There is something wrong with me?

Ross G Caldwell

I came at Thoth a different way. Back in the Spring of 1980 (I was 13), I had the Book of Thoth, but nobody sold the deck in Calgary. So I studied the book and the pictures, and hoped one day to find an actual Thoth Tarot.

In the meantime, I set out to draw my own versions of the cards, large, based on Crowley's descriptions and the pictures in the back of the book. I completed about half the trumps, in pencil, by May, before I found a bookstore that had the deck. I recommend this way of studying - put the deck aside, and design your own based on the descriptions. It doesn't have to be usable - mine were full-sized pictures, suitable for hanging on a wall, like Harris' originals. - but the attention you pay to the book itself means that you read it and reread it, it sinks in despite yourself.

Of course at 13 you soak up knowledge like a sponge - it is harder for adults. Nevertheless, although it takes greater effort to sit down and focus on Crowley's bizarre world, there are a few keys that will open almost any door once you have them in your head.

You have to, absolutely, just memorize the Hebrew alphabet and the Tree of Life, Sephiroth and Paths (the letters between the Sephiroth). The best way, the only way in my opinion, is pure rote memorization. Just learn it like a telephone number, it doesn't matter in the least if you understand anything. That comes later. Memorize it, and then write it out, again and again (and again and again...). Writing out the alphabet, and drawing the Tree of Life fully, over and over and over, is the only way to sink it into your head, like planting a seed that will later grow.

The only way to begin to understand Crowley is to understand the Tree of Life, and the only way to understand the Thoth Tarot is to understand Crowley. The Tree of Life is the sine qua non for both. Crowley structured his life on it.

Carla

SO its not really a wanting it is a calling of some sort. I have deffered uni to study THOTH this year so I guess its time.

That's pretty amazing that you've put off uni to study Thoth. Perhaps you should look for more formal training. http://oto-usa.org/member.html Or seek out a teacher in another way. If you are really ready and send out your intention to the universe, a teacher will come into your life.

Lourdez

Ross thank you for sharing :) that's awesome x

Lourdez

That's pretty amazing that you've put off uni to study Thoth. Perhaps you should look for more formal training. http://oto-usa.org/member.html Or seek out a teacher in another way. If you are really ready and send out your intention to the universe, a teacher will come into your life.

Carla I would love that. Thank you for the idea:)
Could you imagine sticking with my degree I doubt I could concentrate I'd be thinking of Aleister Crowley lol

I deferred to have a baby what's another year for mr Crowley :):)

Oh Carla I'm in Australia can I still join OTO from here???

Richard

......You have to, absolutely, just memorize the Hebrew alphabet and the Tree of Life, Sephiroth and Paths (the letters between the Sephiroth). The best way, the only way in my opinion, is pure rote memorization. Just learn it like a telephone number, it doesn't matter in the least if you understand anything. That comes later. Memorize it, and then write it out, again and again (and again and again...). Writing out the alphabet, and drawing the Tree of Life fully, over and over and over, is the only way to sink it into your head, like planting a seed that will later grow......
That's what I did, and I tell people that it really works, but the advice usually falls on deaf ears. It's really quite easy. For example, if you learn only a single Hebrew letter a day (cumulatively), you'll know the alphabet in 22 days. It's totally painless.

Carla

That's what I did, and I tell people that it really works, but the advice usually falls on deaf ears. It's really quite easy. For example, if you learn only a single Hebrew letter a day (cumulatively), you'll know the alphabet in 22 days. It's totally painless.

I am working on memorizing those basics. I have a question. Do I need to get some sort of calligraphy pen to write the Hebrew letters? I can't do it with a biro (ballpoint) unless I just sort of draw them and fill them in.

What do you all use for writing Hebrew letters?

Tarot Orat

I am working on memorizing those basics. I have a question. Do I need to get some sort of calligraphy pen to write the Hebrew letters? I can't do it with a biro (ballpoint) unless I just sort of draw them and fill them in.

What do you all use for writing Hebrew letters?

Hebrew can be written without a calligraphy pen, after all people in Israel are using biros! Study the letter shape and think of it as drawing a stick-figure version. Look at a sans-serif Hebrew font if you need more guidance.

(I'm not a student of Thoth, but my office works with a lot of Hebrew books and I'm the unofficial expert...I actually can't read it but I sure know all the letters!)

Carla

Hebrew can be written without a calligraphy pen, after all people in Israel are using biros! Study the letter shape and think of it as drawing a stick-figure version. Look at a sans-serif Hebrew font if you need more guidance.

(I'm not a student of Thoth, but my office works with a lot of Hebrew books and I'm the unofficial expert...I actually can't read it but I sure know all the letters!)

Oh wow, I can't imagine being able to differentiate stick figure versions. *biting lip* Maybe I can find some sort of tutorial online for writing Hebrew...my experience so far is based on the Chicken Qabalah book, and DuQuette's descriptions include all the variations of width and so on in the strokes. I thought they were necessary.