The Worst Tarot's Ever?

Little Baron

I have the Cosmic Tribe, but that is another one that has a few cards that do not float my boat - 10 of Swords, Queen of Disks, High Priestess, to name a few.

I am not keen on photo-realistic or computer-generated art decks, to be honest. Even though a few of the cards are quite lovely, they are weighted down by what I consider to be quite poor. If you look on Stevie Postman's site, there are other images that are far more superior than some of the ones in the deck. His style is not to everyone's taste, but executed better, it might have been one I would have warmed to more. Shame, really.

As for the three lovers, I actually thought this was quite a good idea. Especially since they don't have to be used. I don't often feel excluded by tarot, but it is nice to see a partnership you recognise, in the same way that people of different colour like to see themelves represented in the cards, also. It is just comfortable. A deck like the 'Light and Shadow' is quite good in that it doesn't seem to leave anyone out - people are both light and dark and relationships between characters are blurred enough that you can not always determine which gender they are. Like you probably do, I far prefer this approach to singling out a specific sexuality or ethnic group, HM, but of course, that is just my personal preference.

LB

Lee

The Hanged Man said:
Someone mentioned disliking feminist Tarot's, and so do I, as well as gay Tarot's, because Tarot is not about excluding other people which decks like these inevitably do.

Oh, and what's that deck which has three 'Lovers' cards? One depicting a man and a woman, one depicting two gay men, and one with two lesbians. Oh please! The Lovers card will refer to sex and relationships regardless of the sexuality of the person being read for, we don't need two extra Lovers cards. Political correctness gone mad!
I found this interesting. According to your post, a gay Lovers card will elicit complaints that it's excluding other people, yet a straight Lovers card will refer to sex and relationships regardless of the sexuality of the person being read for.

Couldn't we just as easily say that a straight Lovers card is excluding people (i.e. gay people)? And couldn't we just as easily say that a gay Lovers card will refer to sex and relationships regardless of the sexuality of the person read for?

-- Lee

shadowdancer

I must admit I love the Gay tarot, and have never seen it as excluding anybody.

Some of the images do highlight societies views which can still at times be intolerant, or non-understanding. However, I can relate that to the reading I do whenever I use the cards, even though the querant is not necessarily gay.

I don't have the comsic Tribe tarot, so can't comment on the three lovers cards, but I like the idea of having that option or choice. Would be a bit unwieldy if applied to every card though!! (Trying to use all fingers and toes to figure out what 3 x 78 is :) )

Davina

Little Baron

Yep, I can see your point, Lee. That's why I made the comment about the 'Light and Shadow'. I havn't seen, but imagine that the 'International Icon' is genderless. Is it? Are the lovers in it open to suggestion, genderwise?

In terms of the Cosmic Tribe, I quite like the idea of choice. And after all, is that not what the traditional meaning of the sixth trump is? ;)

LB

Lee

Without looking at it at the moment to check, I believe some of the figures in the International Icon are genderless, and some aren't. I believe you can tell from the contours of the figures on the Lovers card that it's a man and a woman. Likewise, on the Empress, you can tell it's a woman.

-- Lee

Little Baron

Cheers Lee. I asumed, since so much else was excluded, that gender would have been removed as well. That's a bit of a disappointment actually.

Talking of Gay Decks, I don't think it is the worst deck ever, but I must admit to not liking the Brotherhood Tarot.

LB

Nina*

Lee said:
Likewise, on the Empress, you can tell it's a woman.
:eek: That really does sound like one of the worst decks ever... ;)

Anyway, I vote for the Gendron Tarot. Just don't like it.

Lee

Ninamagic said:
:eek: That really does sound like one of the worst decks ever... ;)
Um, just to be sure I'm clear, I'm not ascribing any positivity or negativity to it, I was merely answering LB's question on whether gender could be discerned in the deck. Personally, I like the deck.

-- Lee

jackdaw*

LOL, Ninamagic :D

I like the International Icon too, but didn't somebody here complain about its anti-fat bias? :p We could say the same for the Stick Figure Tarot!

Bat Chicken

QueenofPentacles said:
LOL, Ninamagic :D

I like the International Icon too, but didn't somebody here complain about its anti-fat bias? :p We could say the same for the Stick Figure Tarot!

LOL!! Those are both out for me then.... :D