The readers' energy

AmethystEyes

Do you feel like the reader's energy can affect the cards? If they are a very negative person or has issues going on internally that it will affect the cards coming out more negative?

Zephyros

I think that every reader builds a relationship with the cards, whether "negative" ones come out or not. I, for example, suffer from depression and social anxiety, hence things that for other people are positive or neutral, to me are crises. Whatever cards I draw, my interpretation will be unique and colored by my own life and outlook.

I just don't like to classify people as "negative;" that seems unfair and victim-blaming. Everyone has issues, and nobody is completely negative, nobody is all dark and foreboding and must be "protected against" as if their "negative energy" was the plague or something.

AmethystEyes

I don't mean to classify people as negative, just those who emit much negative energy currently in their life.
But actually yes, I do disagree on people not needing to be protected against negative energy of people. Emphaths especially need to do so, it is so draining and unhealthy to be around these people.

Tanga

Do you feel like the reader's energy can affect the cards? If they are a very negative person or has issues going on internally that it will affect the cards coming out more negative?

Depends how good the reader is at keeping their own baggage separate from their reading.
It's unprofessional to allow one's own stuff to colour the presentation of the spread - just as it's unprofessional for the therapist to allow her own issues to encroach on the treatment of hir client (says the therapist here :). To avoid this I regularly have therapy myself and self-examine/evaluate, so that I know and recognize my own patterns and unconscious beliefs, and hopefully nip them in the bud before they "spill over" onto my clients. Ofcourse - I'm human, so I'm not perfect at this :) ).
And each individual can only best interpret what they see through the lens of their own experience, so some colouring will inevitably go on.

Ace

Tanga is right about that. But some people also believe that they must tell you what will happen then leave you stuck. It will be bad and too bad but you are stuck with it. I don't do that but I have talked to others on this forum who felt that that was the kind of reading they received.

Also: if a reader is very tired they may not be able to read as well as they should. I sometimes feel that being very tired makes me a better reader: all my guards are down. But as with anything don't let yourself get too tired, too hungry, etc.

barb

Starri Knytes

The cards are just paper and ink. If the reader is tapping into the universal consciousness, how could their reading be construed as negative, or personally biased?

The cards are what they are, and their meaning has already been defined. The reader, despite their personal demeanor, should in my opinion, be able to put together a reasonably reliable reading.
That is of course, provided they are in fact able to connect to the universal consciousness.

Tanga

...Also: if a reader is very tired they may not be able to read as well as they should. I sometimes feel that being very tired makes me a better reader: all my guards are down. But as with anything don't let yourself get too tired, too hungry, etc.

barb

One of my best readings ever - was on a strong cup of coffee. :)
(I never drink it because it literally "strips my defenses" - all my guards are down, not to mention it usually encourages constipation. :) ).
I'd come to the end of a loooong day after an even looooonger week - and I knew I needed an emergency pick-me-up or I'd be sleeping at the reception table. (! - these days I manage myself much better - ! ). I grabbed a coffee. Then - I went off to my evening Tarot reading class, at the end of which, I had one of my first ever schedulled Tarot readings (from a willing guinea pig).

The reading was AMAZING. And equally amazing - was the downer that I had afterwards.
Firstly, on the train home - I was a super sponge! I could feel everybody's baggage, mood and darkest secrets - as if they were telling it all to me directly into my brain. All at once! UUUGH!
And then ofcourse the nervous shakes and upheaving stomach for several days after that - like I'd been electrocuted and my nerves were still "on the twitch". Hah! never again after that!
I've got to be careful with coffee.

:)

@ Starri Knytes in my opinion each person will interpret the 'universal consciousness' though their own "filters" - it's human nature.

JackofWands

The cards are just paper and ink. If the reader is tapping into the universal consciousness, how could their reading be construed as negative, or personally biased?

Because even if you believe that a reader is tapping into the universal consciousness, she does so by means of her personal consciousness. She pulls the cards, which may present universal symbols, but she must then interpret those symbols using the tools available to her as an individual, and it's altogether possible for her personal beliefs to influence that interpretation.

However, I think that's a matter of beliefs or prejudices affecting a reading, and not some sort of fabled negative energy. I second Closrapexa's statement:

I just don't like to classify people as "negative;" that seems unfair and victim-blaming. Everyone has issues, and nobody is completely negative, nobody is all dark and foreboding and must be "protected against" as if their "negative energy" was the plague or something.

To say that a reader who is experiencing hardship--especially if it's a form of mental illness, which is not the reader's fault--is inherently negative and is therefore a burden to others seems ridiculously cruel to me. As Tanga said, it would be unprofessional for a reader to allow events in her personal life to color her readings too much (e.g. Cheryl just got her heart broken and now every love reading she performs predicts disaster), but that's not a matter of "negative energy". It's a question of interpreting what you see in the cards fairly and truly. It would be just as problematic if it was unreasonably positive (Cheryl just started dating again and every love reading she does is full of promise). A reader's responsibility is to show what the cards say, and not what she wants them to say.

But this is most certainly not something that can be ascribed to "negative energy". People experiencing severe depression--and people who are not struggling with mental illness, but who are experiencing stress in their lives--can still be excellent Tarot readers, because they read the cards as they fall.

Furthermore, AmethystEyes, I take serious issue with your contention that:

I do disagree on people not needing to be protected against negative energy of people. Emphaths especially need to do so, it is so draining and unhealthy to be around these people.

No one needs to be "protected" from people who suffer from depression or other issues that might make you perceive them as negative. You as an outsider cannot possibly understand the difficulty of the issues those people are dealing with (although, theoretically, an empath ought to be able to), and rather than dismissing their problems as "draining" on you, I would recommend exercising a bit of compassion and thinking about their health before your personal comfort.

magpie9

What Jack said. What energy one picks up is one's own responsibility. Think about hospital workers...if "negative energy " was a'll that catching, they ought to be suicidal.

Tanga

I think what was meant by "negative energy" - is when a person/reader/therapist is unable to detach themselves from the baggage of the people that they are serving (i.e. those people may presently be suffering from depression, anger, embitterment etc.) and thereby become adversely affected by the mood of their charges. I.e they take on (become a sponge - as I have described) those "heavier" emotions themselves.
For them - it becomes a "negative" experience - of those "negative energies".
(It is a tricky "label" :) ).

But ofcourse - it is for them to recognise that they are doing this and find ways to choose not to - or else (as I have previously said) they cannot function in a professional capacity for those people. ...because they are then too busy feeling miserable and/or ill themselves.

Thus, as some of you are describing here - a nurse is able to continue treating the severely sick and work in an environment where they are surrounded by "heavier" ("negative" if you like) emotions - because they can distance themselves from it. They do not take up those sufferings as their own and allow them to "cloud" their performance (we hope! :) ).
And a psychic can continue to provide fresh sharp services for her clients without being brought down by the fact that perhaps everyone-of-them that day, is in deep painful mourning for a lost loved one.

Some visual exercises for distancing yourself from other peoples baggage, are the popular self "protection" rituals - like when one imagines being surrounded by a protective blue cloak, or seeing ones aura being bolstered by reflective forces. These exercises often extend to the space that one works in (just as the bio-magnetic field/aura can expand to fill a room) - and so - someone may "cleanse" their working space of "negative" vibrations (in my translation - they are cleansing their minds of the memory of what the last clients pain was about, for instance). I have done - and still do these sorts of mind exercises myself.

Some people do also believe in spirits and other such forces (deamons/demons, fae, ghosts etc.) that can affect them "negatively" - or that specific types of people encourage/attract these emanations.
Here - the same aforementioned principle applies - find ways to detach oneself from the idea (and therefore the reality) that one is being affected by them.