The Mona Lisa Tarot

Tomsde

I've recently become aware of a new deck that has yet to be released called the Mona Lisa Tarot. I believe it is by the same artist that did the Tarot of the Elves. This looks like it will a pretty deck, but I don't get the Mona Lisa Connection--anyone know anything about this deck--what the premise is? It has pictures of Mona Lisa walking around doing stuff. I might want to add this one to my collection.

gregory

Look on alida for a few scans. And there are a few pix in the LS catalogue which has a link on the forum somewhere.... as I recall.... Mona does feature on several cards, as far as I can see from scans.

alida already has it in stock. €18. Their site says:

Who was Mona Lisa and what mystery hides behind her smile? For lovers of enigmas, each of these cards suggests a clue to discover a personality who, in turn, is part of the collective imagination.
For connoisseurs of divination this deck offers all of the potential of contemporary Tarots, combining symbolic depth and evocative imagery.
and the BOOK is by Mark McElroy. The artist is Paolo Martinello - not the same as the Elves, which was by Davide Corsi.

Tarotgarden says of it:
Imagine visiting Renaissance Florence in a parallel world, a place where the cult of the sacred female reigned supreme over the male-dominated Church. At the center of this story is the seraphic figure of Mona Lisa -- a beautiful presence that enlivens this richly-illustrationed deck.

lunakasha

gregory said:
and the BOOK is by Mark McElroy. The artist is Paolo Martinello - not the same as the Elves, which was by Davide Corsi.

Yes....Paolo Martinello is the artist of the Universal Fantasy, which is one of my favorite LS decks....absolutely stunning artwork.

For that reason alone, I will be ordering the Mona Lisa as soon as it is available.

:) Luna

thorhammer

lunakasha said:
Yes....Paolo Martinello is the artist of the Universal Fantasy, which is one of my favorite LS decks....absolutely stunning artwork.

For that reason alone, I will be ordering the Mona Lisa as soon as it is available.

Hmmm, I'd say it'll influence me, too, Luna.

\m/ Kat

Queen of Disks

Sold!

must have must have...

HearthCricket

lunakasha said:

Same here, which is why I ordered it from Alida! I love his work and really look forward to this deck. I love his use of colours and the detailed, swirling effects. Very enchanting and magical, to me, at least! I hope he will do more decks, too. I love the Universal Fantasy. Very nice to read from. I am hoping for the same with this deck!

lunakasha

HearthCricket said:
Same here, which is why I ordered it from Alida!

Ahhhh....it is tempting, especially since I hate waiting, LOL....but you know what would happen right???
Yeah....Circle of Life and a few others mysteriously falling into my shopping cart! :eek: })

I agree with you HC that the Universal Fantasy deck is a wonderful reading deck, and look forward to seeing more scans of the Mona Lisa....
*hint hint* :D

6 Haunted Days

I'm not a huge fan of Da Vinci's art or at least most of it, but since the same artist who did the UF is doing this one I am going to have a look see. The UF is an outstanding work of art imo.

Tomsde

I think this is a deck that I will have to get for my collection!

RiccardoLS

I would like to spend a little time to try to explain something about this deck.
I must admit that, while I have it, I couldn't yet find the time to really *look* at it.

The deck has been built in order to be deceptively simple.
It can be read as a standard pictorial deck (aka: RWS out of the box meanings).
But obviously, that should not be the end of the deck.

Everything started with a little reflection on the Mona Lisa smile, and all the alleged legends and myth built around the most famous (brand power) painting in the world.
Who was Mona Lisa?
Was she the wife of a wealthy merchant? Was she a lost love for Da Vinci? Was she Da Vinci herself? Was she a Princess? A whore? A male? A fictional charachter?
All of this was said, and more.

The deck try to imagine that all of this stories are true. And they are true at the same time.
We face, not just one reality, but many ones. Many facets. Many convergences, and as many divergences.

Trying to sound important... it is like we excluded the "terzo escluso" (there is not a third option. Either something IS, or something IS NOT) of Aristotelian descent. Yes, something may be and not be at the same time.
All of this visions of the Mona Lisa seem to turn around the other like a DNA complex. And each card may be the beginning of a story and in the middle of another.

Trying to be practical, while all cards follow an RWS meaning structure, they are also enclosed in a different Journey of the Hero... One can easily find a few different stories (versions) of Mona Lisa, and build them in a different order in the deck.

The deck is also about the feminine power, specifically for what concern faith and spirit. The male-dominated established church (at the time of DaVinci) is often balanced by the Mona Lisa charachter.

And... I'm waiting for the book as well. ^_^
(we are late, we are late... !!!)

ric

p.s.
The deck is "narrative", for those who have read the thread on tarot of the elves.