth.

The cheese got to me as well. I won't be reading the LWB very much.

Myrrha

I chose this deck *because* of the more minimalist art. I wanted a deck with a modern vibe but more abstract pips. Still, I am finding this aspect of the deck a bit difficult to work with. It is a question of how to go beyond the standard meanings/book meanings. With more illustrated decks there is always a detail to catch my eye and send me on a trail of thought about the issue. This will be an interesting challenge!

The symbolic images seem to point at something beyond them, I really get a sense of the energies that they represent. I am not so sure (yet) how to bring back a detailed reading from them. Working with pre-set ideas about the interactions between these energies (such as elemental dignities and astrology) might fill in the gaps.

It does seem like a deck you have to work closely with for a time in order to even know the cards.

I love that the courts are simply "Water of Fire" or "Air of Air" there is no need to relate them to the Waite or Thoth court systems. The book does give that information butI am really enjoying just letting them be their non-human elemental dragon selves.

I don't find the ideas in the book cheesy at all but then I'm also slightly jealous of @farzon that the dragons chose to shower him with gold dust! :joke: