The Bohemian Gothic Tarot

Nevermore

baba-prague said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Sargasso_Sea

It's a stunning book - it will haunt you for years though, be warned.
Finally! A book you guys talk about that I've actually read!
I really really really recommend it, even if you haven't read Jane Eyre.
In fact maybe you should read it BEFORE you read Jane Eyre.
I didn't read JE before reading WSS and haven't picked up JE since I read WSS, but saw a JE movie years back and long knew a vague plotline.
Wide Sargasso sea is wonderful.

pippi

baba-prague said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Sargasso_Sea

It's a stunning book - it will haunt you for years though, be warned.

Thank you for this suggestion! I am reading Jane Eyre for the first time ever right now and loving it. Don't know why I've never read it yet, as Wuthering Heights is my favorite book of all time! Now I have another to look forward to (WSS) after Jane Eyre.

Trying to get myself into just the right mood for this deck when it arrives!! :) I'm loving all the literature suggestions this thread/deck has inspired, opening me up to new titles I've never heard of...how wonderful!

Scion

Wide Sargasso Sea is a book that changes you.

In fact, many of the books that have been mentioned over the course of this thread are lifechangers. One of the most exciting things about this deck is how "open" it is narratively. Where the line between Carmilla and Christine Daae and Miss Jessup may shift when you're reading because the images are evocative rather than hard-n-fast depiction.

Best thing: most of these classics are available free online or for a pittance as used books because of current literary tastes. And any of them will make this deck yield greater gifts. :thumbsup: How's that for an incentive?

:)

Tomsde

I've never heard of the Wide Sargasso Sea, I'll have to look into it--I loved Jane Erye.

Speaking of Victorian Authors I also like Charles Dickens.

raventepes

It's been a little while since I've had a chance to catch up on this thread, but I was wondering if there's a release date yet.

Master_Margarita

Skydancer said:
Okay - thanks to you and Scion my husband has now spent $6. on a collected work of Rhys of which "... Sargasso Sea" is one. Now -- tell me what's so great about this story?

Ahh. It's the shifting point of view. It's the "prequel," if you will, to Jane Eyre, told from the perspective of the first Mrs. Rochester.

I've never been able to look at JE the same way since.

M_M~

Nevermore

Yeah and without spoiling the book I'll say it's going to make you side with Bertha Mason.

Skydancer

Yes ---- that's what I'm hoping for! A nice back-story!

*S*

(saw a nice movie version of JE - so country and peaceful and all. And she so strong and well spoken. Lovely story, 'ceptin' for the Master's accident, of course.)

[edited because I didn't say what I really meant. not an unusual occurance.]

firefrost

Master_Margarita said:
I've never been able to look at JE the same way since.

M_M~

Having been a lifelong fan of Jane Eyre, that's what I'm worried about. I want to read it but I don't want Jane Eyre to be spoiled for me...oh, heck...!