Decks for reading for college students?

greatdane

I am expanding my readings a bit and will likely get some college students. I don't want to go really themed decks, and definitely nothing too dark or with overt nudity. Just something that maybe has a younger vibe, but fairly generic, easy to read, easy on the eyes. Was thinking the Fenestra. Wouldn't be one I would necessarily choose just for me, although I know I will be able to read just fine with it for others. It does seem to have a soft, yet young vibe and didn't see it as offending anyone. Thanks for any other suggestions!

I figure there must be a lot of readers here who have quite a few college age students as querents or kids that age, would love to know what they like (more concerned about what the girls prefer as I doubt I would get many males wanting a reading in this small town!).

Stam123

Kids a bit younger than college age like the shadow and light oracle deck or shapeshifter oracle deck by by Lucy Cavendish
Artwork by Jasmine Becket-Griffith

I guess everyone is different and taking into account college age and the sort of college students your aiming at art students would be very different from say your sport science if the deck is to meh so to speak would they take it as seriously from a traditional deck?

thats a hard question or good old RW as a fail safety. the revelations/ gilded / robin wood tarot has a young feel to it.

otherwise for teenagers the deviant moon / zombie tarot or joie de vivre are really cool

greatdane

Thanks Stam123

I'm sure for some groups, Deviant Moon, Robin Wood, Zombie would be great. But I am trying to avoid really themed or dark decks and the Robin Wood has some pretty overt nudity and this is a fairly conservative small midwest town. I have the PCS Commemorative and Universal Waite, the Aquarian, the Anna. K, all of which I would normally use. Was just looking for a couple of decks that might give the college age set something a bit younger, more modern. The students I would more likely read for wouldn't be the sports set, but art/psychology/philosophy majors. Those are the students I would be more familiar with. I don't really read for people younger than college age, and likely would rarely read for a college age man, so mostly say, 18-20 something women are the deck choices I'm going for. Joie de Vivre is one I hadn't thought of, and THAT one would be good for the market I'm looking at, so THANKS! Excellent suggestion!

Carla

What about Cosmic Tarot? It has a sort of 80s retro thing going, but I don't know. I think it's kinda groovy. (Or should I say awesome?)

greatdane

Some really interesting pix.
Now, as someone who is long past uni age, I'm not sure if it would appeal to me more or the 20 somethings in this area! But then decks are so subjective. I think this deck may be a tad confusing for those querents very new to tarot, already a tad leery, who like to see the pix and have them explained to them. Tarot reading isn't exactly huge here and is kind of under wraps. You wouldn't see a tarot shop around here :). So trying to keep it simple, yet have a few decks aimed at a younger market (although I know there are very young readers who like older decks and really modern decks that appeal to older readers).

Wynter_Wytch

I admit to being a big fan of Ciro Marchetti's, so take this recommendation with a grain of salt. I'd probably go with the original gilded tarot for 3 major reasons.

1) It's a CG created artwork deck, which I think college-aged kids resonate with.
2) It's a good, solid Rider Waite clone. Any of the RW books can be adapted to this deck, and once they can use this deck, any RW deck is readable.
3) It's cheap. I've seen them on ebay as a kit with the Ellershaw book (Easy Tarot Kit) for $10 to $15 new, shipping included. I know as a college student that I counted every penny.

Hope this helps.

Wynter WYtch

GryffinSong

Speaking as someone who graduated with a fine arts degree, minor in philosophy, and almost a minor in psych, I think those tend to be the more liberal and open-minded of a group of people. Even in a conservative town, these are likely to be creative, curious, and relatively progressive people. I would not go cutesy. I agree that you shouldn't do a strong theme unless you bring a variety and let them choose. Your Anna K might be a good choice.

La Force

The Steampunk tarot by Barbara Moore

Is very fitting for college/university students, this IMO would be very well suited for what your looking for. based RW. The imagery very appealing to the younger generation.

greatdane

Thanks Wynter_Wytch, GriffinSong and La Force

Thanks, Wynter_Wytch, while Ciro's work hasn't been a reader for me personally, I do think the art is stunning and would likely appeal to the demographic I've thinking of.
Ah GryffinSong, my kind of peeps ! :) Psych major, took philosophy and religion classes, love art, and while anyone can be open-minded no matter their major, I do find the group you're speaking of....more receptive...on a whole. I have a friend who is an Art Therapy psychology major and she would be a good example of the young peeps I'm thinking of. So true, even in a conservative town there are the more progressive, open people. But in a very small town, they tend to stay a tad undercover, especially since this is part of the Bible Belt, albeit more the fringes. But those of us less conservative tend to find each other like radar :))).
La Force, the Steampunk looks like it could be one of a few decks I have thinking more in line with younger readers. Again, I know any age can love any deck, but I wanted a minimal sampling of some styles a little different from what I already have. So that could do well.
THANKS ALL FOR YoUR COMMENTS AND ADVICE! IT WAS VERY HELPFUL! :)))

Carla

Well, remembering my own pretentious fine arts major self (with minor in psychology and brief flirtation with philosophy), I think a deck packed with esoterica would go down well. How about Tarot of the Holy Light or Mary El. (Although they might be too dark and nude :) )