Tarot Parties-What is an appropriate and reasonable amount to charge?

Kahlie

Hey celeste,

I know your party is over, but here is some info on what I do with my clients/party requesters, it might help you.

I've noted that most of my party bookers only ask me about a Party like 2-3 weeks before hand, sometimes even less.... that's why I have my template for Price Quote's Handy and my own way of calculating what I think is fair.

So here's my deal:

Pricing consists of fee for traveling that I need to pay. I ask this up front as a deposit. They also get a signed confirmation form from me on what we agreed upon, as well as rules on cancellation, extra guests etc.

I then check what I'm going to do:

- How many guests per minute?

Then my pricing goes up, as it seems that I will be doing a lot of Readings quickly, which costs a lot of energy. Working 3 hours with 5-6 clients an hour (10 mins per client and no break!) really wears you out a lot more then working 3 hours with 6 clients (having around 25 mins a client and a break!)

Remind yourself that most people would enjoy if you would introduce yourself at the beginning of the party, so you would need to schedule time for that as well. Plus I always get there at least 15 mins early to set myself up.

- Workshop or Readings?

I also offer workshops which I've been hired for before on Hen's Parties etc. Since Workshops aren't as intensive as Readings, pricing is lower. It's because I let people do something themselves so I have breaks in it etc.

- Private or Corporate?

My Corporate pricing is higher, as frankly, first of all, companies can afford it, second of all, they usually have parties with a load of people (200), and expect you to do Readings for 'all who want it'. Which can be tricky!

Private Parties are usually people who are all interested, so you know how many guests you are going to go and get.

Decide for yourself how many hours you can work comfortably. I usually set cheaper rates for a Reading after a Workshop/Tarot Party, then I would do privately, BUT not if I'm going to go over 3 hours, then I'm tired afterwards and wouldn't really want to read that much.

So, for example, recently, I did a Tarot Reading Party for 4 People, with a short traveling distance (15 mins) from 10pm-12. Pricing was 125 euros, which would be $177. The host also offered me refreshments (which were very good). So I made around 50 euros an hour, as I also have to drive there. My normal rates for a private Reading are 45 euros an hour. However, then I just have one client, now I was sure of 4.
The host paid, but else, each participant would be paying 31.25 euros for Reading.

I also did a Workshop in June, with 10 people attending, also from 10pm-12pm, but the traveling distance was an hour, and costs for that would be 25 euros. So, I asked for 175 euros, which meant 150 was for me, and I worked 2 hours and traveled 2, So I made 37.50 an hour, albeit 2 hours I didn't work, but just sat in the car ;)
Also, each participant would have paid 17,50 euro for a 2 hour workshop, which is also a very fair price.

Hope this helps on the party bit,

It's sad when people can't afford you, but Don't sell yourself short. You offer a service, they wouldn't be getting free massages even if that was good for them, because they can't afford it... or other discounted services... Tarot Reading is often a luxury somewhat, although most of my clients tell me it's necessary and I get bundles of thanks and gratitude...

Problem with pricing can be solved in many ways:
- Consider doing 30 mins Readings. I have those, which are 25, which is a bit more then half price, as traveling time still eats into what you do.
- Consider finding a place to do Readings. At the store, I offer 15 minutes, 15 euros Readings. I'm going to sit there anyway, and have my books or something else with me if I have no clients.
- Consider 2 for 1. If you really are desperate for more clients or want to build your client base up quick, you could consider a "bring a friend" type of Reading. They get one, their friend gets one free. This way word of mouth would spread very fast.

I felt for a long time that maybe my pricing was too much, as I didn't hit it off much, but also, this is part time for me, and I had just started.

When you get out of a 3,5 hour Reading (Couple Reading) and say you wish to give a discount, and they pay you 150 euros (discount of 7,50!), because frankly, they don't think more of a discount is fair and they really wish that they could do more for you... well... you are flabbergasted, but you think you must be doing something right at least :D

Kahlie

celeste

Nimbus said:
Celeste,

I am very interested in the "Tarot for Teens" course you offer. I am in the process of developing a syllabus for a course I would like to offer for teens. Of course now you know I will bug you about it in April!! :) I will bring my stuff to show you and perhaps you can give me some feedback.

~Deborah
Sure! (I will probably have forgotton by then but bug me anyway!)

celeste

Kahlie;

I appreciate all the advice you gave me, and no I don't sell myself short:
I have an advertised list of tarot courses(in keeping with the current standard of prices here) of which no one is calling me for.
I have an advertised list of tarot readings which no one is calling me for.
The tarot party that I did was the only one that I booked because even at the low prices, no one else called me.

So I am either:
a) A terrible card reader (which I don't believe is true because I have gotten many many reports back from people saying how happy and satisfied they were with my readings and how true they came.)

b) not advertizing in the right places (which may be true too)

c) There is little interest in tarot in the community I am in (That may be slightly true-this is not a cosmopolitan city by any means-the major entertainment here is watching sports and drinking beer and not always in that order. There is a big Wiccan community though I am not part of it-and dont want to be.

d) People don't spend alot of money on tarot here (which I am suspecting is true.

I spent alot of money on educating myself to be a tarot reader, (and continue to do so) as well as a Rieki Master and (working on becoming) a Shaman. I do not sell myself short, I am just very frustrated that all my hard work seems to be for nothing.

I love reading tarot and I do it for helping people and myself-that is why I became a tarot reader-that was my main goal-not to become rich-if it happens great-but I don't think it will happen in Winnipeg any time soon.

Kahlie said:
Hey celeste,

I know your party is over, but here is some info on what I do with my clients/party requesters, it might help you.

I've noted that most of my party bookers only ask me about a Party like 2-3 weeks before hand, sometimes even less.... that's why I have my template for Price Quote's Handy and my own way of calculating what I think is fair.

So here's my deal:

Pricing consists of fee for traveling that I need to pay. I ask this up front as a deposit. They also get a signed confirmation form from me on what we agreed upon, as well as rules on cancellation, extra guests etc.

I then check what I'm going to do:

- How many guests per minute?

Then my pricing goes up, as it seems that I will be doing a lot of Readings quickly, which costs a lot of energy. Working 3 hours with 5-6 clients an hour (10 mins per client and no break!) really wears you out a lot more then working 3 hours with 6 clients (having around 25 mins a client and a break!)

Remind yourself that most people would enjoy if you would introduce yourself at the beginning of the party, so you would need to schedule time for that as well. Plus I always get there at least 15 mins early to set myself up.

- Workshop or Readings?

I also offer workshops which I've been hired for before on Hen's Parties etc. Since Workshops aren't as intensive as Readings, pricing is lower. It's because I let people do something themselves so I have breaks in it etc.

- Private or Corporate?

My Corporate pricing is higher, as frankly, first of all, companies can afford it, second of all, they usually have parties with a load of people (200), and expect you to do Readings for 'all who want it'. Which can be tricky!

Private Parties are usually people who are all interested, so you know how many guests you are going to go and get.

Decide for yourself how many hours you can work comfortably. I usually set cheaper rates for a Reading after a Workshop/Tarot Party, then I would do privately, BUT not if I'm going to go over 3 hours, then I'm tired afterwards and wouldn't really want to read that much.

So, for example, recently, I did a Tarot Reading Party for 4 People, with a short traveling distance (15 mins) from 10pm-12. Pricing was 125 euros, which would be $177. The host also offered me refreshments (which were very good). So I made around 50 euros an hour, as I also have to drive there. My normal rates for a private Reading are 45 euros an hour. However, then I just have one client, now I was sure of 4.
The host paid, but else, each participant would be paying 31.25 euros for Reading.

I also did a Workshop in June, with 10 people attending, also from 10pm-12pm, but the traveling distance was an hour, and costs for that would be 25 euros. So, I asked for 175 euros, which meant 150 was for me, and I worked 2 hours and traveled 2, So I made 37.50 an hour, albeit 2 hours I didn't work, but just sat in the car ;)
Also, each participant would have paid 17,50 euro for a 2 hour workshop, which is also a very fair price.

Hope this helps on the party bit,

It's sad when people can't afford you, but Don't sell yourself short. You offer a service, they wouldn't be getting free massages even if that was good for them, because they can't afford it... or other discounted services... Tarot Reading is often a luxury somewhat, although most of my clients tell me it's necessary and I get bundles of thanks and gratitude...

Problem with pricing can be solved in many ways:
- Consider doing 30 mins Readings. I have those, which are 25, which is a bit more then half price, as traveling time still eats into what you do.
- Consider finding a place to do Readings. At the store, I offer 15 minutes, 15 euros Readings. I'm going to sit there anyway, and have my books or something else with me if I have no clients.
- Consider 2 for 1. If you really are desperate for more clients or want to build your client base up quick, you could consider a "bring a friend" type of Reading. They get one, their friend gets one free. This way word of mouth would spread very fast.

I felt for a long time that maybe my pricing was too much, as I didn't hit it off much, but also, this is part time for me, and I had just started.

When you get out of a 3,5 hour Reading (Couple Reading) and say you wish to give a discount, and they pay you 150 euros (discount of 7,50!), because frankly, they don't think more of a discount is fair and they really wish that they could do more for you... well... you are flabbergasted, but you think you must be doing something right at least :D

Kahlie

celeste

I have pulled my ad for tarot reading out of the papers I was putting it in because I haven't had too much business come from that. I will try advertsing in the yellow pages (a lightbulb moment-why didn't I think of this before?) and see if I get more traffic that way.

Kahlie

celeste said:
Kahlie;

I appreciate all the advice you gave me, and no I don't sell myself short:
I have an advertised list of tarot courses(in keeping with the current standard of prices here) of which no one is calling me for.
I have an advertised list of tarot readings which no one is calling me for.
The tarot party that I did was the only one that I booked because even at the low prices, no one else called me.

Don't you think you are selling yourself short if you tell me that you are using low prices? You should at least have moderate prices ;)

As you know, there are several reasons why people don't call, and pricing is only one of them... also, it's known that when you have insanely low prices, people don't believe that you have what it takes, that you are just 'practicing'... you don't want that impression either :)

celeste said:
b) not advertizing in the right places (which may be true too)

That seems likely. Try advertising in places where you know the public you are aiming for shops or comes by. You might try Crystal Stores, Alternative Food Stores etc. Ask if you can leave a couple of flyers there.

celeste said:
c) There is little interest in tarot in the community I am in (That may be slightly true-this is not a cosmopolitan city by any means-the major entertainment here is watching sports and drinking beer and not always in that order. There is a big Wiccan community though I am not part of it-and dont want to be.

You don't have to be part of the Wiccan community to have customers there, right? (I'm not Wiccan, nor is there a Wiccan community near me). You might also consider doing Readings in bars or cafes... If anything 'new' is opening in the area, you could call the owner and ask if they want you there to 'spice things up' or make things festive. :)

Check out Halloween Events and ring if they ever considered having a Tarot Reader there.

celeste said:
I spent alot of money on educating myself to be a tarot reader, (and continue to do so) as well as a Rieki Master and (working on becoming) a Shaman. I do not sell myself short, I am just very frustrated that all my hard work seems to be for nothing.

It's not for nothing. Think of all the benefits it already brought you. Maybe doing a Reading on finding possibilities for you is a good idea. Brain storm. Also, remember to ask *EVERYBODY* whom you do Readings for if they want a flyer or business card for a friend. I had a huge problem when people didn't realize they could in fact, advertise for me ;)

celeste said:
I love reading tarot and I do it for helping people and myself-that is why I became a tarot reader-that was my main goal-not to become rich-if it happens great-but I don't think it will happen in Winnipeg any time soon.

It's never about becoming rich. It's about making sure that you earn a fair fee. I've done workshops for 10-12 people and came out of it with 25 euros for hours of work. It was beautiful, no doubt, but I felt a lot more satisfied when I got paid my fair share.

I wish the same for you. There is enough work out there.

I wish you a lot of success,

Kahlie

celeste

I have charged low fees and high fees with no change. My loyal customers I do give a bit of a break too-and they appreciate it and show me they do with continued service. I have done readings on it and the only thing I can think of changing is where I advertise. I have done the whole metaphysical shops thing as well as other local businesses , + yoga and reiki places. I am going to put an ad in the yellow pages and see if that changes anything.