Decks for reading for college students?

ann823

I was an art major (studio) but took a lot of art history as well-maybe something like Kat Blacks Golden? I work with high schoolers and like all of us they are a varied bunch and I think different decks would apeal to different students...the Steampunk did sound good though.

RunningWild

I think I saw you mention that you have the Anna K. Why not use that deck? There's nothing in it that would embarrass anyone.

greatdane

Thanks for the suggestions!

RunningWild (love your AT name :), I will be taking my Anna. K, that's a staple for me. Just wanted to expand a tiny bit with another deck or two that uni students might like.
And you're so right, nothing in the Anna. K that I would think could offend anyone. I try to use decks that aren't too cutesy, themed or too dark or sexualized. Strange as that sounds, that can be hard with some of the new decks coming out.
Thanks Ann823, the Golden does sound like a cool choice! It's old, yet modern to my thinking. I go back and forth with the Steampunk. I think partly because it's so themed, like this is the new "black" :), if that makes sense. Sometimes I have to put my personal reading preference for my own readings aside and think ok, what would someone else like.
Oh you are trying to get me in trouble, Carla! LOL I have a friend who has the Mary El and I have seen it in the, well, flesh if you'll excuse the pun. Actually I thought the artwork was brilliant and although not a reader for me personally, could I use it for others? yes. Would it likely go over well with who I'm thinking of reading for? Probbbbably not so much. But wow, what an intense, unique and well done deck.

moon

How about the Dreaming Way?

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

prudence

The Magical Forest would probably be appealing to your querents, though it may feel too theme-y for you.... to me it's sort of a generic theme, if it is a theme. It's just bugeyed animals instead of humans. Cute, nonthreatening and no nudity.

lilangel09

I am college age, and I like the Lunatic Tarot (but I am strange)... I also hate CG decks, so no Guilded for me.

I think you can't really go wrong with many decks for this age group because they are quite diverse. Basically, you can use any deck you would with an older age group with this group.

greatdane

HI lilangel, Prudence and moon!

Ah, Dreaming Way is an excellent suggestion, Moon! Thanks! Prudence, that's why I'm going for, a deck for readers who may be first timers and/or a little anxious. Lilangel, I appreciate your input! I don't think you're strange at all for liking the Lunatic :)! And yes, you are so correct, age doesn't really mean which deck someone will like. I just wanted a little more diversity in decks and thought a bit more modern might fit in well with my readings to give querents more of a choice. So I wanted something in a little different style to some I already have.
I have kept my deck collection very small because when I read for myself I am happy with just a few. But it is exciting to branch out a little when reading for someone else. What I like for my own readings doesn't mean I necessarily have to use for someone else. So many people, of all ages, are so visual and have such different tastes.

GryffinSong

You know, if this were a "normal" college, rather than in the bible belt, I'd think of the new Darkana. Remember that college aged folks are not kids. They're young adults full of confidence and new-found freedom. I think they might be sensitive to being "talked down to" with a "too cute" deck. That's how Magical Forest strikes me.

LotusSong

I think you can't really go wrong with many decks for this age group because they are quite diverse. Basically, you can use any deck you would with an older age group with this group.

^^^
As a 20-something college student, This. It would be best if you had a small selection of decks for your sitters to choose from (3 - 5), including something more soft and something darker. (That way those who need something gentle can have it, and us morbid goths can have something too!)

greatdane

I agree GriffinSong and LotusSong

Part of my choices don't really have to do so much with the age, but the area. If I still lived in Los Angeles or even Phoenix or even a bigger city, my choices would likely be a bit different. I do agree that age doesn't decide on what someone will choose any more than gender or any other factors, all people are different and look for different things. The characteristics I am staying with, partly because I have no desire for a big collection and partly because these should work for anyone, are decks that aren't too themed, too cute, have a lot of nudity or are too dark. The PCS Commemorative, which is my favorite version of the classic RWS, the Anna. K, the Aquarian will likely stay my staples, and one or two more that will bring something a little different to the table, no pun intended. It's the one or two others I am pondering and am thrilled for all the suggestions. While age isn't necessarily a factor, different opinions are. So this has been sort of like my little unofficial poll :)). Lots of great ideas here.