The Mona Lisa Tarot

baba-prague

Well Ric, now you have definitely made me want to see it. It sounds unusual and thought-provoking.

6 Haunted Days

Wow thanks Ric, with the detailed explanation this deck is looking even greater....!

Tomsde

It sounds very intriguing, can't wait to see some more cards.

Quester

I am looking forward to this deck as well and hope that it comes out as scheduled in February. I am also glad there is to be a book to go with it.

Papageno

The Universal Fantasy was a sure sign of more good things to come and Paolo Martinello is one of my favorite contemporary Tarot artists, so naturally I have ordered my copy of the Tarocchi di Mona Lisa......

EarthAngel2911

Ric,
Thank you so much for this explanation of this deck! I'll be honest, the Universal Fantasy is one of my very favorites; it's my Go To deck after using it for 7 months now. And I wasn't sure if I was going to get the Mona Lisa because I didn't want to be disappointed. :( (I just don't know if the UFT can be matched, even by the same artist.)

But the way you've described this new deck is fascinating! I can see that it's not just a themed deck of the Mona Lisa, but rather a journey into possibilities and contradictions, and illustrated by my favorite LS artist by far (especially now that Serio is no longer with LS :( )

Thank you again, Ric!! And I'm so glad you pop in here from time to time. I have certainly missed you!

6 Haunted Days

I just put in my pre-order for the deck/book set at Tarot Garden :) The few scans I've seen are just something else!

Aulruna

The big big big pro of this deck - the artwork is more than STUNNING imho. Also, many thought provoking scenes. And I love how the deck uses many different perspectives, from bird's view to close-ups, and it is always a well chosen perspective for the particular scene.

The down side for me is... I just can't warm up to that narrative concept (with the exception of the Secret Tarot, which reads beautifully for me). Extra trouble with the Mona Lisa is that the recurring characters are often set in similar scenes, so I find it hard to distinguish some cards (like the Pope guy being poisoned, lying on his deathbed, being mourned ... all very alike).

The readings I've done with it so far came out rather veiled, too, like the deck keeps hinting at things and always has something else up its sleeve. Let's see how it develops...

Attachments

• mona_majors.jpg
    mona_majors.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 216
  • mona_minors1.jpg
    mona_minors1.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 197
  • mona_minors2.jpg
    mona_minors2.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 210

thorhammer

Aulruna, thankyou so much! This just went straight onto my shortlist! That 4 of Wands is just . . . incredible! No doubt about it, this is not a disappointment at all!

I see the similarities to the UF, and your suggestions of veiled readings echo my feelings about the UF, too. I'm fascinated by the narrative thing, as I'm still struggling with the UF and my strong sense that it's got a wider, greater story to tell, message to convey, that sort of thing (Ric, when are you going to post in our Study threads? *begs* :D)

Ric, thanks for the indepth explanation (*teaser?*), it's lovely to hear about how much thought goes into decks like this. I look forward to ongoing discussion about this deck - hopefully including yourself - and its themes, veiled and obvious. It will become part of my collection post-haste!

\m/ Kat

Tomsde

The images look intriguing, even if I don't read with these cards they would be worthwhile to have in my collection.