Traveling AT Member Deck

Jeannette

Shipping the "Traveling Deck"

Here's some information on domestic and international shipping (from the U.S.) that hopefully will help make things easy for those who don't send a lot of packages. We'd all hate to see the "traveling deck" held up at one location for too long due to shipping problems!

Unpacked, the deck weighs about 10 oz. (about .3 kg). It should be possible to keep the packed weight under 1 lb. (.45 kg) if the packing materials are chosen carefully. If the box with the deck arrives to you in good condition, then you may wish to save the packing materials and reuse them.

=====
SHIPPING INFORMATION FOR SENDERS & RECIPIENTS INSIDE THE U.S.
=====

For those of us who are in the U.S., and will be passing the deck on to another participant in the U.S., I'd seriously recommend using the U.S. Postal Service. The USPS had a bad rap for a while -- perhaps originally deserved, but no more, IMO. I've had reports from customers who say that USPS delivery in their area is not too good, but they're in a very, very small minority. All I can say is that in 4-1/2 years of business, we've never had a domestic shipment get completely lost. And the number of packages we've had go temporarily astray can be counted on one hand with fingers left over.

With the USPS, you effectively have two service choices:

- Priority Mail
- Parcel Post (a.k.a. First Class Mail)​

Unless you live very, very near the next recipient, you may be surprised to find that there's virtually no difference in cost between Priority Mail and Parcel Post for a 1 lb. package. If you're kind enough to add package tracking to the shipment, Parcel Post will likely even cost more. So Priority mail is generally the better choice, as it can be delivered up to 2.5x faster than Parcel Post. But you can check the cost of your various options by using the USPS online rate calculator at the following link:

Edited to note: the rate for shipping a package of 1 lb. or less by Priority Mail within the U.S. -- AND ITS TERRITORIES AND APO ADDRESSES -- is a constant $3.85, regardless of where you are, or where the recipient is. If the package is < 1 lb. (and ours will be, just barely), you can be in Florida and ship to Alaska, and the cost will be $3.85. If you "manually" add the Delivery Confirmation service, that's another .45 cents (.55 with Parcel Post), so then the total postage is $4.30. But as noted below, you can get Delivery Confirmation free with Priority mail if you purchase and print the postage online.

Please note that in our situation, we can NOT use the media mail option. Tarot decks do NOT qualify for media mail, unless they are part of a larger deck/book set. The USPS does NOT consider this to be up for negotiation, despite my having had several email exchanges with customers who insist otherwise. I've been through this over and over again with our local p.o., and I have to admit that in the end, the USPS regulations that I've read are very clear on the matter. If you send the deck by media mail and the postal inspectors decide to open your package, it may be sent back to you, or at the least will be sent to the next recipient with postage due charged.

If you are able to affix the correct postage to the package, you won't even have to take it to the post office to mail it. You can just put the postage on the box, and set it out for carrier pickup just like you would a letter.

Better still, if you have a credit card, you can print a Priority shipping label online and get FREE delivery confirmation as part of the deal. (The USPS doesn't offer online label printing & payment for parcel post shipments.) The link to online shipping label printing is:

https://sss-web.usps.com/cns/landing.do

You have to set up an account (just like you would with many online businesses that accept credit cards), but it's not hard -- you just give them your address and your credit card info, and you're good to go!

I'll include some Priority Mail stickers in the package with the deck, so those who care to use Priority mail can mark the box clearly. If the deck was sent to you by Priority mail, and you use the same box to reship the deck by non-Priority mail means, you'll have to remove or completely obliterate the sticker. Regardless of how you decide to send the deck onward, though, please retain the unused stickers and pass them on to the next person, in case he or she decides to use the Priority mail option.

Of course, you may choose to use any shipping service you like. But in my experience, UPS and FedEx (the two most common commercial services in the U.S.) provide no better service (usually equal, but not necessarily better), and almost always cost more money when comparing equal delivery timeframes.

=====
SHIPPING INFORMATION FOR U.S. SENDERS TO NON-U.S. RECIPIENTS
=====

I realize that the plan is to circulate the deck in the U.S. first, then send the deck on to the next country or continent, to be circulated there -- all with the intent of minimizing postage costs. However, depending on how quickly the signup list fills up, it strikes me as possible that the deck could end up back in the U.S. once or twice, to be sent overseas again in a subsequent "round." To that end, I include this information for U.S. participants to whom the duty of sending the deck outside the U.S. may fall.

Once again, if you can keep the packed weight of the deck at 1 lb. or less, the shipping cost shouldn't be too bad. There are very few places in the world that you can't send a 1 lb. package by the international mail system (i.e., to the postal service of the destination country, via the USPS) by airmail for US$ 10 or less. I would, however, seriously discourage shipment by surface mail. Surface mail is usually about half the cost of airmail, but is notoriously unreliable, and certainly much, much, MUCH slower. And with 100 participants who all have the option of keeping the deck for up to 2 weeks, we're looking at over 4 years of circulation time if everyone holds on to the deck for the maximum period, then sends it along via a FAST method. So just imagine what will happen if we all choose a method of shipment that could be up to 12x slower in some cases!

In my experience, purchasing insurance for an overseas shipment via the USPS is a waste of money. Even if the USPS tries its best to help you with an insurance claim, the post office of the overseas destination may deny it. Save yourself the money and skip the insurance. If the deck gets lost in transit, I'll see if there's something I can do to replace it (although granted, the signatures and the "colorful history" of the deck couldn't be replaced -- but how do you put a dollar value on that, anyway?).

To ship a 1 lb. package overseas, you'll need to fill out USPS customs form CN 22 (this form is green on the left, and white on the right). For purposes of our present project, mark on the customs form that the package is a GIFT, with a value of US$ 10 (or less, or $0, if you prefer). This is important, in order to help minimize the possibility that the recipient will be charged customs duties when it arrives in his or her country. I've found that you can never guarantee that the Customs office in a particular country on a particular day won't decide to charge a duty anyway -- but in general, in most countries, they're not supposed to do that for gifts of low monetary value.

You can determine the exact cost of shipping the package to a particular destination country using the same link I gave above for calculating the cost of domestic shipments. But you're pretty much going to have to go to the post office anyway to drop off the package -- the USPS doesn't much like to pick up international shipments at your mailbox, because of Customs declaration procedures and whatnot. So just pack up the deck and march down to your nearest post office, ask for customs form CN 22, fill it out, then give the package and the form to the clerk for weighing and determination of the final charges.

INTERESTING NOTE: If there's anyone on the list who has an APO address overseas (usually someone serving in the U.S. military, or residing with family serving in the military), the package could be sent to that person at the domestic mail rate, using the instructions given in the preceding section (although you can't print labels for APO addresses on line). That would be a great way to get the package overseas for a low cost, if possible.

And for those of you outside the U.S. shipping to another international destination: check the online information for your country's postal service, as they likely to have the details you'll require to determine what customs forms you need, should you be asked to send the package onward to a destination outside your own country.

Hope this info helps! I will probably edit this post in the future as I think of more details that might be useful.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Daizdy

OakDragon said:
Are we sure we want to sign the cards themselves? Signing the backs (especially) might impact readings with them (e.g. knowing which card is coming up from having seen a journal entry about who signed it).
I wondered myself if signing the back of the cards might effect a reading but I think signing the cards themselves will impart good energy from each member using the deck. When the cards have all been signed I don't really think a person is going to memorize who's name is on what card. Adding a blank deck to sign would be adding weight/bulk, so by signing the back of the cards we're keeping shipping costs down.

OakDragon said:
Is the 100 person limit a bit much? Remember, 100 people x 2 weeks each = 200 weeks or about 4 years... do we really want this to take that long?
Two weeks is the "limit". I felt that with people's lives being so busy, two weeks would be sufficient time to be able to use the deck. I'm hoping that each and every participant will not take the entire two weeks. I know that the deck is going to take alot of time to circulate. Hopefully less than a year but I expect about that much time. But, all this time and travel will only add to the "specialness" of the deck.

OakDragon said:
One further thought occurs. How about we give this deck to Solandia after this is over? Wouldn't it be a nice gift to her from the members of AT?
The thought was considered to present it as a "surprise" gift but in the end it was decided that the first deck would be auctioned off and the proceeds go to Solandia to use for sponsoring needful non-paying member's subscriptions. It is an option for the winning bidder to give the deck to Solandia as their personal gift to her if they choose too. By auctioning the deck though, a non-paying member and Solandia (if she makes a profit at all) will benefit.

OakDragon

Daizdy said:
When the cards have all been signed I don't really think a person is going to memorize who's name is on what card.

Good point.

Two weeks is the "limit". I felt that with people's lives being so busy, two weeks would be sufficient time to be able to use the deck. I'm hoping that each and every participant will not take the entire two weeks. I know that the deck is going to take alot of time to circulate. Hopefully less than a year but I expect about that much time. But, all this time and travel will only add to the "specialness" of the deck.

I know that a person would not have to take the whole two weeks, but even if each person only takes one week, that's still two years, and that does not include the time spent shipping the deck from person to person (which would probably add another 3 to 5 days for everyone in the US.. don't know about other countries... and time taken between continents would certainly be much longer.) That's up to at least three years right there, and still a conservative estimate. I know the scope of the project adds to its specialness, but do we really want it to take that long? Maybe we do. Just a thought, anyway.

The thought was considered to present it as a "surprise" gift but in the end it was decided that the first deck would be auctioned off and the proceeds go to Solandia to use for sponsoring needful non-paying member's subscriptions. It is an option for the winning bidder to give the deck to Solandia as their personal gift to her if they choose too. By auctioning the deck though, a non-paying member and Solandia (if she makes a profit at all) will benefit.

Even better. That's an excellent idea!

Daizdy

OakDragon said:
I know that a person would not have to take the whole two weeks, but even if each person only takes one week, that's still two years, and that does not include the time spent shipping the deck from person to person (which would probably add another 3 to 5 days for everyone in the US.. don't know about other countries... and time taken between continents would certainly be much longer.) That's up to at least three years right there, and still a conservative estimate. I know the scope of the project adds to its specialness, but do we really want it to take that long? Maybe we do. Just a thought, anyway.

That is a very valid point you're making. My first thought was to limit it to 78 people. Personally, I like the thought of 100 people. For me, it's the journey not the end that appeals to me. If other participants feel 78 participants would be better than 100, then we'll change it. But, we may not even get 78 people to sign up....

OakDragon

Daizdy said:
But, we may not even get 78 people to sign up....

That's a good point. At the moment it looks like we may only get three. :(

Daizdy

Patience grasshoppa....:D

bleuivy

Well, it's four now. Don't worry - I'm sure the list of people who want to get their hands on the deck will grow to be very long indeed. :)

gregory

Surely the deck would fit in a Global Priority envelope to overseas ? Flat fee and faster (in my experience) than small packet etc..... $5 - though you do have to do the customs form.

Signed: she who wishes Canada had such a thing (drums fingers waiting for deck.)

Jeannette

gregory said:
Surely the deck would fit in a Global Priority envelope to overseas \?
Actually, the World Spirit deck is rather wider than your "average" tarot (read: RWS), so it might be a bit of a tight squeeze.

Of course, it's up to the person who has to send the deck from the U.S. to elsewhere how to ship it. But we've had some reports of the outer box being damaged in transit in those Global Priority envelopes -- and as you know, we bubblewrap the cr*p out of everthing we send. But there's just not room in those envelopes to add any more protective padding, so it's always a bit of a risk. We ship Global Priority on request, but in general, we recommend against it.

It is, however, an admittedly highly-reliable service; I don't think we've ever had a Global Priority envelope lost or delayed. And yes, U.S. Customs form CN 22 is still required for Global Priority shipments.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Daizdy

Would anyone object if I occasionally bump someone ahead of you? For the sake of saving travel time and costs. Since we'd be saving time, I think you would still get the deck when you expect to receive it. In this case the deck is traveling from Washington, DC, to TX and then back to DC. It doesn't make sense to me to do it this way. If someone objects please let me know...