Tarot Tattoos?

Alamaris

I have the ouroboros from the Alchemical Tarot's Hermit on both of my wrists -- one faces left and the other faces right.

I've been considering a bona fide tarot tattoo for years now, and haven't been able to make up my mind on what I want, although it will probably be something based on the Death card; it's my card as a Scorpio and has a lot of personal significance besides. Failing that, something based on the Star.

SagiChar

Alamaris said:
I have the ouroboros from the Alchemical Tarot's Hermit on both of my wrists -- one faces left and the other faces right.

I love wrist tattoos...I have a friend that got a wrist tattoo and they broke the bone while giving her the tattoo (????) ... I hope you had better luck!!!

Alamaris said:
I've been considering a bona fide tarot tattoo for years now, and haven't been able to make up my mind on what I want, although it will probably be something based on the Death card; it's my card as a Scorpio and has a lot of personal significance besides. Failing that, something based on the Star.

I'm seeing that a lot of people relate with the Death card...funny how us knowledgeable of tarot can appreciate that card!!

Lokisen

I don't have any tattoos myself, but I wanted to say that while all the art in Shadowscapes is amazing and beautiful and so delicate and intricate, I think the card artwork in this deck that has made the most impression on me is the devil card--the symbolism and imagery in it is so different: yes, there is the devil as a faun/satyr-like creature which has long been part of the conception of the tarot devil's look, but the twist is he's holding a web w/ a heart in it--that is quite evocative, and it brings a dark and primal element to a deck where there are many images that are rather chaste and fragile. Also, I think another card from Shadowscapes that would make a great tattoo is the nine of swords--the figure who is looking up at the ravens/crows swirling around him/her. She's/he's even got the nine swords tattooed on his/her chest--a good parallel for the tattooing experience in real life. Again, this card is a little darker and more stark than the rest of the deck.

SagiChar

I think it is SO interesting the choice of cards that call to you...so Lokisen...are you perhaps going to be thinking of getting a tarot tattoo now??? (hee hee hee!!!)

lavenderlady

Tarot Tats - Robin Wood

I have a tat based on a couple of Robin Wood's cards. When I asked my artist about this she said it's good to get the Tarots artist permission, Any copywriter (copywrote?) work, really. So I called the number on her page and SHE answered. I chatted with her for a minute and she asked if she could see a picture of the finished work, purely out of curiosity. I emailed her a photo of it. She was very very cool about the whole thing.
Hope this helps.

SagiChar

lavenderlady said:
I have a tat based on a couple of Robin Wood's cards. When I asked my artist about this she said it's good to get the Tarots artist permission, Any copywriter (copywrote?) work, really. So I called the number on her page and SHE answered. I chatted with her for a minute and she asked if she could see a picture of the finished work, purely out of curiosity. I emailed her a photo of it. She was very very cool about the whole thing.
Hope this helps.

Seriously??? I would've never THOUGHT of having to get an artist's permission!!!

I'm even more surprised that when you called you talked to the artist! (I personally don't know if I would've made the phone call...oops...did I type that out loud???)

In all seriousness, that is probably a good thing to know (as I obviously didn't!!!) I'm glad she gave you permission and happy to hear she was cool about it...she was probably even flattered a bit...

lavenderlady

taarot tats

Seriously??? I would've never THOUGHT of having to get an artist's permission!!!

I'm even more surprised that when you called you talked to the artist! (I personally don't know if I would've made the phone call...oops...did I type that out loud???)

In all seriousness, that is probably a good thing to know (as I obviously didn't!!!) I'm glad she gave you permission and happy to hear she was cool about it...she was probably even flattered a bit...

I didn't think about it either. When my tattoo artist said that I was thinking I' have to write official letters etc. I figured I'd get a PR office and nope - it was just ... a normal sounding household lol. I couldn't speak for a minute I was so surprised.