The Four Worlds/The Four Suits - the Order

ravenest

I'm sorry but I don’t really see anything particularly different about this. It’s just the 'four world' or the 'system of four' principle.

Ok, I have your attention...

The Four Worlds comes from Zoharic sources, they mean the subtle formations of matter in gradual process. In the highest Atzulit the Sefirot (Centers of principles) are created, then in Briah the Letters are Created, then in Yetzeriah the Angels created finally in Assiah the Physical world is created. The four worlds are subtle realms of potential power and creative impulses.

This four system is not particular to the Kabbalah or the Zohar, it is a basic principle of nature. The Kabbalah and Zohar use their terminology to explain it. Just because a 'culture' explains this principle in its own terms does not mean the concept 'comes from Zoharic forces' - I will grant you that the Zoharic FORM of expression comes from Zoharic sources but that is a little self-evident isn’t it? Centre of principle = archetypal pattern / DNA code or whatever analogy one chooses, thought form/angel, creative process/letter.

The magazine article I posted a link to earlier in this thread displays many ,manifestations of this principle; 4 colour theory, 4 forces of physics, 4 principles of Aikido, 4 male archetypes, 4 psychological drives, four genetic bases (GACT), the four worlds of the Kabbalah and so on ... they are not just things that there are four of ... they function and interact in a specific 'elemental' order akin to fire, water, air, earth. That’s why in balanced systems of four it is best to be in that order. In systems of three (like the three Gunas) they often have the fourth as a pendant ... doing this with the elements (i.e.) seeing earth as containing the first three and depicting them 'alone' we have the triangle I explained previously with 'air' 'first'.

Sorry, no one owns this theory ... only their cultural terms that describe it. I will grant you though most here may have come to it via 'Kabbalah'. My Koori friends (indigenous Australians) know all about it and utilise it every day and they have never heard of Kabbalah.

This is similar to quantum physics "Plank" and "Superstring" there is an infinite source of all that is , which is called Keter, or One.

There is a vast amount of M theory that seems to coincide with Kabbalistic theory and that is because of what I outlined above. They are both describing, in their own cultural terms, a process in 'nature'. When M theory and Kabbalah is followed through properly we find the source is not one but none.

That One makes itself known in other worlds, First Letter, First Angel, First Rock, First Plant, First Animal, and First Human. These subtle realms of potential power are the place that the magi pull from for the "great work" .

That is a very strong principle outside Kabbalah as well. Especially with the indigenous here and all over the place, the oldest rock .... the first ancestor, the first form of the cave painting of an animal, that generates out from it all the physical animals. It’s all connected ... its nature ... no one expression owns it or has the secrets of its functioning, to the observant it is self-evident.
The great work is the "graal" or the "alchemy" . All this means is that there are non-physical realms of possible power and origin that we are not familiar with and then when we focus upon them we are endowed with our "source" . Its basically a form of meditation back to a "mindless mind" that will promote spiritual growth "filling of the chalice".

Its not that easy to talk about things that are not easy to talk about, but if you realize that the four worlds are demarcations of source, downsizing itself to a portion that can be contained, then you as the vessel can begin the work of heating the flame (initiation) and in that initiation you are able to start the great work.

I agree with you but still, I fail to see that this is very different or secret from the other ways of looking at it. A physicist will be changed in consciousness by looking into matter and apparently ‘matter’ will change by having the physicist observe it.
And the reason its obscure is because
1. In order to reveal more you would have to be protected from dark forces that will "try and possess you by using your obsessions for vitality" you can’t just jump into this work

2. We are using words to try and understand that which created words and language. So yeah a little awkward to just say NOTHING CREATED NOTHING AND NOTHING WAS CREATED,THEREFORE NOTHING EXISTS SO THIS MEANS NOTHING

And also we use non-verbal communication to explain non-verbal concepts, symbolic language, or sub-text if you like ... even visual sub-text is better. We are dealing with the unconscious, hence we find the 'language' of myth, the visual and whole experience of ritual drama, storytelling, enactment, dance, initiation, ceremonies both stark and pompous, initiations alone and abandoned and in community.

GnosticTarotCards

(message deleted for wackyness)

ravenest

I.e., it is not safe to divulge to us any other than an obscure explanation. We have not advanced high enough in the secret degrees of a secret rite in French Masonry. Besides, as Jesus said, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." [Matthew 7:6] We are just not worthy. We might inadvertently help the "dark forces" and harm ourselves in the process.

Actually that is a basic principle in a lot of the systems. The everyday consciousness that we function in must 'seal up' certain forces, otherwise we go 'mad'. We need to shut down a bit to focus on the essential or things of immediate interest.

Mystics such as Steiner and Swedenborg postulated on the validity of revealing this to their students as certain 'destructive forces' could be activated if attention is given to them but thought that, for the' student initiate' fore-warned is fore- armed.

Wilson van Dusen did similar work on the academic clinical level. I used all above sources in an article I posted here somewhere called 'Magical Madness'. (I don’t have access to spiritually forum anymore - I think it is in there.)

The guardians or watchers at the threshold ... that’s a variant similar concept. Its quiet a well-known concept throughout the occult.

It is one of the valid reasons we have secrets. ... One of them ... there are others ... as you suggest ;)

But I CAN assure you, I have seen people go nuts (and people do go nuts all the time due to this ... what do you think MPD is after all ?) by being exposed to things they were not ready for, but that is because of an inherent fault ( a clinical psychosis), a lack of development (child abuse) or a 'criminal' act … anything that disturbs the equilibrium.
This is why magical (and other) groups advocate the LBRP as first work; a purification rite - baptism or other type of lustration (water or blood), Abramelin with the endless prayers and purifications before the goetic and other systems which set out the whole psyche and its forces and how to regulate them in the map of their organisation( e.g. see ‘The Constitution of the OTO.’ ) OR a system like Exo-psychology.

GnosticTarotCards

Ravenest! that was astute.. even though you postulated practices that are GD you did a fine job. the personality is weak when not anchored to very advanced spiritual beings. i think the question of the four worlds inherently hints at this root of subtle planes

it is not good to try experiments in ritual that take lots of background teaching. in the hermetic priesthood initiates have to listen to lots and lots of theoria till they even experience initiation. because the moment the other worlds are approached, the other beings have a vested interest in your delusion and torment! black adepts since the days of atlantis have disincarnated only to sap energy from those who are unable to protect themselves. usually we are blind to their pull, but when you practice THEURGY you open up...

your on their turf then!

its easy to say things and examine them to ad nauseam, but what do you do with your "knowledge" this is the real point. i can blab terms and lots of words but that does nothing. initiatic science is special because of its inner structures, its this factual basis your work is done. like i said it takes years of study and certain affinities created before the initiand is ready. you cant possibly understand that which hasnt been revealed yet, thats the ionian initiation which is the actual thing done, your area of expertise is dorian, meaning THEORY the language of the mysteries are not shared with the masses

to do so is disasterous and foolish, i cant tell you what to do because its not permitted but i will talk about ehat happens any time

ravenest

Okay . :)

2 issues:

1). Question on alternate tree:

The Complete Magicians Tables (by Skinner) aren’t complete – with that link, but the rest of it is interesting.

Which leads me back to the Sun Pisces thing.

Skinner sayrs; “ … If this ancient Planetary order is accepted, then the attribution of 7 of the Tarot Trumps to the Paths changes … the connection between each Tarot Trump and its Planet is however not affected …” and

“ Mathers’ clever attributions of the tarot Trumps to the astrological Zodiac, Elements and Planets (as shown in the Golden Dawn Cipher manuscript) still holds good.”

Still curious about the Sun Pisces thing?

GnosticTarotCards

The Sun Card does attribute to Pisces. Pisces represents repolarization , this is where we have been historically , switching to a helio centric view of the planetary bodies, also in alchemy the "gold" sun is a place of complete integration, repolarizing the polar ... and lastly in yhe card you love so much RWS the children are non genderly joined

GnosticTarotCards

the card the sun doesnt mean our astrological sun, its the philosophical one

Rosanne

I'm sorry but I don’t really see anything particularly different about this. It’s just the 'four world' or the 'system of four' principle.

Hehehe...I laugh while I agree. The cross pollination of the Orchard? Me, I like apples!
Nashi apple/pears have me flumoxed, mind you.
I do not post in these Jewish mysticism forums much...but somewhere along this path The question was asked "The order of the four worlds" in relation to Tarot suits.
Traditionally it is said Azilut is the element of Fire, Beriah is Air, Yezirah is Water and Asiyyah is Earth and can be explained by the usual understandable words of Calling-Creating-Forming-Making. A process that made me and my cup of coffee and my computer. Hence I am here, with my coffee and my computer.

Now as I understand Tarot, it is a series of visual metaphors, with visual explanations.
It seems somewhat forced to assign the Worlds to the Suits.
For me, I like the parallel way of Understanding (for Tarot). There are four ways to understand visually the Ladder within Tarot I figure. (All Kabbalah really) for types of stages. Literal meaning (Coins) Allegorical (Cups) Metaphorical (Swords) and Esoteric (Wands). Or the Four winds. Or the Humors. Or the four Stars that hold Dome of the Sky-The guardians.... That is whether one follows the Golden Dawn or any other modern tradition.
If I was forced to- I find Swords as Fire not nearly as understandable as Wands as Fire.
Now if I was to believe that Swords were Azilut- I would be a little like Einstein? who answered he would like to know if God was Kindly. The first process called 'Calling' would seem to me Kindly- so Wands.
~Rosanne

GnosticTarotCards

atzulit is air, briyah fire, yetzeriah water & assiah coins :)