The World/Le Monde - Contrasting the Dodal and Conver

kwaw

DoctorArcanus said:
In the ivory described by Eguchi Koretaka at least three of the four virtues appear together with the tetramorph. I wonder if there also was an early connection between the symbols of the Evangelists and the Cardinal Virtues....
Marco

In the Vivian Bible [c.845-846, a gift from Abbot Vivian and the monks of the Abbey of Saint-Menard to king and holy roman emperor Charles 1, the Bald, currently in the Bibliotheque Nationale] there is a picture of King David [remembering here the connection between Adam = A[dam], D[avid] and M[essiah]], in a Mandorla [with the inscription above his head DavidRexEtProp = 'David king and prophet'] and in the four corners allegories of the four cardinal virtues. There is another picture in the same bible of 'Majestas Domini' suggesting in mutual symbolism a clear connection between the two [maybe with David interpreted as a prefigurement]. I have a copy of the King David in mandorla with corner virtues, it is rather large but if anyone is interested I will have a go at scanning it and finding somewhere to post it so you can have a look.

It is also published on p.96 of Masterpieces of Illumination by Taschen, 2005. {Highly recommended, a bargain at a special price of just £14.95 to celebrate their 25th anniversary, withy a few illustrations that parallel Tarot iconography}.

Kwaw

kwaw

kwaw said:
In the Vivian Bible [c.845-846, a gift from Abbot Vivian and the monks of the Abbey of Saint-Menard to king and holy roman emperor Charles 1, the Bald, currently in the Bibliotheque Nationale] there is a picture of King David [remembering here the connection between Adam = A[dam], D[avid] and M[essiah]], in a Mandorla [with the inscription above his head DavidRexEtProp = 'David king and prophet'] and in the four corners allegories of the four cardinal virtues.

Found an image of it online here:

http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/bytype/manuscripts/survey/0001/114.JPG

And Christ in Majesty from the Vivian is here:

http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/bytype/manuscripts/survey/0001/115.JPG

Kwaw

kwaw

In Summary

I suggest the hypotheses that in the unbreasted figure we have an image of Adam. The breasted version could either be Eve, or an androgynous version of Adam as first Adam, Adam Kadmon [Primal Adam]. As such it is symbolic of the supernal or universal soul of Man [male and female]. In terms of a 3x7 pattern the World as Supernal soul in the higher realm paralleling or reflecting the Individual soul in the lower [the Chariot], macrocosm and microcosm. In terms of its eschatological sequence, we can see the reference to Genesis as implying that in the end there is a return to the beginning, the restoration of the Cosmos in the world to come being consubstantial with the redemption of Man. Later versions of this card has perhaps conflated or emphasied the neo-platonic identification of the androgynous Adam Kadmon as supernal soul with the neo-platonic Anima Mundi. In connection with the image in the center of a mandorla as representing the 'soul' we may note that upon sarcophagi an image of a figure in a mandorla was used to represent the soul ascension after death.

Kwaw

kwaw

kwaw said:
I suggest the hypotheses that in the unbreasted figure we have an image of Adam. The breasted version could either be Eve, or an androgynous version of Adam as first Adam, Adam Kadmon [Primal Adam].

Kwaw

As 'Eve', an alternative hyptheses may relate to the millenarium conception that at the end of the world the jews would convert to Christianity [much of the often cabbalistic based Christian missionary work among Jews was motivated by the desire to bring such about]. In didactic imagery Eve, Syngogia or the Shumanite woman were often used to represent the old law, old testament, Judaism. And in exegesis of the Song of Songs for example the Shumanite woman was portrayed riding in a chariot the four wheels of which contain the four symbols of the tetramorph to symbolise the conversion of all to Christianity at the end of time and sharing in the world to come. The conversion of all being symbolised by the redemption of Eve, who as Mother of All thus symbolised the conversion and redemption of all in the restoration of the cosmos in the world to come.

Kwaw

kwaw

Universal Redemption

kwaw said:
And in exegesis of the Song of Songs for example the Shunamite woman was portrayed riding in a chariot the four wheels of which contain the four symbols of the tetramorph to symbolise the conversion of all to Christianity at the end of time and sharing in the world to come.
Kwaw

"It was on New Year's day, when God sits and judges the world, that Elisha was staying in the house of the Shunamite woman. And he said unto her wishest thou that I should speak unto the king for thee, that is, the Holy One who called a King, the King of righteousness, the Holy King. And she said, I dwell amongst mine own people; meaning, I wish not to be remembered or spoken of to the Holy One save as one and along with those with whom I live, so that our deeds and acts may not be judged and examined separately but collectively together." Zohar

Attachment detail of minature showing the Shunamite woman from 12th century exegesis on the Song of Songs by Honorius Augustodunensis, Augsburg University Library, Cod.1.2.2 13, Folio 48 verso. Published in Jews in Christian Art by Schreckenburg. The wheels of her chariot showing the symbols of the tetramorph with the names of the four apostles:

Attachments

• ShunamiteWomanDetail.jpg
    ShunamiteWomanDetail.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 113