The Fearful Client..

DarkElectric

Umbrae makes excellent points, as always.

One of these, with which I wholeheartedly agree, is that deck choice is important. Clients will respond more positively to a deck they like, as opposed to one which has images they find subtly (or not so subtly) disturbing.
I've always had excellent results with the lovely Gilded Tarot. My clients love it. And I also use the Connolly on the truly terrified. I discovered that early on. It's especially good to use with clients who are concerned that a reading is something that their religion would censure. Eileen Connolly is a Celtic Christian, and the Christian imagery in the deck can be reassuring to people who are concerned about faith based conflicts.

Also, many times clients come to us with preconceived notions of what the reading experience is "all about" based on either past experience from other readers ( this can be bad, good, or indifferent, depending on who they saw) or if total newbies, many times their impressions are formed by the media. And the job of the media is to sensationalise and entertain, so a skewed perspective is definitely possible.

Anyway, when I meet a fearful client, the first thing I do is talk to them honestly, ask why they're afraid, of what, and what are they expecting? More times than I care to recount I'll get a horror story about one of those SHUCKSTERS, you know, the ones who initially charge $10. for a reading, and then, all of a sudden..."You have a black aura. I see a HORRIBLE curse surrounding you. For $500. I can remove this curse, with my special bla, bla, bla,(insert mojo here,) but it might not work the first time if it's stubborn. We'll need to redo it in that case..." And people fall for it.

I had one woman burst out in tears when she begged me to tell her if her "black aura" meant she was going to die, or have bad luck forever. Of course, there was no black aura, and she was infinitely relieved when I assured her of that.

Yes, this ever so popular scam is perpetuated in every state in America. Not that every fearful client has had an "experience" with one of these people, but word gets around. My advice is not to rule out that the client has either met, or heard of someone like this, and it colours their judgment concerning readings.

Yes, these shucksters and con artists are one of MY pet peeves, because I hate people victimising the innocent, and their thieving tactics cast aspersions on the rest of us. AND the bad press these people generate many times causes unnecessary fear in clients, as I've seen in the field.

214red

Master_Margarita said:
How does one teach how to relate to a sitter?

I think I have some idea how to relate to a sitter from advising people in another context, but I wouldnt' presume to teach, and I'd be interested in your teachings (of course, I think you've laid it all out in some of your other threads...)

:heart: M_M~
I think often it comes naturually though your previous work, for me it has as i have always worked in customer facing roles, and rapport is paramount, so is conflict resolution

Amanda

To the OP- could you do something a little more interactive with the fearful sitter? Let them choose the deck, etc. I know one of the best readings I ever had I barely had to say a word, and the woman incorporated every skill she had to talk about me. She recorded the session and sent me on my way with it.

Master_Margarita: I think rapport is a tool of communication...? That would just be my opinion though. Communication would also be a tool of rapport...?

I know that the jobs that I've held required a great deal of communication, and a bit of rapport.

In college, I took an interpersonal communications class, and active listening was also a tool of communication. I think for tarot readers, this is probably a key thing in building rapport and calming fears.

Baroli

Umbrae said:
Good communication skills build rapport - a level of communication where understanding, fellowship, concord, trust, and empathy abound.

A poor reader will actually block the sitter from moving away from their fears, by imposing ego valued bias’ upon the client, attempting to create a dependence upon them (said reader). When readers twist the words of others – they may serve to reinforce the fears, and reduce the sitters ability to choose other readers, an act of evil has occurred.

Umbrae, you make relavent points about rapport and no this stuff isn't taught,...unless you are in a customer service situation or perhaps like I was with management training, training manager-hopfuls about customer service.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, a calming voice, sometimes even a touch brings a lot to calm a client. Same stuff I used calming an irrate customer in food service. (Well, maybe not touch, but the soft voice certainly worked). Also by giving the customer what they wanted, I gained their trust and thus a rapport was built.*

ETA: *That is referring to a gallon of milk to replace the sour one they bought. I am not saying that we should give a client another reading in exchange for the original because they either didn't like the original or are afraid of what the interpretation is.

satinangel

Moderator Note

Off topic and deleted posts have been removed from this thread. Please stay on the original topic of "The Fearful Client..."

Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

SatinAngel
Moderator, Professional Forum