to reverse or not to reverse

SunChariot

Well there are many ways to use reversals also. I know of at least three. I never use them to mean the opposite of the upright card. Usually I use reversed cards to mean the exact same thing as the upright card, but with the additional meaning that whatever is announced by the cards will not happen right away. Reversed cards for me indicate a delay, a blockage something is blocking the event from taking place and if you want it to happen then you need to work to remove the blockage (what is getting in the way of it happening). A reversed card for me means you have to be patient now and wait because it will not happen right away.

So I sometimes use reversals and sometimes I don't. Depending on the question and if I think the additional info given by reversals will add valuable info to the answer. Like if the question is what actions do I need to take right now to ensure that so and so happens, it would not make sense to use reversals. I want to know what I need to do now, not about something I have to wait for....

So it is on a reading to reading basis. I need to decide if a reading will benefit from the info or not.

I have also used upright cards to mean external processes and reversed cards to show internal processes, which was worked well enough for me too. Like the Empress upright could mean that someone in your life will be kind and nurturing to you. And the Empress reversed would mean that you should be kind and nurturing to yourself right now.

So I just sometimes use reversals and sometimes not. I decide each time before I start the reading.

But no, they are not strictly necessary. You can get enough info to do a perfectly good reading without them.

Hope this did not confure things even more for you....

Babs

PS I do not read the cards reversed. Once the cards have been chosen, I write down what landed where in a sheet of paper including which cards came up reversed.

Then I put the reversed cards upright again and then start to read. I don't try to read them upside down, all I need is to know which cards are indicating a delay and I do that by taking notes, then uprighting them before I start to read.

Starling

SunChariot, I like your method of doing reversals very, very much. Right now I'm not doing them at all, but when I'm ready I'm going to try to remember as much of what you said as I can, because I think that will work very well for me too.