'The Process' threads by Umbrae: ToC

firemaiden

You guys, it's not so easy just to up and publish a book. Someone has to want to publish it. He did try...

mac22

He tried several publishers - they saw it as JUST ANOTHER Tarot book it's NOT!! So he published it as an audio book. It works quite well that way. :) The book is as unique as one of his roses as is my friend its author.

Mac22

gregory

Well, at the time, he did say he didn't want to as it was important to LISTEN...

And also - anyone can self-publish on amazon - that would have been ideal for people like us - it's FREE though you pay them part of what you get from sales. Tarotbear just has done this.

I'm very happy it works as an audio book - as I said to him at the time. But it makes it completely inaccessible to me.

mac22

Well, at the time, he did say he didn't want to as it was important to LISTEN...

And also - anyone can self-publish on amazon - that would have been ideal for people like us - it's FREE though you pay them part of what you get from sales. Tarotbear just has done this.

Perhaps he'll put out a Kindle edition. :)

Mac22

gregory

Perhaps he'll put out a Kindle edition. :)

Mac22
If a Kindle, why not just a BOOK ! (I don't actually kindle either but that is my choice, I realise.)

mac22

If a Kindle, why not just a BOOK ! (I don't actually kindle either but that is my choice, I realise.)

Books ARE S0 20th Century with Kindle you get both print, an audio book AND save a tree. :)

Mac22

gregory

Books ARE S0 20th Century with Kindle you get both print, an audio book AND save a tree. :)

Mac22
I AM 20th century; I don't need an audio book, and did you know that we actually need tree farms of the kind used for the wood for paper; as trees get older, they don't do as good a job helping the atmosphere as younger ones, so (NOT of course ancient woodland) they are better off felled and replanted regularly if we are talking planetary salvation.

I can read the old threads, anyway :).

daphne

He tried several publishers - they saw it as JUST ANOTHER Tarot book it's NOT!!

Such a pity! There are still so many tarot book getting publish, that are indeed just another tarot book, and this gem got no publisher?! Madness!
This would be a nice kicstarter project I would definitely bake for.

Laura Borealis

I love my e-reader but for some kinds of books, an actual, physical book is much preferable. E-books are great for reading straight through from beginning to end.... not so great if you want to frequently turn back to other pages, access the index, write notes in the margins, compare several illustrations to each other, etc. E-books make me a more passive reader in that respect. More just a consumer and less a thinking participant. I don't like that. :(

There is a visual and kinetic memory aspect that's lost, too. When I want to reread something in a printed book, I have a sense of how far back to turn, where on the page to look (top of the left side, for example) and you just don't have that with e-books. The page will be reformatted the next time you see it, anyway.

"But e-books are interactive!" Please, all that means is someone has come up with a way to do things with them that we can do much more easily with the printed word. Virtually bookmarking where you are isn't the same as holding your place with your finger. Accessing the index through a series of menus is not the same as skimming your eyes down the rows of entries - and perhaps finding whole new topics you want to explore. Laboriously tapping out notes on a touchscreen keyboard is miles away from a quick pencil scrawl.

For the latest Bujold novel? Great, send it to me (wirelessly and near instantly) and I'll happily read it on my tablet. For a tarot book I'd rather have something I can flip through and write in the margins and actually interact with.

gregory

It doesn't even need kickstarter though. Self publishing on amazon is TOTALLY FREE and they turn out a nice product - ask tarotbear.