Tarot combined with astrology

Melia

Do you use that spread wulzcat when answering a very specific question the client has?

Let's put it this way, Tarot will give you an answer to a specific question promptly, whilst it takes ages to read a chart to get the same conclusion considering all the calculation involved. Although now we have programs to speed the process.

It takes just minutes to draw up a chart and get a print-out. It's the interpretation that takes a bit of time, but no different to tarot in this respect .... some things will be immediately obvious, while other things are revealed during the course of the reading, so not that different to a good tarot reading. The big difference that I see is a birth date (which is often what is charted) is unalterable, indisputable, fixed ... therefore chance plays no part. With astrology you can't really dispute the placement of the planetary bodies at birth. With tarot one can ask the same question on day 1 and on day 2 and on day 3, but often not draw the same cards.

wulzcat

Do you use that spread wulzcat when answering a very specific question the client has?

Not really (not at the moment anyway), more of a psychological overview of the client's life. having said that, certain things would come up within that spread that may also answer specific questions.

It takes just minutes to draw up a chart and get a print-out. It's the interpretation that takes a bit of time, but no different to tarot in this respect .... some things will be immediately obvious, while other things are revealed during the course of the reading, so not that different to a good tarot reading. The big difference that I see is a birth date (which is often what is charted) is unalterable, indisputable, fixed ... therefore chance plays no part. With astrology you can't really dispute the placement of the planetary bodies at birth. With tarot one can ask the same question on day 1 and on day 2 and on day 3, but often not draw the same cards.

True. But if you cast an horary chart, that is similar to asking questions of the tarot. The birth chart doesn't ask a question, and isn't really divination, whereas tarot is; but you can use question-based horary astrology as divination. I have never learnt horary methods but a number of eminent astrologers prefer horary to standard birth charting. What I'm doing is some sort of hybrid...!

The timing of the question is key to horary, which is similar to what you say about different answers on different days for the tarot. things change, which is perhaps a slightly disturbing thought for those of us who like to think the future is more-or-less set...

hmm. i'm not sure if any of that made sense but i'm still thinking about it! ;)

Melia

Wulzcat, horary is for sure like asking tarot a question, but it's just one form of astrology and which isn't used by all astrologers. Horary wasn't what I was referring to when I made my OP.

As for natal charts not really 'answering' questions. If that were the case then no-one would seek out an astrologer's advice. Natal charts along with transits/progressions certainly do answers questions in many areas of life - relationships/compatability, career, finance/business, health questions, pregnancy questions, crime etc.

And using this as an example only, if 2 natal charts showed strong incompatability b/w 2 people, but horary and tarot told me otherwise, guess what I would be more inclined to believe? Would this be because I don't believe that some/all things can change (therefore that things are set in stone)?

wulzcat

Wulzcat, horary is for sure like asking tarot a question, but it's just one form of astrology and which isn't used by all astrologers. Horary wasn't what I was referring to when I made my OP.

As for natal charts not really 'answering' questions. If that were the case then no-one would seek out an astrologer's advice. Natal charts along with transits/progressions certainly do answers questions in many areas of life - relationships/compatability, career, finance/business, health questions, pregnancy questions, crime etc.

And using this as an example only, if 2 natal charts showed strong incompatability b/w 2 people, but horary and tarot told me otherwise, guess what I would be more inclined to believe? Would this be because I don't believe that some/all things can change (therefore that things are set in stone)?

:)

Ok cool, hope i didn't sound like i was trying to be argumentative, as i wasn't at all! just kind of thinking aloud over the various issues. of course there are questions over the natal chart, i was being very literal in my phrasing. i just meant one doesn't 'submit' a question to natal chart in the same way as to an horary chart, but of course that isn't saying natal doesn't answer questions. and i know for sure the majority of astrologers favour natal over horary! i was literally mulling over issues and not favouring any method over another! i find all methods equally valid and all fascinating. in fact i was stimulated by the debate and not meaning to be provocative. so, everything is cool...

Melia

Everything is fine Wulzcat - I didn't see you as argumentative/provocative ... and I hope I didn't come across as argumentative? (It's just too bad we can't also hear the other person's tone of voice over the net - it would save a lot of angst).

I'm glad you raised the horary charts - I knew someone would - it's relevant. I've not done this - ever - but it would be interesting to have someone ask a question of tarot and to do an horary chart at the same time .... to see if the answers given align. Perhaps something that could be done in the exchange forum at some time.

Cerulean

I use simpler astrology linked with GD meanings as explained

in the decks that I like,

Celestial Tarot for instance.

But other than keeping my eyes out for favorite cards with associations such as the pip card equating the moon in Libra or major of sun in Gemini, my reading and learning flows with the deck creators presentation of myths...not as complex as dealing with my birthchart and planetary hours of alignment. The latter is of general interest of ideas for me to look at, but the original question seems more astrologically studious--a very fascinating blend.

I am curious what tarot decks appeal to the more serious blending of tarot and astologers, if that makes sense and my curiousity on what decks helps astrologers...hope this goes along with the questions and ideas presented here...

Cenozoic

I like learning astrology even though I'm a beginner, but I cannot correctly do my natal chart because I do not know my birth hour (I had to guess it with the best of my ability), which is why I lean towards using tarot more.

I mean I just use those online natal birth chart generators, and even with my guessed birth hour, the information given was pretty spot on, so I don't disregard astrology in the slightest.

But for astrology and tarot together, I'd usually just combine symbolism. But I'm guessing you mean using them to compare to, like if in astrology it says you're going to have a break up during this certain period in your life, and then seeing the tarot readings for that time? I've often wondered that myself. I guess everything is connected though, so it may be possible. It'll be interesting hearing what others have to say about it though.

wind

I am a professional psychological astrologer, I've studied astrology, I have my own practice, I work with clients as astrologer but not as tarot reader because I don't want to get known as 'fortune teller':) And people easily see tarot just as simple prediction.

I use astrological knowledge a lot, especially with elements and the meaning of Major arcana that have astrological correlations; I like tarot decks that have astrological significators, as Toth and Celestial, I use the wheel spread, that is, the houses of the horoscope as a spread. There is this great book 'Tarot decoded' by Elizabeth Hazel where she goes in great lenght into elements and planetary energies and she also proposes some spreads, like the cross - using the axes of the horoscope (Ascendant, descendant, Imum coeli, medium coeli), and astrological correlations for all the cards. I really loved the book.

I have used tarot to understand a certain transit better, asking what this transit is all about, what does it bring, for instance.

To the contrary of general belief, astrological chart is not somehting fixed - it is an alive entity, with its own development. Not only the transits, we have the progressed chart and then we can study the transits to the progressed chart or vice versa, interaction between progressions and natal theme, then we have the solar return chart, lunar return (can be done every month)...whatever you need and want:)

The natal theme is the main structure, of course, but by all means astrology takes into consideration the moment itself, the dynamics of this specific time and period. Also, many themes of the chart are not expressed in the life of the person, many configurations lie dormant and they do not come to life until some specific transit or progression. So, the natal theme is not something fixed - it changes according to the development of the person.

Astrology and tarot share a lot, although as a reading in whole, looking at the natal chart can indeed be more complex, at least untill you absorb the significance of all the points and planets and learn to combine them into a story. Of course, story telling is an important and crucial aspect of a tarot reading, but the chart in itself is far more complex as the usual tarot spreads that we use.

Melia

Thank you for your thoughts on the topic wind and the book reference.

I gather the wheel spread you mention is not something you use with your clients though?

The birth date and time are fixed in the sense that no-one can change this and no-one can dispute this, so the 'natal birth' chart is fixed in this respect ... no? Even the transits, progressions, lunar and solar return - where the planetary bodies are placed or have progressed/transited to on the given day, month or year can't be disputed, in the sense that one astrologer working with a date/time/location will see the planetary bodies positioned in the same sign/degree as any other astrologer examining the very same. Is this so with tarot when the same question is asked of different readers?

wind

Hey Melia,

I didn't see your question before, sorry!
I don't use tarot with my clients, I just do astrology, as I said, I don't want to be known as 'fortune teller':)

You are right, of course, the position of the planets is fixed, whatever chart we look at. I just wanted to say that astrology is alive and it is a flux, it is not some fate written in stone.
But of course there are as many interpretations as there are astrologers.

Tarot always gives a different reading, different kind of cards - this could be parallel to horary charts, where astrologer asks a question and casts a chart for it. This in fact is like giving a tarot reading, the chart is always different, depeneding on the time the question was asked. The rules to interpret such a chart are very structured and complex, horary astrology is art into itself. In the Astrology forum here, Minderwiz gives beautiful horary analysis.

I personally am into psychological astrology, as I said, dealing with complexes, conscious and unconscious motives, exploring childhood patterns - it is more of a psychoanalitical work. Here I work with the natal chart, using transits mostly - but we go into a deep exploration of how a certain archetypal theme is being played in the person's life. This ways each interpretation is unique and it also depends on the maturity of the person and how profoundly is able to go.