Tarot of the Saints - would anyone like to study it with me?

Saffron

I love this set and think it has lots of possibilities.

The Saints, and the Christian iconography bring an alternative viewpoint to the cards, which I'd really like to discuss with others who are interested in this set.

If you would be interested in being involved in a study group for the Tarot of the Saints, let me know.

Saffron x

room

Well Saffron, I see many people are beating down your study door on this one. :D

I would like to study it.

I would probably refer to other cards that have the featured Saint on them for a fuller interpretation. I have two other saint decks and some related playing cards. I also have 2 Saint encyclopedias and a dictionary on the saints.

MaryElTarotFan

I think this would prove a most interesting study group. I am not sure how many people out there on these boards own this Tarot but I have my copy in hand. I suppose we could share what the Saints depicted by themselves mean to us and then share out thoughts on the corresponding Tarot designation they were assigned. I am already questioning St Francis of Assisi as The Fool as I type this(LOL). I would probably be bringing just a little bit of syncretization from Santeria and Vodou in the mix and this does color how I view a few of the Saints a bit. This could be pulled off, yet :)

room

Just a thought about this. I was reading this thread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=27925&page=1&pp=10&highlight=tarot+saints

I noticed a comment about a certain card and how the Saint depicted but totally wrong etc. except the person commenting didn't know much about the saint (post 30), as was made clear in the post following it (post 31).

I'm not sure that criticizing which saint was chosen for what card is a useful way of study. I would consider it more interesting to suspend that and work with what the author actually picked and discuss that.

If you're going to study a particular deck, the study will concern the choices that the author made and understanding that by trying to understand the pattern as the author has done.

Otherwise, you're merely studying the way it wasn't done, not the actual deck. I'm sorry to be difficult about it, but I don't want to study how anyone thinks it should have been done, I want to study what's actually there.

Saffron

room said:
Just a thought about this. I was reading this thread:

If you're going to study a particular deck, the study will concern the choices that the author made and understanding that by trying to understand the pattern as the author has done.

I totally agree with you on this Room.

And it's good to know that, even if in a minority, I'm not the only one that likes this deck ;)

room

We are rebels. ;-)

And me not even Catholic. I am however interested in Church history as it has affected western civilization so deeply.

I read a book called Magnificent Corpses by Anneli Rufus and that was the beginning of my interest in the Saints. I think that many people, regardless of religion, find them fascinating because they made some sort of mark or difference in the world, and many of them suffered the most gruesome deaths as martyrs. Humans love a story.

And some of the saints aren't even actual people, but amalgams of people and legend. I was sad to see that St. Christopher and Saint Barbara are no longer considered "real." Yet still they are popular.

The Saint Barbara legend reminds me very much of Psyche being shut up in her castle tower (or Rapunzel), which is probably where the story came from, classical mythology.

Well, you have to start a separate thread on each card to study them here according to the rules. Are you going to do a random pick or go sequentially? I don't mind doing them out of order if you want to just pick the ones that interest you most.

room

I was checking the Study Forum and I see that some groups have a single thread for each suit, rather than a thread for individual cards in the Minors.

I was thinking that for this study, one thread for each suit might work. The details on some of the Minors are quite sparse, and yet there is adequate symbolism to discuss them as a whole group.

So maybe one thread for each Major and then 4 threads for the Minors? Keeps it nice and neat?

Master_Margarita

Hm. Any interest in reviving a study of this deck?

:heart: M_M~

celticnoodle

an interest here Master_Margarita! I've forgotten that I purchased this deck a long time ago, and I've never opened it! (I found it while cleaning & it was in a 'hiding place' :rolleyes:) If you get enough interest to re-vive this, I'd love to be included. I am ready to begin discussing this deck, and using it. Let me know if you want to just go ahed with the two of us, in the hopes that others will join in, or if you want to wait for more people to join in the discussion.

The crowned one

I have this deck and would like to start working with it too. I am not sure if I can commit the time to do it or others wishing to study this deck the effort to do it right. But I may follow along:)