Tarotphobia: How do we feel about it, what do we do about it

Shade

The more normalized tarot becomes the less we will hear people say "Oh I'd be afraid to get a tarot reading." But the trick seems to be normalizing tarot without "dumbing it down" or pruning it of anything mystical. How far is too far in either direction? I don't read for strangers with the Gothic Vampire Tarot but neither would I read for them with a deck that had no Death or Devil card (personal preference of course - those decks are perfectly valid for some).

How accessible do we want to make tarot? The more open we are about it the more people will accept it. But also take into consideration your immediate reaction to seeing the book "Tarot Made Easy" or "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot." I am not criticizing the actual content of either book - the titles are a bit mis-leading. But I know a few folks who cringe at the idea of tarot being too easy or for "idiots." Fools on the other hand are perfectly valid ;-)

le fey

Shade said:
The more normalized tarot becomes the less we will hear people say "Oh I'd be afraid to get a tarot reading." /QUOTE]

Now that is one comment I don't mind hearing as long as it is fear of the right thing... if a person understands that Tarot is going to offer a no-BS look at their situation and not let them avoid that inner truth they may be working hard not to see... that' a valid fear. And also a good one to push beyond. But 'fessing up to that fear and doing a good solid self check (Am I really ready to hear this?) would be a lovely biproduct of Tarot being accepted and respected.

Sophie

Shade said:
How accessible do we want to make tarot? The more open we are about it the more people will accept it. But also take into consideration your immediate reaction to seeing the book "Tarot Made Easy" or "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot." I am not criticizing the actual content of either book - the titles are a bit mis-leading. But I know a few folks who cringe at the idea of tarot being too easy or for "idiots." Fools on the other hand are perfectly valid ;-)
About as accessible as we make books...there are many books to fit the tastes and educational level of many people. Tarot could be the same; some decks need study and concentration, some are light and fluffy and many are in-between. And just as there are some people who never read books, there will be some people who would never read cards or get their cards read. But just as non-book readers don't condemn book-readers, so it would be great if people who aren't into tarot didn't condemn those who are.

Anna

Shade said:
The more normalized tarot becomes the less we will hear people say "Oh I'd be afraid to get a tarot reading." But the trick seems to be normalizing tarot without "dumbing it down" or pruning it of anything mystical.

Tarot has already been dumbed down and made accesible for the masses. This has been going on for a long time. Just look at the plethera of decks available, the vast majority of which seem to be purely about artistic expression and are completly lacking in depth. The fact that many of these deck creators have not studied tarot and yet have created a tarot deck exemplifies it for me.

Glitterbird

Grizabella said:
A phobia is an irrational fear. Therefore, you can't dispel it by talking rationally to the person who has the fear any more than you can dispel the fear of someone who is claustrophobic by telling them rationally that small spaces won't hurt them.

No matter what you quote from the Bible to a tarotphobic Christian, they're not going to lose their phobia. They're going to tell you that only priests or Christ himself or the Apostles were allowed to cast lots or to prophesy or whatever.

This makes alot of sense - you can't change others opinions, only the way we deal with it.

Welf

Anna:
Tarot has already been dumbed down and made accesible for the masses. This has been going on for a long time. Just look at the plethera of decks available, the vast majority of which seem to be purely about artistic expression and are completly lacking in depth. The fact that many of these deck creators have not studied tarot and yet have created a tarot deck exemplifies it for me.
That's pretty well how I see these days too. I've never joined a Tarot Forum before this, never really looked on the internet at Tarot Cards to see what was around these days until now... and am a little shocked at what I see. So many new decks drawn in the last few decades or so without understanding the Tarot, many from non Tarot users....

Also seems there are Tarot books available with interpretations from authors who don't seem to have studied or used the Tarot to much of a depth either. Yet they write about these Tarot type cards as if they are highly qualified and knowledgable enough to give them meaning.. Not just exploitation, but a trivialisation of the Tarot... Not saying by any means, that all new Tarot decks and Tarot books fall into this catagory...

Going back to the original topic... reading those stories by SunChariot and Disa as to what they have gone through emotionally with loved ones not being able to tolerate the Tarot aspect is dismal and tragic. Heartbreaking.... Makes me wonder what unconditional love and caring for another person really means to some people.

Talking on a Tarot card, metaphysical, spiritual sense here... I may not like (agree) with some of the things my family and friends believe in. I may think some of it is downright wacked and stupid... I would maybe tell them of my thoughts, possibly give them my reasons as to why I think as I do... But I would never reject them and no longer care for or love them, or try to force then to change, all because they have a different belief system or different ways to mine.

Talk about control though..... emotional power play upon others...

I love you... but only if you believe and do as I say (think) you should.

Welf

gregory

Welf said:
Talk about control though..... emotional power play upon others...

I love you... but only if you believe and do as I say (think) you should.

Welf
This applies equally to those who insist on reading cards in front of people who are freaked by them. Whether we like it or not, they have as much right to their discomfort as we have to read. We don't know what made them feel as they do, and we have no right to judge them

I try to be able to walk past dogs when they are on the same path as I am. But it is desperately difficult for me, and sometimes I simply cannot do it. At least one person here thinks it is high time I "got over it." Easier said than done.

And if (as happened recently) a child I am with (who did NOT get his fear from me, BTW; no-one knows why he is so scared) refuses to come down off some climbing equipment until a dog - which had the same right as he did to be there - goes away and it becomes apparent that this could last quite some time, I WILL ask the owners to take it away - which they did, perfectly politely.

I think people who act that courteously when asked to stop are the ones most likely to get tarot into the "acceptable" field. How many of us find bible thumpers acceptable ? But by the arguments put forward here, they have as much right to do that as we do to read where people are uncomfortable about it.

Equal rights means equal rights for everyone, as Welf effectively says - not just those we agree with.

Welf

gregory:
I think people who act that courteously when asked to stop are the ones most likely to get tarot into the "acceptable" field. How many of us find bible thumpers acceptable ? But by the arguments put forward here, they have as much right to do that as we do to read where people are uncomfortable about it.
That's quite a point you bring up here.. Some object to bible thumpers and the like. Yet seem to think that their asserting their right to do a Tarot Reading out aloud for others to overhear, be those others not wanting to be subjected to that, in a public or private place, (like a coffee shop), is somehow in a different catogory...

Welf

gregory

Welf said:
That's quite a point you bring up here.. Some object to bible thumpers and the like. Yet seem to think that their asserting their right to do a Tarot Reading out aloud for others to overhear, be those others not wanting to be subjected to that, in a public or private place, (like a coffee shop), is somehow in a different catogory...

Welf
Someone has finally heard me !!! Thanks, Welf ! :love:

214red

Sulis said:
I'm not treating this question as a question about a real phobia as I think 'tarotphobia' is some term you've made up.

What I will say is that if someone isn't into tarot or who is afraid of tarot I'd leave them to their beliefs; as gregory has said, it isn't my problem.
Tarot is one of those things that many people will always be wary of or even think is ridiculous... That's up to them.
yes i didnt mean it as a ligitimate phobia, more the fact they are afraid