The High Priestess and the Orientation of the Temple

le pendu

What pillars?

;)

(great thread folks)

jmd

great post, le pendu ;)

Historically, of course this card has no depicted pillars - though the Justice card perhaps can be seen as having them (I say 'perhaps', for though they are definitely there on, for example, the Conver Marseille, it is doubtful whether or not they are on the Dodal).

With the pillars on Justice, of course, further connections may be made with Solomon... but that's another story in the making!

Umbrae

jmd said:
The orientation of the two pillars relative the Temple and its 'left vs right' problem is something that at various times is also discussed and argued about within Masonic circles. Personally, I tend to entirely agree that the depiction is egressed: one can even see the outside depicted of sorts on the depiction by Pamela Colman-Smith. In contrast, the depiction by Wirth, for example, appears within a temple, with mosaic pavement adding to the overall sense for this.
[…]
The 'problem' with the text, however, is that these are not (as far as I am aware) referred to as being placed in north and south, but rather erected on the right and left-hand of the portico.
Depends on the Bible version, many older translations use Boaz to the left and Jachin to the right.
The solution to transferring left-north and right-south is as follows:
firemaiden said:
“Now in The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible, volume 3, page whatever we learn that the Hebrews, like most Semitic peoples, oriented themselves by facing east, toward the rising sun. So you'll find that some versions of the Bible, they'll tell you that Boaz was to the left, and Jachin was to the right, this is correct; in this orientation left is North and right is South."

:smoker:

firecatpickles

Torah scrolls are housed on the east wall of temple. HPS holds Torah scrolls.

Soo,

"Boaz was to the left , and Jachin was to the right [N]."

Sophie

Rosanne, I'm touched that my rambling thoughts should inspire you! :|

I wish I could draw and paint as well as you. I love that Temple - it is very eloquent.

wayseer

Dispite much archaeological work over many years no a hint of KST has ever been found - which has'nt stopped the odd fraud.

The one at Jersulem, so-named the Second Temple, was rebuilt by King Herod starting about 19 BC from an earlier building dating from 513 BC which the Romans destroyed around 70 AD leaving the Western Wall.

The whole point of the card, the connection with wisdom and the pillars which stood at the porch is that there is no temple other than you.

jmd

and so with that post we move from the Old Testament, to the New with 1 Corinthians 6:19.

wayseer

and 2 Corinthians 6 -16 ...

Rosanne

Thanks jmd for the explanation that never occured to me; sorry for being overly sensitive. Hehe, funny how things are never Black and White.
I sit on the side of this theoretical debate as the pillars when they existed stand left and right of the Eastern door. It makes them North and South then. So I think PCS put the Lady Ba'alat outside on the porch with the door within behind her and the veil. It is interesting that oneday I will leave my temple and my inner life will pierce the Veil and my 'soul' will brush past Boaz on its left and Jachim on its right. If it is just a near death experience my energy will stop and turn around and Boaz will be on my right, and I will definitely need strength at my right hand to return; I am left handed so it takes some thinking lol
I get my biblical reasoning from 1Kings Chapter 7.

Umbrae

kilts_knave said:
Torah scrolls are housed on the east wall of temple. HPS holds Torah scrolls.

Soo,

"Boaz was to the left , and Jachin was to the right [N]."
Don't you mean to say that now, Torah scrolls are are house on the east wall of a Synagogue? There is no current temple. which is why in orthodox homes a portion of an east wall is unrepaired, a Synagogue is a symbol of the uncompletenss of the Jewish religeon - and they are constructed to face Jerusalem - however there IS NO temple (since the destruction of the second Temple). The syllogism is fallacious.

A Synagogue is not the Temple.

Historically, Boaz was to the north, and Jachin to the south. Please refer to the source material (all of which is included above).

Futher FYI: If you really want a deck that has the High Priestess depected on the outside of the temple, The Sheridan Douglas is the only one available.

Further Further FYI. FM and I never touched on the water behind the HP...if one continues to consult the source material for the WCS deck, we find that a rather large bronze 'sea' was placed outside the temple slightly south of the door...it was used for ritual cleasing before entering. Thus - the image is depected as being from within the temple looking out.

:smoker: