Trimmed Borders/Altered Decks Index

Cassandra022

It's a major improvement, the trimming. I have been back and forth about this deck, and decided after seeing a youtube video on it not to get it. I usually like black borders, but feel with this deck they do not flatter. Plus the glossiness (which also USUALLY does not bother me) But - seeing yours trimmed - I like it!

this is most excellent. back on the wishlist this does indeed go. i can deal with the gloss but the size was a total dealbreaker for me. far too huge for my tastes. nice to know that if i eventually get this, i can trim it to more manageable proportions. greatly appreciate the picture!

Oink

I gilded my Navigators of the Mystic Sea deck in Tsukineko Brilliance Starlite Black, which is a shimmery graphite color. I don't have a before/after comparison pic, but the edges were just as white as the card borders to begin with. For you others who use these Tsukineko pads, how many decks do can you usually do with one before you refill/reroll your pad?

I chose this deck and this color for a couple reasons: this was my first attempt at this, and I didn't want to mess up a HTF deck or choose a really dramatic color that would show mistakes easily. The imagery in this deck is very bold, and I didn't want the edges to compete, so the Starlite Black seemed like a good choice.

The only additional materials I used were some newspapers to lay out the cards on, and some paper towels and water to clean up the cards.

For application, I grab the card and drag each card edge and corner through the inkpad once or twice. After the first card, I didn't even worry about if I was being messy. At least with this deck it's not really about where you put the ink; it's more about what the ink will adhere to in that amount of time (the borders of the cards where there's breaks in the lamination) and what it won't (any laminated part).

Once I got it good and inky, I blotted/wiped the extra ink off both faces of the card with a dry paper towel. If you drag towards the edges you'll be less likely to smear more on the card, but don't worry if you do - it'll come off. Then I used a damp (not soaking wet!) paper towel to wash off any remaining ink smears, fingerprints, etc. The important thing is to make sure you scrutinize them closely at this point - any mess you find now will wash off, but I guarantee nothing if it gets left on there for more than a minute or two since that's the longest I left anything. When done, I laid the cards out side by side on some newspaper. This is pretty quick-drying stuff, but I didn't see any reason to take chances so I let them sit overnight before re-stacking them.

For anyone that's scared of trying this, it's not scary at all! It's way less tedious and risky than trimming, and it didn't make my hands hurt afterwards (not that I'm gonna stop trimming anytime soon either, but...).

Attachments

• navigators-gilded-01.jpg
    navigators-gilded-01.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 245
  • navigators-gilded-02.jpg
    navigators-gilded-02.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 464
  • navigators-gilded-03.jpg
    navigators-gilded-03.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 214

AJ

nice job Oink. I've done two or three decks and what I didn't do was run them across the pad twice so from a side view like your images I can see the occasional spot I missed. I just yank that card and out do it again :)

Nice job. I've been thinking about doing my Llewellyn as I've already taken a gold paint pen and gone over those lines in the borders with it. A little up-perk if you will.

Laura Borealis

That looks really good, and thank you for describing your process.

Hmm, now I'm looking at my decks wondering which (if any) I should gild.

Stormdancer

For application, I grab the card and drag each card edge and corner through the inkpad once or twice. After the first card, I didn't even worry about if I was being messy. At least with this deck it's not really about where you put the ink; it's more about what the ink will adhere to in that amount of time (the borders of the cards where there's breaks in the lamination) and what it won't (any laminated part).

Once I got it good and inky, I blotted/wiped the extra ink off both faces of the card with a dry paper towel. If you drag towards the edges you'll be less likely to smear more on the card, but don't worry if you do - it'll come off. Then I used a damp (not soaking wet!) paper towel to wash off any remaining ink smears, fingerprints, etc.
I SO want to try this and I'm SO scared to try.

strings of life

You have inspired me to do the same and I have arrived at a decision:
Tarot of the Magical Forest in Galaxy Gold!

ETA: Oh dear... Looked at the index to see what others had done with this deck. It looks WAY too good trimmed - I must do that first!
Yes, trim it and then gilt it; it changes the deck. It's a favorite of mine (even though it's not listed in my favorites list, since that list is reserved for reading decks). If you find my pictures, I used a lively bronze/copper color. Gold would look lovely too!

I have a purple pad for my trimmed Fey (which came to me trimmed my Cassandra022), but I'm having second thoughts...and am thinking about silver/pewter! Hmm...because, purple just sounds so tacky. It just seemed like a good idea when I was at the craft store (and it was on sale). But silver, ah, that just seems so Fey!

Re: refilling the pads, I know that you can, but am not sure how to. Are the refils the liquid ink that I have seen? Do you just pour it on the pad? If anyone can shed any light, please do!

Laura Borealis

I think I'll edge my Ancient Italian. But I need to choose a color. Something that's subtle but will add richness.

Cassandra022

Yes, trim it and then gilt it; it changes the deck. It's a favorite of mine (even though it's not listed in my favorites list, since that list is reserved for reading decks). If you find my pictures, I used a lively bronze/copper color. Gold would look lovely too!

I have a purple pad for my trimmed Fey (which came to me trimmed my Cassandra022), but I'm having second thoughts...and am thinking about silver/pewter! Hmm...because, purple just sounds so tacky. It just seemed like a good idea when I was at the craft store (and it was on sale). But silver, ah, that just seems so Fey!

Re: refilling the pads, I know that you can, but am not sure how to. Are the refils the liquid ink that I have seen? Do you just pour it on the pad? If anyone can shed any light, please do!

i vote for silver too, aura. i was considering gilting that deck before i decided to sell it, and silver was going to be my choice too. it just feels right.

oh and Oink, great job! I have that deck trimmed and gilted in pewter but you can barely tell, might have to go over it with silver or something some time. the starlite color is nice, though not as black as i expected :0

and yes, I second (third?) the trim magical forest first suggestion :]