Tarot and...?

greatdane

Not trying to pry, not asking any specifics, but in the general area of what one might term, metaphysical, is tarot it for you or are you interested in other things that tarot is just part of? I mean anything else, like crystals, a Pagan or Wiccan path, just into nature, or is tarot pretty much it? Again, not trying to ask specifics or pry, just wondering if tarot is it for you in and of itself, or part of other interests in the very general metaphysical world.

GD

Le Fanu

I would say I am interested first & foremost in divination. However, Tarot (and some Oracles, mainly the historic ones) is always in first place (because of the artwork and the soothing nature of shuffling and the idea of chance).

I have always loved playing cards - again, especially historic ones - and so I guess that is where it has its roots and why tarot interests me more than other types of divination such as I-Ching & runes. I find both of these interesting and return to them periodically. Runes soon bore me, but the I-Ching is a constant source of fascination and reflection.

It was after tarot had got a firm grip that I started keeping citirine with my decks and - before I knew it - was on the slippery crystals slide. Then that led to pendulums, obsidian and scrying. I am not particularly adept at either of these things but let's say I dabble and enjoy myself and will read anything on the history of magic.

I do not consider myself to be wiccan or pagan or druid but have enormous respect for these movements or beliefs (as I have for any belief). I enjoy nature as much as the next person but I wouldn't say that nature is an interest per se.

Oh but ghosts and the paranormal, Victorian spiritism, table rapping, the unexplained, ghost photography. Get me on these and I won't shut up...

Libra8ca

One of my first interests in the metaphysical were crystals; I still remember buying my first amethyst crystals when I was about 12 for a science project. Then there was a phase where I was into the "positive thinking" thing and read all sorts of books on dreams, reincarnation, and karma and started getting psychic / tarot readings. This lead to getting an astrology reading which made me study western and vedic astrology quite intensely. After that I started to explore psychic development which then ignited my interest in tarot cards again. Basically I'm a work in progress :D Astrology is still one of my main hobbies :)

moderndayruth

Tarot and Kabbalah and Chinese Philosophy, than Vipassana and SilvaUltramind... and what not. :p The priorities are Tarot and Kabbalah.
For a decade or so i was very much into Yi Jing, ended up in China studying philosophy and language... I can't say the interest faded, but i don't spend hours daily immersed into Chinese studies as i used to. Same with Silva and Vipassana (though now i do only breathing consciousness) , i practice most of the days for an hour or so, but than i don't think about it for the rest of the day.

greatdane

Realllly interesting, Le Fanu and Libra....

That was exactly what I was asking. I am a big contradiction in terms (or maybe it just all gels together for me). Scientic method, want both sides or several re a topic, not a pessimist, but a bit of a skeptic, then there is the side that would love to see a unicorn :). I do enjoy crystals, all time favorite, quartz crystals or clusters. I do have great respect for those on the Wiccan or Pagan or any type of nature path, yet do not define myself as either. Like Le Fanu and Libra said, one thing kind of leads one to another and then something else, and maybe you go back to the beginning, but it's all good. Thank you for sharing, Le Fanu and Libra. I wanted to see if others had started out with interest in other things not easily defined before, or along the way, with tarot.

Namaste,
GD

Evermore

Metaphysics!

I love Tarot, mostly. I'm very interested in the metaphysics, though; pretty much anything and everything although I really only KNOW Tarot. I love divination. :) I also love the paranormal, psychic abilities, etc. Haha! :p I also find Wiccan/Pagan/anything-magick-like paths very interesting! :)

I have a book on Numerology and Astrology that I hope to get to over the summer. :) I'd love to really get into Astrology.

Beautiful Blessings,
Natasha <3

greatdane

Thank you, Nat and Modern!

It's just nice knowing others are interested in, or have explored, all kinds of things loosely covered by the metaphysical area. I took two university level religion classes (but I'm not conventionally religious), find much in the Wiccan and Pagan paths interesting, but didn't define myself there either. Do feel some kinship with aspects of Buddhism, but don't consider myself Buddhist. I pick and choose from all paths what works for me and then combine them. I think that's one of the GREAT things about tarot, there are no real rules and it's similar, yet I'm sure personal and unique, to everyone.

Evermore

Comparative Religious Thought I

greatdane said:
It's just nice knowing others are interested in, or have explored, all kinds of things loosely covered by the metaphysical area. I took two university level religion classes (but not conventionally religious), find much in the Wiccan and Pagan paths interesting, but didn't define myself there either. Do feel some kinship with aspects of Buddhism, but don't consider myself Buddhist. I pick and choose from all paths what works for me and then combine them. I think that's one of the GREAT things about tarot, there are no real rules and it's similar, yet I'm sure personal and unique, to everyone.

I'm taking one of two Comparative Religious Thought classes. It's quite enjoyable and interesting! I like it a lot! :D But I pick and choose and combine just like you. Haha! :D

Beautiful Blessings,
Natasha <3

MareSaturni

First of all: Tarot & Oracles, specially playing cards.

Second: Astrology - can't help, i grew up with my mom making the natal charts of the whole family. I knew my sun and my rising signs before i even knew how to write.

Third: Recently, i became interested in palmistry.

AND i have a strong academic interest in mythology, religions, rituals etc. Academic, because i don't practice them. I study religious iconography, but don't necessarily pray for the saints i'm studying or do rituals for the deities i'm reading about. I particularly love the Greek/Roman and Afro-Brazilian mythologies and the Judeo-Christian traditions. Yes, i read the bible - i happen to enjoy it. Academically. LOL :joke:

Briar Rose

For me, Tarot acts like a bridge, bringing understanding and knowledge of different realms through perspectives that perhaps, normally would go unnoticed.