The Book of the Law Study Group 2.44

Always Wondering

This brings up a question I have thought too hard on.

As I understand it (maybe) Nu is related to Nothing as in 0=2, and in a small way I can deal with nothing as the absence of anything. So where does ecstacy fit in No thing?
Dissolution implies we go back to 0. We aren't 2 anymore. Is this verse saying then, that Nothing is really something?

I did try to make this clear, but like I said, I thought of it too hard again. :|

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Is this verse saying then, that Nothing is really something?
No. Separate "things" are inherently dualistic. Me and that which is not-Me.

But if the dualistic boundaries between Me and not-Me were to dissolve in a Tower-like experience, then the result is non-dual. In that state separate "things" cease to exist as such. There is only No-thing.

(Reading Liber ABA Part 1. Dhyana and Samadhi chapters might help here.)

Mystical and magical practices are ways to reach this non-dual state. Sexual climax also gives us a brief glimpse of non-duality. For a short moment the walls of the Tower of self dissolve and the result is ecstacy.

But what has all this got to do with death? It might be helpful to reflect on the French metaphor for orgasm, la petite mort -the little death. If sexual climax is the little death, then how good is the real thing going to be? ;)

The mystic magician doesn't want to wait until physical death occurs. He/she sets out to obtain this "liberation" during life.

Aeon418

This verse is the exact opposite of the Christian sentiment that would have us deny this life in favour of the "life to come". To enforce conformity with this doctrine there are the usual threats of eternal punishment. And if you are really unlucky you get your toys taken away, are sent to bed without any supper, and get no pocket money for a month. :( Yes..... it's all very parental.

But Thelema teaches that life is to be experienced and enjoyed to the full. It's not a dress rehearsal for another life.

Always Wondering

Thank you.
Maybe I am just trying to get my head around eternal ectasy. :laugh:

I do note some resistance though. Some doubt that I can have "certainty" instead of "faith."

I guess it is more of a matter of practice and experience.

I will read Liber ABA.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Maybe I am just trying to get my head around eternal ectasy. :laugh:
Thinking of eternal anything is hard. But that's usually because we try to envision it in terms of dualistic time. We try to imagine something that carries on forever in time. But time is part and parcel of our dualistic experience. In the non-dual state time does not exist. That's partly why mystics who have experienced this state, and try to explain it in dualistic language, end up talking a complete load of crap. :laugh:

(No time - Non-dual) <--- 0 = 2 ---> (Time - duality)
Always Wondering said:
I do note some resistance though. Some doubt that I can have "certainty" instead of "faith."

I guess it is more of a matter of practice and experience.
Try re-reading Chapter 3 of Gunther's book, p.89 onwards. ;)

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Try re-reading Chapter 3 of Gunther's book, p.89 onwards. ;)

I'm looking for it. :rolleyes:

It's in one of my stacks here. I need another bookcase and it's sort of your fault. :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

Atu XVIII The Moon

Initiation in the Aeon of the Child, p.90
The best way to succeed in this endeavor is to embrace the practice of Vairagya, which essentially means "non-attachment" or "indifference." One must develop a complete indifference to the work, yet never wavering from continued practice. Any type of desire must be put aside. It must not matter whether you succeed or not; it must be of no consequence. Should you remain a Neophyte for the rest of your life, it must make no difference. Work without lust for result. If the practice drives you mad, then you will just have to go mad, but the practice will continue in the asylum. If the Devil himself tells you that God wants to speak to you face to face, you must shrug it off and tell him you're not interested, you have a practice to do. And if that damns you to hell for eternity, then you must be willing to go to hell without giving a damn yourself. This cannot be feigned indifference, for that would only be putting a top hat on a pig. It must be real indifference, and only continued effort will achieve it. Then, when the veil does finally lift, the dark cloud is seen to have been an illusion all the while; Khephra will have born you through Midnight to the Dawn.

Always Wondering

Thank-you. I found it.
It was lost, along with me, in a house of mirrors. :laugh:
I had let myself get distracted. :|
Darn all lovely and distracting men.
:laugh: :|

AW

ravenest

Always Wondering said:
. So where does ecstacy fit in No thing?

No thing = no separation between 'self' and 'not-self' or no 'distractions'. No 'distractions' = awareness of the 'original' state of BE - ing, this = pure 'existence', pure existence is joy, or joy is pure existence, which is pretty much like ecstacy. ?