Traveling AT Member Deck ~ Journal ~

huredriel

Day 3 - Sat 14 Oct 2006
Well I had to go to work so didn't get any time during the day to play with the deck *pouts* ....... however when I got home I pulled a card for the day/evening and got The Star ........ now strangely enough looking at the imagery I got the thought of fireworks ...... and what did I hear going off later that evening ........ but absolutely stacks of fireworks, not just the odd one.

What was really good about this card was the pouring aspect and darkness ;) ...... had friends round for drinks & takeaway etc during the evening and they didn't leave til around 2am :)

The cards were also passed round my friends and they had a good look at them. Unfortunately though when I did a few readings that evening, this deck wasn't chosen ..... and I think it sulked a wee bit :D

Day 4 - Sun 15 Oct 2006
Hmmm wondering if the deck was still sulking ...... pulled a card for the day and got Three of Cups ...... well that would fit in with the mates being round in the early hours of the morning ....... cos it was a girly night in ...... but still struggling to see how it fitted in with the rest of Sunday ...... :confused: ..... unless it was about nursing my own emotions. Deck then had to be packed back into its box and bag and put with everything else, ready to take to work on Monday. Just waiting to hear back from one of the next two people on the list so it can be sent on.

huredriel

Day 5 - Mon 16 Oct 2006
Ohhhhh :( ........ time for the deck to be passed on ...... so duly packaged up (with an added bit of selotape for the box) and sent to Netzach ....... also managed to get a guarantee delivery of by 1pm tomorrow!!!

Just before I did that, I asked what message the deck would like to leave with me ...... and drew Three of Wands ..... hmm gonna think on this one ....... wondering if it's connected to the 3 wands someone else drew for me very recently :eek: ...... pretty personal interp ..... so not gonna say what I think here ;).

Been an amazing experience taking part in this ....... loved every second with the deck and it's now on my wishlist :)

Netzach

The deck has arrived! I find it very hard to believe that it's been travelling for over a year. It doesn't look at all tired!

Huredriel told me that she had posted it by special delivery which meant that it would arrive before 1pm today. I was a little concerned because I was going to be out all today and our normal post comes around 11am. However, it arrived when I was in the shower (John signed for it). I just had time to open it and look at the signatures (so exciting to see all those familiar names) before I had to go out. I didn't want the deck to feel lonely so I put it on my computer table with a few of my other decks and left them to get to know each other.

Got back late this afternoon and I've just been through the deck looking at the front of the cards. I have to say I am surprised. I have never seen this deck in the flesh before, only illustrated online, and I had thought it rather ugly. I wasn't expecting the illustrations to have such energy. And I've already chosen the card I'm going to sign.

I've offered Gregory a reading with it because I pipped her to the post for a reading with it a little while ago.

Netzach

This morning I’m doing a reading for Gregory. I wanted to do a three card reading and, while I was trying to think of an appropriate spread, a chorus from “The Merry Widow” came into my mind:

What to think? what to say? what to do?
What a red letter day if we knew!

So, here you are Gregory . . . a “what to think? what to say? what to do?” spread!

And the cards I’ve drawn are:

What to think: The Hierophant
What to say: Ten of Swords
What to do: The Universe

So . . . two Majors out of three cards – the deck has an important message for you!

What to think: The Hierophant
I have to start by saying that I am enormously surprised that I like this deck so much. The impression I had of it from images online was that it was dark and ugly. But no . . . the colours are bright and its somewhat crude art gives it a vigour and energy that makes me smile. The Hierophant is one of four cards that I picked out yesterday when I was choosing which to sign. (In the end I chose the 3 of Wands.) It shows a man who I think is meant to be Aztec (large feathered headdress, large collar, tiger-skin tunic). He’s down on one knee, holding a flaming staff in his left hand. With his right hand he is pointing out and upwards as though giving an order. Behind him are two large steps and two pillars with a curtain hung between them, reminiscent of the RWS High Priestess. In front of him, two young people (possibly one male, one female) are crouched on all fours. At first glance it seems that they are in awe of the Hierophant but then you look at the angle of their heads . . . the “boy” on the left has lifted his head slightly and seems to be whispering into the ear of the “girl”. Oh joy! The Hierophant’s getting all pompous and holier than thou – and they’re not paying a blind bit of attention but are just giggling away at their own secrets.

Now I know that you’ve retired but in this world of ours there are still officials and authorities and other people who try to rule the roost over us. And I think this card is telling you that, when they do, you should not be intimidated by them. (Although from what I know of you, I don’t think you would be anyway.) Let the irritations introduced into life by the rule-makers pass you by. Be naughty and giggle at your own secrets and jokes.

What to think? - think independently!

What to say: Ten of Swords
In the ten of Swords, a person sits next to some water. I say “person” because although it looks like a woman, I think she has a beard. OK . . . a bearded lady (why not?). There is a sword in his/her chest and another in his/her abdomen and a third in his/her back. The other swords float hilt-upwards in the water. Next to this figure stands Anubis (I think), Egyptian god of the dead. His left hand is on the hilt of the chest sword and his right on the bearded lady’s head. But he doesn’t seem to be pushing the sword in – to me, it looks as though he’s pulling it out. And that may explain three apparent gashes on his/her robe – Anubis has been pulling out the swords and chucking them into the water.

Behind the two figures rises what seems to be a black hill. Near the top stands a third figure, arms outstretched and an Egyptian symbol whose significance I don’t know, on its head. A piece of material is attached to his wrists and, as he stretches up, gives him the appearance of an angel. And in the background the sun is just rising over the top of the hill.

Unlike the ten of Swords in many decks I feel that this is very much a message of hope. The things that troubled you are over and a new day is dawning.

What to say? – hoorah, everything’s going to be OK.

What to do: The Universe
The Universe is a large blue lady, naked apart from a bikini bottom made of stars. She may be dancing (although her posture suggests she’s in danger of toppling over) or she may be lying back luxuriating on a background of stars and planets. Her eyes are shut, her arms are above her head . . . she's happy. Around her is the ouruboros (have I spelled that correctly?) – the snake with its tail in its mouth. And at the four corners are animal symbols – lion, raven, cow and dolphin. She is protected.

What to do? – relax and enjoy yourself!

It’s interesting that all three cards depict someone with arms upraised. The Hierophant lifts one arm to lay down the law, the “angel” of the 10 of Swords lifts both arms to greet the dawn of a new day and the Universe lifts both her arms in pleasure and abandon. It’s a progression from the rigid to the relaxed as a result of shaking off any bad stuff that’s gone before and welcoming in what is yet to come.

I hope this makes sense.

Netzach

The decks have been having a little party today to welcome the travelling deck. So we had to have some photos taken - and, of course, everyone wanted to be in them. You'll notice (if you look hard) that both Morgan Greers got in on the act and both Tarots of Dreams and even one of my tarot bags has managed to squeeze itself into the background on two of the shots.

Attachments

• travelling deck 1-60.jpg
    travelling deck 1-60.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 95
  • travelling deck 2-60.jpg
    travelling deck 2-60.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 92
  • travelling deck 3-60.jpg
    travelling deck 3-60.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 90

Netzach

This little deck is really worming its way into my heart - I wouldn't have thought it possible! But I'm really growing very fond of it.

This morning a deck that I had ordered (the Tarot of the 78 Doors) arrived in the post. It was very excited to find itself in such distinguished company and seemed somewhat overawed when I introduced it to the Travelling Deck.

Later this morning the deck and I did a reading for Azarial here and, after that, a reading that had been requested via the TABI free reader service.

I haven't yet taken the deck out to see the surrounding countryside but if the weather's nice I may do that tomorrow.

Netzach

I forgot to mention that I asked the deck what it felt about its travels around the world . . . and I drew the Empress. And that seemed rather fitting. Because it has, I think, sparked a spirit of creativity in each of us - taking photos and finding different things to do with it. And I think we have each had a fertile time with it, learning and enjoying.

I'm only now realising what a brilliant idea this travelling deck is. Thank you Daizdy!

Netzach

The weather this morning was horrid so, as I wanted to spend as much time as possible with the deck today, I offered three short readings on the reading exchange. However, having done one, the weather brightened up so we went out before I did the other two.

Fortunately, John had some spare time today which made it easier for me to look after the deck and the camera.

I thought that since the deck was in this part of the world, it really ought to visit the Royal Pavilion in Brighton. John dropped me outside and, as it used to be a royal building, I took photos of the Sages and the Sibyls. Just as I'd finished, it started to rain but fortunately there was a tree to shelter under while I waited for John to finish driving round the block.

Attachments

• sages at the royal pavilion 2-60.jpg
    sages at the royal pavilion 2-60.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 87
  • sages at the royal pavilion - 60.jpg
    sages at the royal pavilion - 60.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 79
  • sibyls at the royal pavilion - 60.jpg
    sibyls at the royal pavilion - 60.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 74
  • sibyls at the royal pavilion 2-60.jpg
    sibyls at the royal pavilion 2-60.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 67

Netzach

Then we went up to Devil's Dyke where I took photos of the Devil. And because there's a wonderful view from there and you can see for miles, I took photos of the seers. Surprisingly the sky had cleared and for the few minutes that I was taking photos we had sun and blue sky, although it was very windy. But then it started to cloud over again.

Attachments

• devil at devil's dyke 1-60.jpg
    devil at devil's dyke 1-60.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 77
  • devil at devil's dyke 2-60.jpg
    devil at devil's dyke 2-60.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 66
  • devil at devil's dyke 3-60.jpg
    devil at devil's dyke 3-60.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 69
  • seers at devil's dyke 1-60.jpg
    seers at devil's dyke 1-60.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 69
  • seers at devil's dyke 2-60.jpg
    seers at devil's dyke 2-60.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 74

Netzach

Finally, we stopped off in Rottingdean, about two miles down the road from where we live and I took photos of 4 cards that show the sea, against a backdrop of the sea. By this time the light was quite poor again and the wind was quite strong. The four cards are the 8 of Cups, the 2 of Pentacles, the 2 of Wands and the 3 of Wands (which is the one I signed).

Attachments

• tdsea1-60.jpg
    tdsea1-60.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 83
  • tdsea2-60.jpg
    tdsea2-60.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 86