'The Process' threads by Umbrae: ToC

tarotbear

Suddenly I am the 'poster child' for self-publishing! LOL!!!!

gregory

I love my e-reader but for some kinds of books, an actual, physical book is much preferable. E-books are great for reading straight through from beginning to end.... not so great if you want to frequently turn back to other pages, access the index, write notes in the margins, compare several illustrations to each other, etc. E-books make me a more passive reader in that respect. More just a consumer and less a thinking participant. I don't like that. :(

There is a visual and kinetic memory aspect that's lost, too. When I want to reread something in a printed book, I have a sense of how far back to turn, where on the page to look (top of the left side, for example) and you just don't have that with e-books. The page will be reformatted the next time you see it, anyway.

"But e-books are interactive!" Please, all that means is someone has come up with a way to do things with them that we can do much more easily with the printed word. Virtually bookmarking where you are isn't the same as holding your place with your finger. Accessing the index through a series of menus is not the same as skimming your eyes down the rows of entries - and perhaps finding whole new topics you want to explore. Laboriously tapping out notes on a touchscreen keyboard is miles away from a quick pencil scrawl.

For the latest Bujold novel? Great, send it to me (wirelessly and near instantly) and I'll happily read it on my tablet. For a tarot book I'd rather have something I can flip through and write in the margins and actually interact with.

I like you ! My kind of people. Though I don't even want to read a Bujold on a screen. I know just what you mean - and also there is the joy of flipping to and fro with two (or more) pages open at the same time (thinks the 78 card study I am doing right now - I so often reda three books simultaneously - and I mean that literally - all open in front of me.

mac22

I AM 20th century; I don't need an audio book, and did you know that we actually need tree farms of the kind used for the wood for paper; as trees get older, they don't do as good a job helping the atmosphere as younger ones, so (NOT of course ancient woodland) they are better off felled and replanted regularly if we are talking planetary salvation.

I can read the old threads, anyway :).

Don't say that around redwood trees.... lol

Mac22

Laura Borealis

I like you ! My kind of people. Though I don't even want to read a Bujold on a screen. I know just what you mean - and also there is the joy of flipping to and fro with two (or more) pages open at the same time (thinks the 78 card study I am doing right now - I so often reda three books simultaneously - and I mean that literally - all open in front of me.

Now that's what I call interactive! :D

daphne

So, Dan Pelletier is the same as Umbrae?

Now I get it was a joke when I read here that Dan Pelletier took the horseshoe spread from Umbrae and put it in his book. I thought it was a plagiarism. :)

mac22

So, Dan Pelletier is the same as Umbrae?

Now I get it was a joke when I read here that Dan Pelletier took the horseshoe spread from Umbrae and put it in his book. I thought it was a plagiarism. :)

Hehe :)

Mac22

momentarylight

Well, at the time, he did say he didn't want to as it was important to LISTEN...

And also - anyone can self-publish on amazon - that would have been ideal for people like us - it's FREE though you pay them part of what you get from sales. Tarotbear just has done this.

I'm very happy it works as an audio book - as I said to him at the time. But it makes it completely inaccessible to me.

I don't know what your hearing impairment is but hearing aid technology is quite advanced now and you may be able to get an assistive device suitable to your specific needs.

You can also get software which will transcribe audio to written word and vice versa. It is not always perfect but can do a reasonable job.

The author may simply have preferred the audio process as well. Some people do. Unfortunately all things can't be accessible to all people.

gregory

I don't know what your hearing impairment is but hearing aid technology is quite advanced now and you may be able to get an assistive device suitable to your specific needs.

You can also get software which will transcribe audio to written word and vice versa. It is not always perfect but can do a reasonable job.

The author may simply have preferred the audio process as well. Some people do. Unfortunately all things can't be accessible to all people.
I have excellent digital hearing aids - you can't use them properly with phones, earphones etc. (I do know this stuff. I am the deaf one here !) I know about all that voice recognition software too - it is cumbersome at best, and **** otherwise. And why should I have to go through all that stuff ?

I wanted a book. So did - do - many others. But I will live without it all. I just think it's a shame as self publishing is so very easy. And the author could have got himself more money. No worries. His loss.

rmcfarron

Sequential Posts by Thirteen

Well, at times, good threads need to be kept somehow together. Thirteen's earlier sequential posts have been made into a veritable resource for so many,

So, can someone give me a direction or link to Thirteen's posts referred to above?