The Mary-El Tarot: A whole new level of Tarot?

Zezina

I've now had an opportunity to look very closely at several of the cards in The Mary-El Tarot, and to read what Marie White has written about them in her very well-researched accompanying book 'Landscapes of the abyss'.

Marie's artwork for each of these cards is talented and sure, her images fearlessly original and the presentation of her deck by Schiffer is unsurpassed.

In her writing Marie's learned understanding of Tarot, her in-depth research and her keen observation shines.

With The Mary-El Tarot, Marie has taken Tarot to a provocatively significant and, I believe, enduring new level.

*Z*

RunningWild

I'm not quite halfway through the book yet and I'm sure I'll have to reread it a few times to fully understand some of the things she's said. I just finished posting in the study group about how the artwork produces, in me, a very primitive emotional response.

I do think this deck will stand the test of time. The artwork alone is compelling and then to add all the references is ..well..wow. I just don't seem to be able to articulate it all that well :laugh:

It's what separates Great Art from the Dogs Playing Poker genre (simply an illustration and no offense meant to those with THAT hanging on their walls)(sorta). It has depth of meaning stacked on more depth of meaning.

Astraea

For those who have had the opportunity to work with the deck/book...do the cards read well intuitively, or is the book essential to understanding their message? Either way is fine with me, I'm just wondering. Amazon will finally be shipping mine next week.

RunningWild

For those who have had the opportunity to work with the deck/book...do the cards read well intuitively, or is the book essential to understanding their message? Either way is fine with me, I'm just wondering. Amazon will finally be shipping mine next week.

I'm one who reads the book first and I think in this case it would definitely help unless you're someone who has a strong knowledge of that particular symbolism. After that, it's intuitive all the way IMO. The colors are bold, strong, emotional. Some things are more obvious than others. All in all, this deck does not disappoint me.

Astraea

Thank you, RunningWild, that is very helpful.

AJ

unless you're someone who has a strong knowledge of that particular symbolism. .

could you explain this a little more in depth for those of us with dogs playing cards on our wall? Thanks

RunningWild

could you explain this a little more in depth for those of us with dogs playing cards on our wall? Thanks

:laugh: Gladly.

Marie drew from several different mythologies (Norse, Egyptian, Sumerian and others), she refers to Qabalistic concepts (the Abyss, the use of the root meanings of the Hebrew alphabet), numerology, Sacred Geometry (if I understand cards right like XV The Devil).

Beauty may be in the eyes of the beholder but how many wouldn't rather spend time looking at one of Salvador Dali's paintings or the sculptures of Auguste Rodin because everytime one sees them there's some new detail to ponder?

Hope that helps.

vee

:laugh: AJ.

I adore the Mary El. It's beautiful and deep and has what so many new decks seem to lack: real time behind them. I won't insult any deck creators by saying their decks don't have depth, but in the Mary El you can really see the layers in the cards, how they grew and evolved from a long meditation instead of a marathon. It may end up being one of my favorite and primary decks.

However, I don't think it takes tarot to a whole new level. It combines systems and sees things in new lights, but I'm not convinced that it is anything but derivative. And when I say derivative, I *do not* mean that as a bad thing. It's a continuation of an old tradition, not an entirely new branch. None of that is a slight on it.

Minotauro

it is beautifull and deep , but saying its a whole new level is a bit too much , as great as her research is , it would be hard to top the decades of added studies of the thoth and rider waite , not the mention the collective knowledge of the golden dawn. and the centuries of the marseilles not to mention the countless ways it can be read.

in the art and symbolism , it is probably better than the RWS , but the thoth also has sacred geometry , several mythologies , and all that.

we should make a diferentiation between new system and new level.

Zezina

we should make a diferentiation between new system and new level.

You're right, Minotauro, I should have referred to Mary-El Tarot as a new system, rather than a new level.

*Z*