Time before "talking"

Herzog

Sometimes I need to take a moment and absorb a spread of cards before opening my mouth. But I've noticed some readers begin speaking almost immediately as they turn over cards. This amazes me, but I'm wondering if it's the best approach. Isn't it better to wait and see how cards interact before interpreting out loud?

I'm fairly slow to begin an interpretation. I like having all the facts and I don't believe I can get in-depth readings from a cursory overview. My initial reactions are usually on point but still I like to double check things before talking

Alta

No problem with your approach. I generally take a few seconds but for me, and this is just me, the reading develops as I talk. Connections form in my mind and I tend to get deeper into the cards as I 'play' with them verbally. If I stare at the cards too long, I tend to freeze up. Opening my mouth and starting to give initial impressions just gets things flowing. But I suspect the preference may be by personality type as much as anything.

Interested to hear others' comments!

gregory

I have only ever read f2f once (Alta was there...) and found that as I saw a card I had to say something....

With readings at home done for people here etc - it varies enormously. It depends very much on what hits you I think. Sometimes something whacks you in the face the moment you see it - and the very fact that it DOES means it is time to say something. Other times I have to leave the cards for a while and come back to them and see what gells...

Reverie

I've only read for people in person, for two people...

It's really hard that way for me :(

It tends to take me at least half a minute to formulate what I'm going to say, for the first words to come out, and I feel really shy and silly saying them!

My comfort level is definitely reading online, but I suppose with practice readng in person, some people read very fast.

Herzog

I try not to take too long and you say, Alta, the longer I take the more likely I'll freeze. I usually take a few beats, not much longer than 15 seconds which by the way can feel like an eternity when someone's sitting across from you :)

I love online readings... gives me a chance to really absorb things, double check details and all that good stuff.

I'm reading tonight at a local cafe which is why this subject is on my mind.

Apollonia

It probably depends a lot on how the information comes to you during the reading.

My readings tend to go fast, because besides using the cards, I often get a great deal of information clairaudiently in a very brief amount of time. So I generally start in after the first couple of cards have been thrown, because I begin receiving information right away and as I receive it, I need to give it or it gets lost in the next piece of information coming through. Actually, now that I think about it, sometimes the information starts coming in before I get the first card laid down, sometimes even before I start shuffling.

Even if I start out giving information right off the bat, I can always look at the overall pattern for additional information after the initial messages come through, so nothing is lost.

Sulis

When I lay out a reading I start off with all the cards face down. I turn them over one at a time but I don't say anything or start to vocalise my interpretation until all the cards are face up. I think doing it that way helps give me time to formulate the 'story' of the reading.
I've noticed that some readers turn each card face up straight away and actually start to talk before all the cards are laid out or before they're all face up - that approach doesn't work for me. I need to see all of the cards together so that I can begin to weave the story of them together (if that makes sense). Sometimes it takes me a short while to get there and more comes as I speak.

GryffinSong

I only read for friends, and only with several caveats stated out loud about what to expect. I start by asking them if they have an initial impression of the cards, and I let the spread be a starting point for a conversation between myself, my friend, and the images on the cards. Its very satisfying, and we both get a lot out of it. :)

Le Fanu

Herzog, you say exactly what I feel about this exact subject (but then I think you know this already...)

I have to be honest, I absolutely love doing online readings for people, but when I do real life readings, I have a tendency to find their presence intimidating. I need time to absorb the information and as soon as the cards are turned over you can feel the palpable atmosphere of "I want ANSWERS".

Basically, my best readings have been online and my worst, in the flesh. I don't really think there is much I can do about this. Ho hum...

I know it is all very well saying we need a few moments to take in the information and that it's fine etc etc, but when you have someone in front of you watching your reaction, watching your expression, looking for the Death card in a state of sheer panic, it can be very distracting.

I hate that. I have just come to acept that online readings = fun! And face to face readings = stress.

If I am asked to do an online reading, I always enjoy myself tremendously but will often think of any excuse not to have to read for someone who is sitting in front of me. I cannot reach the level of abstraction, scrying even, which online readings permit. Such a bummer...

I think if I could only do online readings, I'd go pro tomorrow!

gregory

Le Fanu said:
I know it is all very well saying we need a few moments to take in the information and that it's fine etc etc, but when you have someone in front of you watching your reaction, watching your expression, looking for the Death card in a state of sheer panic, it can be very distracting.

I hate that. I have just come to accept that online readings = fun! And face to face readings = stress.
I have always felt that. But - in the pub with Alta and A N Other - it was fine.... I've not done it again since though.... I think I need Alta to hold my hand ! :D :love:

Attachments

• need hug.jpg
    need hug.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 67