The neo deck

Debra

Thanks for the link.

Images are central to tarot. For someone who wants words as guidance for picture interpretation--many decks include keywords, little white books aren't that hard to use, and you can write meanings on a real deck with a marker.

And I'm confused about the conceptualization of this deck. For example, the cards include meanings for reversals--so why not write the reversed meaning upside-down?

Sorry to be unenthused, but I'm not enthused.

mywildbunch

The point of this is to help beginners become familiar with the general keywords associated with the card. The design layout is kept simple for beginners to avoid being overwhelmed when they are learning. This is a completely different way to learn but for some who tend to get overly anxious by taking on to much info at once this can help take some of the beginner stress away.
Yes there are books, but for some it is hard to flop back and forth. I have SEVERE adhd and learning tarot was (and at times still is) a very daunting task. I would have loved a deck like this but I understand the controversy... I guess to each his own. We all learn in different ways.

Debra

I see. It's true, books and booklets can be inconvenient. I'm curious how others see these.

Beanfeasa

Thanks for the link.

Images are central to tarot. For someone who wants words as guidance for picture interpretation--many decks include keywords, little white books aren't that hard to use, and you can write meanings on a real deck with a marker.

And I'm confused about the conceptualization of this deck. For example, the cards include meanings for reversals--so why not write the reversed meaning upside-down?

Sorry to be unenthused, but I'm not enthused.

I agree with you, this is a confusing deck, this is definitely a deck I won't be backing, it's not for me

starlightexp

I'm not trying to be harsh, but these look to basically be flashcards for the keywords no? While I applaud any idea that helps people read the cards I'm curious how you see this helping them when they move to cards with pictures on them. The layout is clear and the font is a good rise to read, but with no image there they have no way of beginning to see the associations with even the most rudimentary imagery. Have you used these to help people before? I'd love to hear how they worked past this deck. There are decks out there in this fashion that have the RWS or TdM imagery on them that have keywords so I'm just curious how this one differs. Are these your own meanings?

bonebeach

I don't NEED these so I probably won't back them, but I like the concept. For people who are NOT visual learners, this seems awesome. There's a subset of readers who approach tarot very abstractly, I think, so instead of going title to images and translating images to words, these are going directly from title to words/concepts. I think that's neat.

Is it something that you could do yourself with index cards and a little patience? Sure, but these will probably shuffle a lot better. ;)

I do think the reversed meanings should be printed in a different orientation, though.

Farzon

Uhhmmm... wow. Talk about minimalism. [emoji15]

Somehow this is not for me. I think Tarot is a very symbolic tool. It hides what it shows. Writing the keywords ob the cards just takes away any charm reading has for me.

And maybe I'm very conservative about this, but I dislike the tendency to make everything easy. Tarot in fact is easy to learn if you are willing to and have the discipline. It gets just more and more complex the more ones intuition evolves, and the more complex concepts one is willing to use.

gregory

If I wanted a deck with all the words on like that - I'd want one with the images as well. There are many such decks already.

Tell Me, for instance - though it doesn't cover reversed meanings - would be a much more appealing one for me.

Or the Quick and Easy, which does have reversed meanings (and that actually would have no relevance for me, as I don't even use reversals, and nor do many far more experienced readers than I am.) And it DOES have the reversed meanings printed in reverse orientation, so that you can look at the images at the same time.

And for more than the most basic of basics, Tarot of Color.

After all - once you have learned those words (which aren't in any case the be-all and end-all) - you will need the images to go further. There is NOTHING there that will help a real learning reader, as you have nothing more to work with than when you would get by drawing a card and going to the dictionary. And anyone can do that, so who'd need a reader who had only used these cards. Without images, as a beginner deck - this is in my view useless. An imageless deck MIGHT work for someone who already has the images etched into their brain - there's one reader on this forum who used to carry 78 pieces of paper with just the card names on so she could read at work }); when she'd draw one, the image was immediately brought to mind.

No appeal - sorry. (And lord knows, I will collect almost any deck.)

Is this actually your project, mywildbunch ?

bonebeach

The font on the Tarot of Color is murder on my eyes. I'm a fast and voracious reader and a writer by trade, but the type and the kerning on those--murder. Not the same thing at all. My eyes immediately glaze over and I'd have to force myself to read them.

I wonder if there is something attentional going on here here. I like minimalist decks and sans serif type, and while my ADHD is medicated and not severe in the first place, there are websites I just won't use if the layout is busy or uncomfortable for me to parse. Poorly designed user interfaces are a deal breaker for me. Good UI, then, is a huge consideration in my world. And the way I parse visual information is pretty typical for my kind of neurodivergent.

The NEO deck is easy to read and uncluttered, and I like how much white space there is. It's soothing to look at.

The amount of text on the Quick and Easy cards is neither quick nor easy, because the cards look so cramped and cluttered. It's not a matter of *can* I read it--of course I can--but I don't want to, because I find it unpleasant to look at because it's so smashed up and cluttered looking that it seems overwhelming even when it totally isn't.